Sign in to follow this  
dsawan

A Bridge too far- Ambush scene

One of my fav scenes from the film. been on a binge latley on war films.

First thing come to mind was Tigers In The Mud written by a German tank guy. Near the war's end he had troubles motivating his troops but managed an ambush. He had a couple SP of some kind forgot what and took out a column of Shermans I believe. No infantry and no Air Force involved in that one. Gave that book away so don't recall the details.

A great movie! One of my favorites... Elliot Gould running towards the bridge, thinking they're taking it intact... ka-BOOM... there it goes. The look on his face was priceless. cool.gif

This ambush scene was actually based on a true WWII incident in Villers-Bocage, Normandy, whereas SS Tiger Ace Whittmann, with a small colmn of Tigers (4) ambushed an entire column of British tanks and annihilated them. Obviously it wasn't a balanced fight as the Tigers were positioned to the side, and far more powerful than the on-field British Tanks at the time.

The FireFly was present in the column, but once it was knocked out, it was a free-for-all for the Tigers.

Edited by OvS

Isn't that the event in the Tiger Ace campaign in CoH: Tales of Victory?

Isn't that the event in the Tiger Ace campaign in CoH: Tales of Victory?

It's probably an adaptation to it. You have to chase and chase and try to hit it from behind. That was a tough one, but easier than the Red Ball Express scenario. All was going well until the Panzer division showed up and I had nothing to kill them with.... I was caught by suprise.

I love that game... it's like having all your little Army men when you were a kid finally come alive... totally unscripted. Much better than the Close Combat series.

OvS

Actually it is the second movie about Market Garden. I have a copy of British movie made in 1945/6 in Arnhem and Oosterbeek in the middle of a lot of the original wreckage and ruined buildings that had not yet been completely removed cq rebuilt at that time. . Very sobering experience......

The whole thing is still very much alive over here, with General Sosabowski and his Polish Parachute Brigade getting a posthume and belated "Militaire Willemsorde" two years ago (quite a slap in the face of Montgomery actually). It is the highest and very rare Dutch war decoration.

Furthermore, every year there is a large memorial ceremony at Oosterbeek War Cemetary, including fly by's and parachute landings on the original landing grounds. Although in rapidly diminishing numbers, lots of veterans return to the scene and some of them even make the parajump again (together with a somewhat younger soldier of course...)

Hou doe,

Derk grin.gif

Edited by Derk

First thing come to mind was Tigers In The Mud written by a German tank guy. Near the war's end he had troubles motivating his troops but managed an ambush. He had a couple SP of some kind forgot what and took out a column of Shermans I believe. No infantry and no Air Force involved in that one. Gave that book away so don't recall the details.

Otto Carius - Tigers in the Mud

At the end of the war, he was Company Commander of a Jagdtiger ( Hunting Tiger) Heavy Tank Hunter Company.

I have his book, signed personally by him. He is still alive.

~

Actually it is the second movie about Market Garden. I have a copy of British movie made in 1945/6 in Arnhem and Oosterbeek in the middle of a lot of the original wreckage and ruined buildings that had not yet been completely removed cq rebuilt at that time. . ...

Derk grin.gif

Derk,

What is the name of the movie? I'd like to get it if it's available. Like so many of us, I collect them and really enjoy them all. Sounds like a very good one, like The Longest Day was.

When I toured Normandy 2 years ago, it was very sobering... calm and serene. I was there in February, and I was lucky, it was warm in the 50's and sunny all week. There was no one around at any of the memorials, but the days were short. I loved it, if you can use that term to describe a place that so many died. I feel priveledged that I could be there and see what my Uncles' saw during their time.

OvS

Derk,

What is the name of the movie? I'd like to get it if it's available. Like so many of us, I collect them and really enjoy them all. Sounds like a very good one, like The Longest Day was.

When I toured Normandy 2 years ago, it was very sobering... calm and serene. I was there in February, and I was lucky, it was warm in the 50's and sunny all week. There was no one around at any of the memorials, but the days were short. I loved it, if you can use that term to describe a place that so many died. I feel priveledged that I could be there and see what my Uncles' saw during their time.

OvS

Hi OvS.

It's called "Theirs is the Glory" and I guess it's downloadable somewhere on the net in the mean time. Youtube has fragments.

I got my copy years ago at an Air Force Open Day where the Airborne Museum Hartenstein had a stand.

My eldest brother had obtained a special foldable paratrooopers bike years before that and gave it to them.

The museum was extremely happy with it, as it was 99.9% original (except for a tire plug) and I got one of the last copies of the movie (limited edition of 750)....

Hou doe,

Derk good.gif

Gotta love the CAS Hawks/Thunderbolts/Texans... such an epic scene clapping.gif !

Edited by Rambler 1-1