Sign in to follow this  
Stiffy

RFC uniform on a budget!

Ok, many of you know that I'm a mature student and as such not the wealthiest of people. For a while now I've wanted a replica ww1 uniform but have never had the cash.

A month and a half ago I quit smoking and as an extra incentive I've decided to spend the savings on myself.

So I have set myself a challenge to see if it is possible to put together something resembling an RFC uniform without paying out for expensive repros or originals. I think I should make it clear that I am not going for 100% authentic, just something that looks the part for fancy dress etc... but would not stand up to the great war society!

This is what I have gathers so far for a few quid here and there.....

Firstly I already had the replica wings ( put a post about it a while back) but have added a very good replica of the cap badge (is very authentic as has metal spikes instead of loops and pins, had an original raf one which had spikes).

As it there is currently noone producing replica RFC buttons and a genuine set sells for around £100 I have decided to use general service buttons, these where used in ww1 whenever there was no regimental button available. All the buttons are originals, hard to date as pattern didnt change but more likely from ww2, managed to find a full set from the same maker so match perfectly.

Costume01.jpg

I managed to find a mint condition unissued service cap. This is Nato surplus but very little has changed in the pattern since ww1. I will fit 2 service buttons to the sides and the cap badge to the front, still need to find a ww1 style strap for it though.

Costume02.jpg

The tunic has been the trickiest part to replicate. Good replicas cost around £300 and originals around £500 in good condition. I have found a compromise by using a british tunic from the 1970s. The general layout of the late ww1 tunic (the one without the braid on the sleeves) didn't change a great deal until 1980. The only noticable difference is the 1970s tunic is a little shorter and the lower pockets a little smaller.... but at £10 I cant really complain! Currently the tunic has the buttons of the Ulster defence regiment but i will replace with the general service buttons.

Costume03.jpg

The final piece I have aquired so far is by far the best find, an original inter war pair of elephant ear riding breeches. These are very close to the pattern used in ww1 and are in pristine condition. Easily worth £50... I paid £5 !!!!

Costume04.jpg

Next stop.... how cheap can I get a sam brown belt???

I'll post more as I work on the uniform.

Edited by Stiffy

What a great idea Stiffy, hope we get photo's of you wearing it?.That will be alright for the mess,but next you will need you fly outfit.

What a great idea Stiffy, hope we get photo's of you wearing it?.That will be alright for the mess,but next you will need you fly outfit.

lol might be a while before I can afford the leathers. But in a way this is all part of the flight kit as pilots wore their uniform under the leather coat (except the hat of course!). In fact you would be court marshalled if you didn't wear your full unifom when flying (if caught out of uniform by the enemy you would be shot as a spy).

I'll get the whole set eventually! But maybe not until after my degree...

Edited by Stiffy

Nicely done, Stiffy. Instead of leather boots you might consider making some puttees. Leather coat won't be easy, but if there are any charity shops near the University you might check them out regularly-- its amazing what people will donate, everything from crap to real haute-cuture. I've a good m8 who volunteers some time in one such shop up in the Bolton area, I can ask him to keep an eye out if you like.

Nicely done, Stiffy. Instead of leather boots you might consider making some puttees. Leather coat won't be easy, but if there are any charity shops near the University you might check them out regularly-- its amazing what people will donate, everything from crap to real haute-cuture. I've a good m8 who volunteers some time in one such shop up in the Bolton area, I can ask him to keep an eye out if you like.

That would be fantastic! always interested in anything like that, or any uniform bits they may get in. As for boots the two main options for officers were full riding boots (expensive unless lucky) or brown ancle boots with leather full calf gaiters, I may get lucky and get a cheap pair of gaiters from ebay as they are still made for hunting and riding.

Edited by Stiffy

Ok, been a good day for adding to the uniform!

After stating up the post it jogged my memory about the box of old uniform bits I have in the loft (mainly ww2 or after) so I went up and had a look and sure enough there was a standard british army service dress shirt (probably 1980s).

The only pattern difference between this and the ww1 version is that in ww1 they only unbuttoned half way down. As the extra buttons on mine will be hidden by the tunic it looks identical.

Costume05.jpg

Then about an hour ago I popped into town for some shopping, as my local spar shop is next to an army surplus store I thought I'd have a look in and for the kingly sum of £2 each

I managed to get....

A British army service tie (unchanged since ww1)

Costume06.jpg

And some standard issue braces, not sure how (if at all) these have changed since ww1 but as they are hidden doesnt really matter!

Costume07.jpg

Still only just scraping below the budget I used to spend on tobbaco

For US members - cigarettes are heavily taxed in the UK a packet of 20 cigarettes costs nearly 10 US Dollars!

If I have some time to spare, I will be glad to search the net as well as contact some surplus/repro vendors i know. I started (and still do) doing ww2 german (wehrmacht, not ss!) reenacting when i was about 16 and know all about getting a decent looking kit together on a budget. I was able to get a basic kit for $50 which included ankle boots, gaiters, wool pants, suspenders and undershirt/sleepshirt.Of course now that I'm older and over the years have aquired pieces little by little, most of my kit is of higher quality repro items, but that takes time as you know. Anywho, I will talk to my contacts and see what they can tell me as far as cheap prices and close match cheaper surplus. Good luck and fun doing it!

The shirt and tie are spot on for the uniform, all that is needed now is a collar pin (basically a large brass safety pin) to go accros the back of the tie and through the collars.

I will also need to track down some RFC collar badges for the jacket lapels.

Costume08.jpg

If I have some time to spare, I will be glad to search the net as well as contact some surplus/repro vendors i know. I started (and still do) doing ww2 german (wehrmacht, not ss!) reenacting when i was about 16 and know all about getting a decent looking kit together on a budget. I was able to get a basic kit for $50 which included ankle boots, gaiters, wool pants, suspenders and undershirt/sleepshirt.Of course now that I'm older and over the years have aquired pieces little by little, most of my kit is of higher quality repro items, but that takes time as you know. Anywho, I will talk to my contacts and see what they can tell me as far as cheap prices and close match cheaper surplus. Good luck and fun doing it!

That would be great, any leads I can get! Just so long as they are cheap!

With your interest in german uniform have you ever considered putting together a ww1 german pilots uniform?

I also dug out my wermacht uniform from the loft.... It's awful! Repainted spanish helmet with a converted swedish jacket! Used to have some 1950s border guard jackboots but they fell apart.... years ago had an africakorp uniform, shouldnt have got rid of it really... appeared to be original too.

Edited by Stiffy

Here's the link Stiffy. www.wephaus.com These people are really good friends of mine and really know their stuff. I get most of my reenactment supplies thru them. Have a look around and send them an email explaining what you are trying to put together and if they can't get something, they very well may be able to point you to someone who can. Very good customer service and lots of neat items. May be able to get some leathers that are close to what you are looking for, just ask! As for me putting together a ww1 impression at all, no, not yet. But you have certainly given me inspiration to!

Well just spent the last few hours stitching! Amazing the difference brass buttons and the wings makes. Just needs the collar badges ans rank pips now to finish the jacket.

Costume09.jpg

Costume10.jpg

Stiffy will you be an officer and a gentlemen or like me cannon fodder?

Stiffy will you be an officer and a gentlemen or like me cannon fodder?

I'll have to be an officer and a gentleman... and not just because I have delusions of grandeur!

Only commisioned officers from 2nd lieutenant and up would have worn a uniform like this.

Lower ranks had the unfortunate honour of wearing this....

afc-nco.jpg

Which quite frankly makes the wearer look like a tit.

So it will be at least one pip for me!

Edited by Stiffy

It would suit me fine then because thats what the wife calls me al the time. good.gif

Stiffy, what fun. Thanks for showing us your project. The jacket is coming nicely. Best wishes for getting all the bits and bobs you need/want to be happy with it.

Thought Id try putting together what I have so far to see how it looks. Still a long way to go.

Visually the biggest missing element I think is the sam brown belt and shoulder strap, got a strap for the cap on the way for a couple of pounds. Not happy with the colour of the breeches so may sell them to fund some lighter coloured ones if I can... spent my £10 budget for this week though so will have to wait!

If it all lookes a bit stretches its because the manaquin I have would be about 7 feet tall if it had a head! Usually displays a replica of darth vader i bought in more solvent times!

Costume11.jpg

Costume12.jpg

Edited by Stiffy

Went out to a local craft and antique fair this morning. Found a stall selling military badges, buttons etc and picked up these vintage brass and enamel officer's shoulder pips. These are quite hard to date but could even be originals from ww1. Likely pre ww2 anyway as they where quickly replaced with cloth to save on brass. They are a matching pair and a matching set of four from different uniforms.

Cost my the bargain price of £3 the lot

Costume13.jpg

For now I have used the pair to make the uniform a second lieutenant (point of interest... over here in the UK we pronounce it "Leftenant")

Costume14.jpg

Still no luck finding a cheap sam brown!

BRAVO!

Outstanding Stiffy, absolutely outstanding Sir. You are well on the road to a fine finished uniform. BTW, your project is quite similar to one I am in the beginning stages of myself, and I will start a thread about it today as you may find it of interest.

Again, I applaud your ingenuity and creativity Stiffy. Very good!

clapping.gif

Cheers!

Lou

I'll have to be an officer and a gentleman... and not just because I have delusions of grandeur!

Only commisioned officers from 2nd lieutenant and up would have worn a uniform like this.

afc-nco.jpg

Hahahahaha...what a Dork!...Even a Cavalry Officer (whom this will have been based on) wouldn't look that daft!...who the hell needs Jodpurs in a Camel...you are in it...not on it!

Have to say m8..you have done a brilliant job!..thats you sorted for any Fancy Dress parties that come along for the next 40 yrs!!!....brilliant!

With a French one coming from Lou...I wouldnt be at all surprised if we see Olham getting in on the Act too!!!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

afc-nco.jpg

Good God man... hit the gym and at least FILL the uniform!!! It's one thing to look like a man in a whimpy uniform... it's another to BE a whimp in a whimpy uniform. Fill out those shoulders solider!!

Stiffy... that uniform you are making is fantastic! Best of luck... keep looking on the I-net... or maybe head over to a leather shop, leather worker and see if they can make you one? If all else fails, it's maybe the only real expensive piece you'll need to buy, but worth it. Leather that old, from WWI or even pre-WWII would be very brittle unless it was properly maintained.

OvS

Stiffy, I wouldn't worry too much about the colour/shade etc of the strides, the real chaps tended to get their kit made up personally from different tailors, who used different materials and colours.

I'm still a little stunned by the amazing good luck i've had today.....

Thought I'd call in at a local antique shop which I knew had some nice militaria in it (including one of goerings actual uniforms... yes really, amazingly they also have the first ever tramp outfit worn by chaplin!!!!! cost them a fortune)...

anyway one of their british tunics at the back of a case on a rack caught my eye, the owner said he thought it was ww2 and i could have for £50, I beat him down to £40....

Point is the guy knows a fair bit about ww2 german uniforms... and thats really where his expertise stops, otherwise he would have realised he had just sold me......

A genuine first world war officer's jacket in superb condition!!!!!!!!!!!

still in shock, it's worth a lot more than £40!!!!

DSCF0798.jpg

DSCF0802.jpg

It is possible that this jacket could be as late as early 1920s but impossible to be sure as exactly the same style as ww1. I can identify as ww1 pattern based on several elements, firstly the cut is in the ww1 style with a very long, full pleated skirt with huge lower pockets, this is to fit over the riding breeches. pattern was changed in early 1920s when breeches replaced with trousers.

DSCF0803.jpg

also the front portion of the jacket is made in two sections with a ticket pocket on the seam (usually hidden behind Sam Brown).

DSCF0799.jpg

The uniform is from the Royal Army Ordnance Corps and hass all of it's original buttons... sadly the collar dogs are missing and there are marks on the shoulders indicating that it used to have pips for a lieutenant.

DSCF0800.jpg

Needless to say I will not be converting this valuable antique to RFC... but I will be photographing and measuring it extensively then will sell it on and use the profits towards my replica.

Now there is a rare one Stiffy, and a beaut too! Good luck found you on that deal Sir.

Cheers!

Lou