Sign in to follow this  
Olham

The "Opposite Campaign" Full DiD

Journal

Date 1 Jun 1917

Ober Lt. Otto Matic

Unit Jasta 6, 2 wing

I led 2nd wing this afternoon on a defence of the Airfield at Permont. The flight of 4 Albatross D-3 s were at

5000ft and hafe way to our target when we spotted a mixed flight of 8 English a/c. They were on an intercepting course so I signaled attack and started a climing turn to get up to their 8 or 10000 ft level. The tommy a/c split up The 4 sopwith strutters circled as the BE2Cs went to wards Permont. Lehmann to his wingman and attacked the strutters as my wing and I attacked the BE2Cs. I fired too far out, used up most of my ammo, Finally at point blank he caught fire and slant down to crash. All of the flight returned safely. However my wingman Bover was wounded. Must try to get closer.

Flew my first mission tonight but forgot the camera and notebook. I can say its a nightmare up there with many more enemy aircraft. WOW. I do have one claim and then tucked my tail between my legs and ran.

Journal

Date 1 Jun 1917

Ober Lt. Otto Matic

Unit Jasta 6, 2 wing

I led 2nd wing this afternoon on a defence of the Airfield at Permont. The flight of 4 Albatross D-3 s were at

5000ft and hafe way to our target when we spotted a mixed flight of 8 English a/c. They were on an intercepting course so I signaled attack and started a climing turn to get up to their 8 or 10000 ft level. The tommy a/c split up The 4 sopwith strutters circled as the BE2Cs went to wards Permont. Lehmann to his wingman and attacked the strutters as my wing and I attacked the BE2Cs. I fired too far out, used up most of my ammo, Finally at point blank he caught fire and slant down to crash. All of the flight returned safely. However my wingman Bover was wounded. Must try to get closer. Pic Taken by Bover before getting wounded.

URL=http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=10846]gallery_50835_358_87495.jpg[/url]

Flew my first mission tonight but forgot the camera and notebook. I can say its a nightmare up there with many more enemy aircraft. WOW. I do have one claim and then tucked my tail between my legs and ran.

He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day rofl.gif

Ok, I decided to give it a shot this afternoon. Signed on to RNAS-1, 1 June 1917. I hadn't tried a Tripe since sometime in P2...been a couple of years. I'm finding it whippy and hard to control, but I'm used to Albatrosses....

First thing I run into is a flock of guys in Albatrosses, with red paint all over them. 5 of them basically scattered and shot up the entire squadron. Wow...

2'd mission, ran into the same guys, but only 3 of them. Got some rounds into them, they shot back. My plane was hit. Interesting thing is, when I got hit, I was just over the trees and just at stall speed, so as I tried to turn away from the attack the plane stalled and flipped over on it's back, floating into the trees. I figured that was that... but no... the manager just advanced. Not even a hospital stay! I've not had that happen before while flying DiD.

3d mission featured those boys in the red planes again...about 8 of them. One of them ran into me in mid air, so that's the end of this pilot.

Carrick, on BE2c you can get as close as to touch his rudder - they don't have rear gunners.

Von Guber - where the planes ALL red? All over, and all of them?

I knew only the Red Baron's like that so far.

I hope to meet them too. Should be him, with his boys of Jasta 11.

Carrick, on BE2c you can get as close as to touch his rudder - they don't have rear gunners.

Von Guber - where the planes ALL red? All over, and all of them?

I knew only the Red Baron's like that so far.

I hope to meet them too. Should be him, with his boys of Jasta 11.

No Kiddin No rear gun? ahhhhhh they are Albatross Fodderbye.gif

Olham,

I'm fairly sure they were Jasta 11, as the planes all had some red on them but in different places. One had a red tail section, some with red wings, stripes etc...

I did see one that was completely red except for blue elevators, but nothing that was only red. I may go back to that day and time with a different pilot and try to find them with labels on, just to see who they all were.

No Kiddin No rear gun? ahhhhhh they are Albatross Fodderbye.gif

Yep, that where the Blue Max's come from in Siggi's campaign.

Yep, that where the Blue Max's come from in Siggi's campaign.

good.gif must find more ammocool.gif

No. 1 Squadron RNAS, Bailleul Asylum 1/6/1917

Patrol Behind Enemy Front Lines

Flying: Sopwith Triplane.

On this day claims: 1 Alb DIII .

We had a patrol around Halluin/Rekkem. On the way back, "Teddy"

Gerrard's A-flight went down low and clashed with Albatros fighters,

short after crossing the lines.

I decided to join the fight; it was on our terrain, and I chased one

craft and hit it severely. It was dark blue, with a red nose. I had

a gun jam, but when the German tried to escape over the line, I got

it cleared and shot him down. He crashed east/south-east of Ypres.

Witnesses: Edgar Gunn, Leif Parker, Tock Swithin, Jeff Evans

Mr. & Mrs. Oldham

17 Harbour Rd.

Helston/Porthleven

Cornwall

GREAT BRITAIN

No. 1 Squadron RNAS, Bailleul Asylum, June 2, 1917

Dear Mum and Dad

Today I have overcome the impression, that the enemy craft are undestroyable.

I have shot down my first Albatros scout! His craft was painted colourful like

the Germans often do. The most of the fuselage was dark blue; the nose was red.

I chased and hit him several times in a low fighting, but then I had a gun jam.

He almost escaped. In the last minute I could clear again, and shoot him down,

short before he crossed the line.

Edgar Gunn, Leif Parker, Jeff Evans and Tock Swithin saw it best, and the boys

where wonderful: they let me have him!

When I came to the wreckage later, the German lay beside the plane, with some

oil smeared cloth covering his head. When I removed it, I saw why the boys had

covered his face. It was badly smashed. He didn't look at all frightening now;

rather pale, faint - like a young student maybe. What irritated me most, was his

staring into eternity - smiling. As if he was glad he was disburdened from this all.

And it was good, that he smiled - somehow.

Wish I could be with you in Porthleven. Having some of your shepperd's pie, mum.

We could walk over to Penrose, dad, and be fishing at the Loe all afternoon.

In the evening I would have a bicycle race with Craig up to the "Blue Anchor" in

Helston. I would let him win, and buy the drinks all evening. Miss that rich flavour

of Dave's Spingo - the best he could brew for the homecoming boys!

Wish I could have that last afternoon again, with Caitlyn at Praa Sands beach...

Gawd! The more I write, the more homesick I get - I think, I better move my bum

over to the mess! This evening will be quite expensive for me - all of No. 1 Squad

must know by know, that I downed my first Hun.

Hope to see you some soon day, perhaps even with Robert also on leave!

Your son David

Edited by Olham

JOURNAL

Ober LT. Otto Matic

Date: 2 Jun 1917

Not a great Day, We had two Scrambles. The 1st was at 1228 hrs The four of us barely got into the air when at

least 4 SE5s were diving I saw four scouts comeing down when I got the 1st burst from two SE 5 s on my tail ( 6 ?) the 6 went into my right Top wing. I broke left and went between the trees then broke right caught another burst along the tail 3and 1 rd behind my seat pulled harder and climbed spotted the field off to the right nosed over

and caught another burst from the two SE5 s Left top wing 6 hits. I reached the end of the field and made a hot (Fast)

landing. Flt tim 10 mins Total hits on my mount 16. Heard that Cruzzdorf s D-3 didnt make it back.

2nd Scramble. 1558hrs Tommys flying high launched 4 Albatross s Mine was only getting 80 percent power so soon fell behind Spotted 8 Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutters in a ragged formation one a/c was far behind so went after him. began fireing at 200 yards the strutters rear gunner fired 2 or 3 bursts some of his rounds hit my gas tank

switch off motor and nosed down landed at nearest airfield (Barely made that one) Heard later that the tommys

got shot up good and my a/c seemed to be the only one hurt.

No. 1 Squadron RNAS, Bailleul Asylum 1/6/1917

Patrol Behind Enemy Front Lines

Flying: Sopwith Triplane.

On this day claims: 1 Alb DIII .

That is a real nice postcard and letter, Olham. Fits the times

Thank you, Ras. And when you google "The Blue Anchor" and "Spingo", and search for

Helston and Porthleven in Google Maps, you'll see it's all there.

Carrick, when you sometimes only get 80 % throttle: move your throttle during the

start phase full forward and full back, before and after pressing "E", several times.

That should ashure you get the full range.

Thank you, Ras. And when you google "The Blue Anchor" and "Spingo", and search for

Helston and Porthleven in Google Maps, you'll see it's all there.

Carrick, when you sometimes only get 80 % throttle: move your throttle during the

start phase full forward and full back, before and after pressing "E", several times.

That should ashure you get the full range.

good.gif Thanks Olham I am still learning I must say that the Albatross handels nicely.

Carrick: I must say that the Albatross handels nicely.

She is a very reliable rugged craft. Not as agile as many others, but also not so nervous.

Aiming and hitting something is easier, and the overall view is simply great.

In other words: I love this Lady!

Journal

Ober LT Otto Matic

Permount, France

WX Hot partly cloudy

Two missions today 3 Jun 1917. The bomber escourt was the longest got off on time at 0932 hrs. The flight of 4 Albatross D-3s was weaving trying to stay with the 5 Bombers heading to clairmarais. Spotted 3 FE2bs at our 2 oclock as we crossed the lines. Signal the flight to attack

since the Fee s were crossing to the bombers position. I got off 2 bursts then swung left as I did so Lt Koch caught some Archie Bursts. I saw his

a/c begin to burn as he entered a clould the a Fee swung by me I began fireing in long bursts but only got a few hits before I ran out of ammo.

Circled and headed home when I spotted my wingman Lt Longeveldt attacking a Fee his bursts were hiting all over the tommy a/c. The Fee

went into a flat spin and was seen to crash on our side of the lines.

The 2nd mission was a short scramble. 6 Albatross s took off after 8 high flying 11/2 Strutters We couldnt get to them before they turned for

home. Re turned and landed. Took off at 1346 Landed at 1355 hrs

gallery_50835_358_16738.jpg Burning Lt Koch from Flack hit

Interesting read, Carrick, short and spot on! That's how I like them!

If you want claims to be confirmed, you should take the time to write the names correct.

Never heard of "Permount" - could it be "Premont", perchance?

:grin:

Edited by Olham

To: Commander

Jasta 6, Premount, France

2 wing, Jasta 6

Date 5 Dec 1917

Subject: Loss of pilot: Otto Matic Jasta 6

Sir, this is the accounting of how we came to loose 2 wing Flight Leader Ober LT Otto Matic. We were on a patrol

between here and Ceurne, France. when we came across another flight being attacked by Sopwith 3 wingers

I Couldnt tell how many because the fur ball allreadt started. There were 5 Hanovers being escourted by 4 Albatross D-3s with Red colorings along in the swriling mess was 4 or 8 Tri wing tommy a/c The signal was given to attack as I and G. Bover engaged a tommy I saw the Flight lead pull away from a smoking Tommy a/c and chased another as a second Tri plane lined up on his tail I saw the Lt Matic turn tighly and smacked yet another Tommy aircraft with his wing then he was gone. Regetfully he aws Just to Keen.

Uuuuhh! Nasty! They die so young these days...

1 June 1917 0815

First day at RNAS-1 and was looking forward to my first patrol over the lines. But our beans and bangers were interrupted by air attack sirens. We rush to our kites but only me and Phillips and O'Leary got airborne. We headed out low to build up our courage and speed. We got some separation and were looking back at the Huns shooting up our field. So when we could see all the blighters were down low, we turned back in. They saw us coming and immediately turned in our direction. We met at least 8 head on and 4 more remained high. We ended up in a swirling fight, the three of us and at many more of the yellow-tailed Alb DIII's. As O'Leary covered my tail, I took shots of opportunity. There were so many Huns I think they got in each other's way and left me opening to put a burst in here and there. I saw one for sure fall to my guns and lose control and crash into the trees. Several others left the fight smoking or showing signs of engine damage or control problems. We continued to put burst after burst into them. O'Leary took a burst and lost a wing but managed to survive the crash. Phillips and I fought until our ammunition was exhausted and then seized an opportunity to bravely run away. We saw only 3 Alb DIII's behind us. When we got back to our own field O'Leary was waiting for us. We compared notes. O'Leary thought I got 9 and Phillips thought he saw 7 fall as a result of my shooting. I claimed the lower estimate.

Wow! Only two of you - like at Pearl Harbour.

When you survive a 'Scramble', you can come in with a lot of kills.

Good it didn't go wrong, Airshark.

Unfortunately, the afternoon mission ended when one of my adversaries ran into me while I was chasing another adversary. I crashed and am hospitalized until the 25th. So, out for Christmas.

So, I think I will start another Brit or Frenchie on the 11th, since we are in for another five days of bad weather.

Edited by Airshark

Ok, I'm in too. Looks like fun, and some good reports to read in this thread drinks.gif

I'll try a Commonwealth pilot methinks.