I noticed that ECM has 3 different types:

Deceptive, Noise, Dual mode.

what do each of them do and what are they effective against?

In theory, deceptive jamming projects a false echo away from the jamming source. This mode may supposedly decoy a missile away from you.

"Noise" generates noise spikes, or "grass" on the enemy's radar screen, preventing him from acquiring you at long range. It however, can be a double-edged sword...as you also supply an excellent point source for a missile equipped with home-on-jam guidance.

Dual mode, is, as the name implies, both deception and noise jamming in unison.

Beat me too it Fubar512... got it spot on... the ALQ-119 pod is a Dual mode pod amongst others... noise Jamming normally wedges out a certain sector on a Radar scope and an AIM-54 Phoenix would give the Jammer a bad day at the office...

Is using both ecm more effective in avoiding missiles or will it work against it?

That depends....

Several years ago, Dave (USAFMTL) and I were testing a new model under multiplayer. I had set the ECM value of that model to a grossly unrealistic level. It was so effective, that even when Dave switched to guns in LCOS mode, his pipper was jumping all over the combining glass. Needless to say, he could not hold a lock long enough to loose a sparrow at me.

When I tried the same model against a ground unit (who's missiles had HOJ enabled) I had SAMs homing in on me even though I broke track. I shot a video of that, and it may still be on our server.

Edited by Fubar512

Depends on the missile. An AIM-120 or, I believe, R-77 or R-37 has home on jam capability. So, if your using noise, your screwed. Not sure how deception works on the 120, I assume that is it locks on to what you project, your in the clear, if it homes on the source of the deception, ur in trouble. I imagine that ECM works a lot better with the early AIM-7, R-23/24/27R series. The jamming pods that are used for the most part were designed to defeat these missiles. Noise especially is well served at long range, against SARH missiles that require the attacking aircraft to get and maintain a lock from a fairly long range. Just my thoughts and experience in game.

Of course, but the problem is that the enemy radar may be more powerful than your jammer, therefore you can still get shot at, but as a whole yes, it does it's job, and allows you to get to places defended by SAMs. Matter of fact once I reconfigured my stick with more countermeasure focus, my survival rate of course went up. Problem is though, even if your jammer is very strong, there is what is called "burn through", i.e. the SAM radar overpowers your jammer, and then can still lock on you. Fact is there's a ton of online references that deal with it, since in some cases the tactics used in real life work in the game, to a degree.

So basically you get a hit or miss proposition when dealing with jamming, SAM capabilities, etc.

does the noise rejection somehow affect how the missile is resistant to ECM jamming?

Yup, along with "CM Rejection"

If I understand when we using both jammers (noise and deceptive) on one aircraft the effect is that the missiles with "home on jam" mode always attack us!?

It is not possible to enable only one jammer when we have both. I saw that most of modern aircraft has two types of jammers (I think about internal jammers not about the pod's)-maby it must be change: old aircraft with noise jammers and modern (since for example 1980 or 1990) with deceptive jammers ?

What do You think about it???

About the only near SAM proof aircraft i've ever flown in these sims is the EF-111 found in the ODS campaign.

Everything else? It depends. Early ECM pods work wonders in WOV but you will still have a chance on getting hit due to certain factors.

To relay only on jammers is deadly in reality. The Israelis learned it 1970 when they got combat proofen US Jammers for combat along the Suez Canal. The SA-3 Goa were able to penetrate the jammer. But if the planes were starting heavy maneuvres they were again able to evade the missiles.

On the other side the soviets tested 1973 anti Hawk jammers in Syria with the result that MiG-21 were able to operate over the Golan without suffering losses by Hawk missiles.

+praying usually helps sometimes too :smile:

• Like 1

so ecm+chaff+hard maneuvering is the best option in avoiding missiles?

That's pretty much it.

Edited by Lt. James Cater