Sign in to follow this  
mppd

Netherlands Terrain?

Is there any terrain available that shows the bases that RNeth AF F-104Gs flew from during the 60s-80S? I believe that RNeth AF Starfighters also stood nuclear alert also (with USAF advisors overseeing the storage/loading of the weps) - and in fact may still be doing so today in F-16s. Several bases are not visible in Google Earth I would guess for this reason.

Thanks,

Mike D.

• Dislike 1

Is there any terrain available that shows the bases that RNeth AF F-104Gs flew from during the 60s-80S? I believe that RNeth AF Starfighters also stood nuclear alert also (with USAF advisors overseeing the storage/loading of the weps) - and in fact may still be doing so today in F-16s. Several bases are not visible in Google Earth I would guess for this reason.

Thanks,

Mike D.

standart SF 2 Europe, Wings over Europe & gepards Deutschland Terrain???

Thanks,

Mike D.

Hello Mike,

Nuclear alert from Volkel still operational nowadays with F 16's.

Forget Google Earth, ridiculous deal with MoD. Bases visible with Bing Maps, including parked F16's, and at several routemap sites

Several WIP's but no terrains yet with Leeuwarden, Twenthe, Deelen, Soesterberg, Valkenburg, Ypenburg, Woensdrecht, Gilze Rijen, Volkel, Eindhoven and de Peel (and the same goes for our neighbours from Belgium.......)dntknw.gif

Hou doe,

Derk

That's exactly what I was looking for. A bit of a departure for me - but have several friends who served in the area in those days. Thanks for the reply,

MPD

• Dislike 1

If anyone has a work-in-progress and is looking for some help, I have had some small experience creating ground objects for the Third Wire series and would be interested.

Thanks again,

Mike

• Dislike 1

That's exactly what I was looking for. A bit of a departure for me - but have several friends who served in the area in those days. Thanks for the reply,

MPD

Try "F104 Volkel" in Youtube and your friends will have among other stuff some big nice movies about a jubilee of 312 Squadron (one of the nuclear strike units) in 1982 and some more nice shots over Germany, taking off, landing etc.

It's really going back to the good old days !!!good.gif

Have fun,

Derk

Thanks Derk,

I actually just downloaded a copy of that one the other day. I've really been looking at all of the F-104Gs for the Third Wire series the last few weeks, especially the Dutch birds.

• Dislike 1

I think the problem is that the Netherlands are partly below sea level. Some years ago i tried to build a terrain that covered Holland, but i got strange errors in game (high and sharp contoured hills instead flat lands.)

Sorry, I cannot help with the scenery creation itself, only the objects. I'd be happy with resonable airfield placement accuracy and above-sea level bases!

• Dislike 1

Guest ansons2

Sorry, I cannot help with the scenery creation itself, only the objects. I'd be happy with resonable airfield placement accuracy and above-sea level bases!

Hello mppd,

Did you try my Germany map ? it contains the Netherland country, more airfields & towns could be added easily.

I would like to have more windmills and houses.

regards

ansons2

Thanks Ansons, I have it now. Will check it out for Dutch fields.

• Dislike 1

only a small percentage of surface is below the sea level, and I think all airbases are above MSL

only a small percentage of surface is below the sea level, and I think all airbases are above MSL

Actually quite a lot is below sea level, including Schiphol and Zestienhoven airports, but except for the no longer existing base of Ypenburg near the Hague (0 to -3m) the altitude is Valkenburg 0, Eindhoven 22, Leeuwarden 1.2, Soesterberg 13-20, Volkel 22, Gilze 15, Twenthe 32, all according to High/Low vol 2 1997, and de Peel 26, Deelen 45 and Woensdrecht 14 according to Google Earth, all in meters.

I guess making a terrain of Holland in true altitudes (with a lowest point of about 7m below sea level)

is really extremely complicated and unnecessary because the height differences are relatively very small.

Putting the whole thing a few meters above sea level would be quite enough and some maps are in existence, including Ansons. One thing: the main runway headings are mainly N. East- S.West (and not North - South like Volkel in one of the terrains....) and in most airfields there is a lot of Luftwaffe WW II heritage. Some of Gepards bases would be great.

For that matter of altitude, I don't know how the Dead Sea area in Israel is simulated. Gonna have a try on that .....blink.gif

Hou doe,

Derk

Edited by Derk

Well, my only experience with scenery is trying to add additional small airfields to the existing SEA maps, which resulted in a big mess when the ground is not flat. I would help in any way that I can if someone is interested in adding the rest of the major Dutch and Belgian fields. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

Mike

• Dislike 1

Guest ansons2

Well, my only experience with scenery is trying to add additional small airfields to the existing SEA maps, which resulted in a big mess when the ground is not flat. I would help in any way that I can if someone is interested in adding the rest of the major Dutch and Belgian fields. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

Mike

Hello mppd,

FYI, To have flat areas for targets and/or airfields in a Map, there is a "level Airfield" feature in the Terrain editor. You have to load first the .hfd, The texturelist and the city list (For instance these files are available in my germany map folder). Then you can add airfields in the City list, (do not forget to check the "Has Airfield" Check box), set the width and length of the area, enter the coordinates and then save the city list. Now if you execute the "Level Airfield" the TE with flatten the areas defined per airfield in the City List. If you had hills there, the TE will sink and flatten the hills. As there is no rollback feature in the TE, do not forget to make first backups of the .hfd, .tfd files and double check the airfield coordinates to avoid creating a flat area in a middle of a mountain... Then you will have to add your Airfield data in the map_targets.ini file. Warning :In my Germany Map the germany_data.ini file is customized to be Oct08 patch compatible. When saving your changes in the TE, it will overwrite the germany_data.ini file. You will have to execute the small germany_rename_data_ini.bat file to recover the good germany_data.ini file (the .bat file will make a copy/rename of the germany_data_svg.ini file)

I hope this will help you.

Regards

ansons2

Thanks again for the reply and the help. I have never tried the terrain editor but would like to give it a shot some day.

• Dislike 1