Sign in to follow this  
OvS

Another amazing moment in OFF...

Keep in mind that I hardly ever get to actually play this game... so I sound like a newbie... sorry.. dntknw.gif

Last night I was testing the new Jasta 12 Fokker OAW skins, so I took up a campaign with them and off we went on a Balloon busting mission.

Lined up were my flight, Besser, Greven, Koch and Bock in the Ace flight with 2 other cronies. 10 total. We go... form up and circle.

I didn't use Warp as I wanted to confirm if I could see the markings of the Aces as I flew around with them... so I followed the designated flight path. 3 times around, in a circle, checking my wingmen gaining altitiude, following Greven.. etc.

We form up and off we go... to the target. I then used Warp... but we stopped about halfway there for Bogies. They were friendly, so I took the moment to catch up to the ace flight and form up. It took a little while, but we got there, and man, it was cool. All ten of us in a huge clump, flying along... Koch at my right, Bock to the high left... Greven leading the way.... to the target we go in mass. It felt as real as it could be!

Greven spotted the target, ordered Koch and Bock to go, they also spotted some Spad XIII's in the area and off they went. I flagged my boys to engage as well... wow a full 10 on 10 furball over the target!!! I break the mele for a moment as I was in front of the Balloon, I get off a few rounds and BOOOM!!! Up she goes! Nice, big explosion!!!

The fight continues, I can hear explosions all around and MG's clacking away!

The rest is the usual, dodging, banking, turning.... I bagged 2, but lost 2 of my squadies... we're spread all over the sky.

I forum up what's left and head home, runnig into the ace flight minus Bock, Besser and 1 wingman.

What an awesome game this is!!

OvS

PS... If you don't already... use a headset... it's 100% better, and easier on everyone else in the house!

Hey OvS, new guy buys the drinks :drinks: hehe. Thanks for that report but whatcha doin playing the game, sorry Olham, don't you have work to do? Really, thanks for all your sacrifices along with the rest of OBD.

Oh, really, OvS???!!!

What great news, that you have finally found some time to find this out!

But don't be too asthonished, when we all knew it already!

:cool:

Hope you got a taste of blood for more now (and the time!) - think you deserved it!

Now you know OvS. Now you know.

Man.. what the hell have I been missing!! heat.gif

What is often said to be a 'Busman's Holiday' :rofl:

What is often said to be a 'Busman's Holiday' rofl.gif

haha. hey ovs, it's nice to be able to view something you've been working on since god knows when, eh.

by the by, i'm really glad the team's going with P4.

haha. hey ovs, it's nice to be able to view something you've been working on since god knows when, eh.

by the by, i'm really glad the team's going with P4.

Most/all of us are with you Matt on that one. P4...P4...P4... Keeps coming up by those in the know so I look to brighter tomorrow.

everyone needs something to look forward to...and hopefully P4 is it!

Please, devs, give the man a Snipe, that he may stop! (And maybe realise what a bad pilot he is.) :grin:

I'm just looking forward to the next sortie - I haven't even tried out a third of BHaH,

but I'm determined to do so.

For example do I still have to meet Camels with my Fokker E.V Staffel !

LOL... now you know why we get twitchy waiting for patches and such....

LOL... now you know why we get twitchy waiting for patches and such....

LOL!... Sucks to be you guys!! lol.gif

OvS, I can only assume you must be a good husband and daddy, and I really mean it.

A responsible job, a household with wife and children, and then your work on OFF -

you cannot have much spare time for flying yourself.

Please show these lines to your wife:

Hello, Miss Romano

You may be thinking, James is already spending too much time on OFF, but that seems to be

rather the work on OFF, which is WORK (and hopefully brings the boys the deserved success

one day! Their product is simply PHANTASTIC!).

But to be up to date with his product and his customers, and more than that: for his own pleasure,

he should have some more time for just flying it like all other players - for fun.

So hug this good man of yours and let him have some time off for good behaviour, okay?

(Playing keeps us men alive and well, you know?)

Thanks for reading!

Olham

PS: OvS - that deserves a bunch of flowers for your missus, I'd say

Hehehe, I hear ya, bro drinks.gif. When I tell people I make games for a living, they think all I do is play them. WRONG! That's what my testers do. I just build stuff and make sure it works OK, which takes all my time. Then I wade through tester reports to see how it plays in the real game context. By the time I'm done with that, I'm totally burnt out on the subject so the last thing I want to do is play my game for fun, no matter how attractive the subject matter. Thus, I play your game and work on mine.

Hehehe, I hear ya, bro drinks.gif. When I tell people I make games for a living, they think all I do is play them. WRONG! That's what my testers do. I just build stuff and make sure it works OK, which takes all my time. Then I wade through tester reports to see how it plays in the real game context. By the time I'm done with that, I'm totally burnt out on the subject so the last thing I want to do is play my game for fun, no matter how attractive the subject matter. Thus, I play your game and work on mine.

LOL! I agree! So what are you working on?

@ Olham

Sure I'll pass that on... she'll get a kick out of for sure. I used to be in the doghouse with my work, but now I manage it so that it does not interfere with anything. For instance... on the Florida vacation I just took, we spent a week at my Mother-in-Law's house. She wanted to go clothes shopping (which is an ALL DAY AFFAIR!!!!) and I didn't... I offered to watch my daughter and my niece while my wife and her sister went out... so I worked on the OAW template all day... uninteruppted while the kids had a ball... a win win.

At night, I make sure all is done, all homework checked, help around the house and off I go to 'work'. So it's a little bit of effort to make sure she knows I help out, do my honey-do list.. and still have time for a kiss on the cheek and tickling my daughter till she pukes.

It all balances... it has to, otherwise I'd be in 'D'-court faster than lighting through a tree.

OvS

OvS: "It all balances... it has to, otherwise I'd be in 'D'-court faster than lighting through a tree."

Yeah! But believe me, OvS - that's fact for the most self-employed anyway.

Hope you'll find some more time to enjoy your great product, as much as I do - and to see

some screenies of it.

Like my little wife would say:

"keep my love tank full" so as long as its possible to keep the LOVE TANK full things are great at home.

M

Actually BH, it's quite interesting to play. The control of the individual ships, or squadron control, and attack orders, and the like. A good strategy game for Naval Surface fighting with old dreadnaughts and destroyers and everything inbetween.

Actually BH, it's quite interesting to play. The control of the individual ships, or squadron control, and attack orders, and the like. A good strategy game for Naval Surface fighting with old dreadnaughts and destroyers and everything inbetween.

Thanks for the endorsment. I do enjoy playing them, it's just that I usually don't want to after having spent all day toiling on some part of one of them. But if I didn't think they were good, I wouldn't make them.

I would like to clarify something, though. I wouldn't call our products "strategy games" because that usually implies managing the economy, building and upgrading units, etc. In our campaigns, you don't do any of that. You're Jellicoe or Scheer, Togo or any of the various Russian Admirals who opposed him. You take what your government gives you and do the best you can with it. I guess you could therefore call the big-picture stuff more operational than strategic in scope. The primary emphasis, however, is tactical, commanding your fleets in the battles that happen due to your decsioins at the operational level. In battles, you take on roles from overall admiral down to the captain of an individual toropedoboat, whatever you think is most appropriate at the moment.

But I don't want to be rude. This ain't my forum and I only mentioned this because OVS asked. If anybody would like to discuss my stuff, please do so in our forums at http://forums.gamesquad.com/forumdisplay.php?245-Distant-Guns!-Jutland or http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=237, or PM me. In here, let's try to keep things centered on OFF good.gif

.... In here, let's try to keep things centered on OFF good.gif

Nah... I don't see anything wrong with a little plublicity for a friend. We're all in this WWI thing together... land .. sea ... and air. good.gif

Looks like a real deep (pardon the pun) game! Nice work. Nothing better than a game that pulls you in mentally, and challeges you to really put forth some effort.

Great job Bullet. Thanks for posting it.

OvS

Naval warfare was never my type of game/simulator. But who knows... I'll take a look at the Jutland trial.

Thanks! :good:

(I still yet have to try it, as Bullethead is involved there, and I really want to check it some time.

But somehow, a day is always so short, that so far I never wanted to take time off from flying

our campaign. Maybe I have to die first..

But one day I will have an attempt with seabattles - although I get seasick very easily...

Hope it won't be too difficult to learn the Navy stuff. And that I won't have to grow a beard?)

Nah... I don't see anything wrong with a little plublicity for a friend. We're all in this WWI thing together... land .. sea ... and air. good.gif

Thanks!

As it happens, the only reason I and several other are here at all is because somebody posted about OFF in the Jutland forum when BHaH was released. Until then, I'd never heard of it at all, and had no idea you all had been working on it for years before I got to this forum. So yeah, one of the biggest problems us indies have is getting the word out. Thanks for letting me say a few words about my stuff. Still, I'll try hard not to overstep my bounds on it grin.gif.

Naval warfare was never my type of game/simulator. But who knows... I'll take a look at the Jutland trial.

I hope you enjoy it and no offense if you don't. We're fully aware that our stuff doesn't appeal to everybody.

It seems to me that there are 2 main types of tactical wargamers, based on their personal tastes. I call these types commanders and killers. Commanders enjoy maneuvering many units around and mastering the skills to win fairly large battles that way (in terms of the number of units, whatever their scale is). Many of them seem to have grown up playing with miniatures and board games. Most of them are only interested in land warfare but some like naval games. On the computer, they prefer things like Combat Mission and fleet battle sims like mine or the Age of Sail games. Killers, OTOH, like to control just their own unit with maybe some influence over a small number of helpers, and want to win a series of individual contests. Such folks are drawn to flight sims and land shooters. If they get into naval games at all, it's usually something similarly focused on their own unit, such as a submarine sim like Silent Hunter. Killers seem to be the majority of the gamer population.

Commanders and killers aren't exclusive groups; many folks do some of each. Like me, for instance. But it seems to me that there are more commanders dabbling at killing than there are killers dabbling at commanding.

I won't have to grow a beard?

Well, Tirpitz had a most admirable beard, but most other German admirals were satisfied with a moustache or goatee, or nothing at all grin.gif.