Sign in to follow this  
thewoo1

ATI or Nvidea

guys if your were buying a new vid card and you only really cared about OFF what platform do you think OFF works best with ATI or Geforce

That's a damn good question. I've owned both in the past and each has pros and cons with certain titles, but to think you'll only ever sim in OFF...? That's dedication man!

ATI Radeon slipped for a while but I think the last year and a bit they have really come back. I still enjoy my now obsolete 4870 and its performance (though I'd recommend aftermarket cooling, about $20 to 30) and glad I didn't pay full price when it first came out, now I see the latest line with even lower prices... What's the world coming to!

Unless things have changed with the latest ATI's (?), Nvidia allows reflective glass for the cockpit gauges and land/skyscape images in the rearview mirrors (on kites that have 'em). For atmosphere rather than practicality. But still cool.

I too have been an owner of both. The ATI cards are putting out some good power for the cost. So as uncleal and Bandy said, it really depends on what you plan on doing and what your needs are. The reason for my last purchase of Nvidia was the power of the card, as ATI was still about a year from having a powerful card, but also, my older ATI cards required more fiddling with drivers and settings for different games, where the Nvidia cards have been rather stable, and require no individual setups for different games unless I wish to tweak something specific for a game because it will benefit from it.

Honestly though, if money is an issue, go for the ATI cards, as you will get more horsepower for your money as things go these days.

Guest Eject

Hi guys. Kindly go to ZDNet for reviews of said Graphic cards. U won't miss it. BTW, there a number of ZDNet Sites, e.g., in Australia, Asia, and definitely in the great land of America.

Re ATI card, Wrench can tell u a lot I believe. I shall no more buy laptops/notebooks with even the latest ATI. NVidea is a lot more better for me. For me, may I repeat.

It's completely your own choice and decision. U r the one who will write the check or use the credit card to get the best card in the market.

Have a nice day.

Edited by FastCargo

Hello,

not only for OFF would now take an NVidia one. The 280 ones and certainly the 295 with at least 1 Gb ram are very good, but then the new ATI cards like the 5900 will probably beat them - remains to be seen, but all those cards are still very expensive.

Sometimes it makes sense to look for the companies MGI, Sparkle, Zotac or other varieties of those cards, which have the same internal chip and architecture, but are a bit cheaper than original Nvidia ones.

Greetings,

Catfish

Running an ATI 4870 with 1 GB - working fine.

Updating is always useful, and you can change the settings individually in the ATI Catalyst manager.

Sapphire HD4890 VaporX here, its running great on OFF3. But keep in your mind if you want to play a DirectX11 game in the future then you will need a HD5XXX or a future GTX3XX card (and Vista/Win7 OS).

Hey Guys,

I am in the process of building a new system and have been doing extensive research and cost comparisons. I have always been an Nvidia user, so what I found out really surprised me. The HD 5850 for $300-$350 is a the best card for my money, when I compared speed (MHz) and # of video processing threads. I used sites like Toms Hardware, Cnet, and PC World to gather the head-to-head data. Since I have never owned or installed an ATI card for anyone, this will be a learning experience...for sure. Do your homework and best of luck.

If your in for the long haul with this card...get dx11,

I have ati, but if i had money to burn, id probably have gone nvidia