With wrench's WWII maps (especially WWII Europe), and Wolf257's WWII plane pack,I just suddenly came up with a rather crazy idea on a WWII scenario.

I'm going to create an air war campaign with the WWII terrain with a surprising addition of F-15s and EF-2000 Typhoons and other kinds of generation 4+ fighters.

I just thought of this idea after seeing the one scene in the movie The Final Countdown where 2 F-14s dogfight with 2 Japanese A6M2 Zeros (although they are modified AT-6's) . After watching that one scene, I wonder if its possible to do this on the European front.

Any opinions and criticisms are allowed as I'm just trying to experiment this whether or not it is feasible.

Well...that would really suck if you're flying the zero...

I would presume Sidewinders wouldn't work?

Not exactly. the AIM-9L at the time when the movie was first shot (1980), the sensor was sensitive enough to track the heat of the aircraft generated through air friction.

And since the aircraft i'm planning to use are generation 4-5 fighters, they would use the AIM-9M\X, and ASRAAM, which in turn makes it even easier for the missile to lock on.

with that in mind, i'm gonna experiment this with the battle of Britain campaign that we already have. its a good start before I try to do this on the WWII Europe map.

Not exactly. the AIM-9L at the time when the movie was first shot (1980), the sensor was sensitive enough to track the heat of the aircraft generated through air friction.

And since the aircraft i'm planning to use are generation 4-5 fighters, they would use the AIM-9M\X, and ASRAAM, which in turn makes it even easier for the missile to lock on.

with that in mind, i'm gonna experiment this with the battle of Britain campaign that we already have. its a good start before I try to do this on the WWII Europe map.

In that case you'd have to set the campaign time to the 90's or 00's for the game to recognize those weapons, although flying gen 4 fighters with guns only could be interesting...

Not really. I just use Pasko's WWII weapon pack and put in the missiles from the 2.52 weapon packs. I use the AIM-54C weapon model from the SFP1 weapon patch, so it takes a while to get it ready.

Aside from the missiles for the sake of difficulty (never try to enter a turning fight against and Fw-190 with an F-15) using the bombs from the era makes perfect sense.

The idea behind this is that you passed through a storm somewhere in the future (1992-2010 range) and end up in 1940 Europe when Germany was at the height of its power. If I can somehow get all the stuff for the Battle of Britain campaign (groundobjects, aircraft, etc.), I'll add either an EF-2000 or a Tornado F.3.

As for the weapons in the time scale, I just edit the start and end years as 0 so I can use them in any time frame.

The missile I use for all aircraft (regardless of aircraft type) are the AIM-9M, AIM-7M, and AIM-120A. they are enough to handle any plane in the era for obvious reasons :lol:.

Here is how a gen.4 fighter do battle:

Splash the Zeros.

Edited by Vambrace

That's a fantastic video, would be interesting to see how some of the famous Pacific battles would look with 4 gen fighters, F-14D's and Superbugs attacking the Japanese fleet off Midway. Great idea! Looking forward to see how it pans out.

The image of tanks versus cavalry (or even better, medieval knights) comes to my mind.

Then again the SF engine and the AI wingmen are known for their blackouts, so don't be surprised if F-15s get shot down by some 109s... :tongue:

@meathead:

Either I can work on the battle of midway, or I can even work on operation downfall either flying as a US navy F-14 or F/A-18E, US marine F/A-18A, or even fight in the JASDF side in an F-15CJ or F-2A.

@Godad:

aside from tanks vs cavalry, ever thought of the idea of an M1 Abrams taking on a German Tiger tank? would be epic considering the Abrams is heavier than the Tiger yet can travel twice as fast.

As for the AI, giving them A2A missiles compensate a bit for their blackout frequencies. To be honest, it takes a lot of practice and guts to engage WWII planes even with an F-22.

But for the sake of maintaining WWII fun, i'll keep the planes from the future a player only squadron.

Anyone want to come up with a back-story idea on how these planes somehow go back in time aside from how it is done from the movie.

I currently have quite a bit of homework and stuff to deal with. so until I am done, I won't on this project but any idea and opinions are appreciated.

Edited by Vambrace

@Gocad:

aside from tanks vs cavalry, ever thought of the idea of an M1 Abrams taking on a German Tiger tank? would be epic considering the Abrams is heavier than the Tiger yet can travel twice as fast.

That's progress for you. :wink:

Anyone want to come up with a back-story idea on how these planes somehow go back in time aside from how it is done from the movie.

Someone already did!

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/john-birmingham/weapons-of-choice.htm

Weaponsofchoice.jpg

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/john-birmingham/designated-targets.htm

Designatedtargets.jpg

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/john-birmingham/final-impact.htm

FinalImpact.jpg

Those are some good ideas. I'll start working on a prototype of the campaign with the WWII Europe campaign.

I'll probably start out by making a battle of Britain style campaign.

But I'm a bit curious on one thing though. Should I allow future planes to appear as the AI squadron or should I make it player only?