TextureStage[01].MipMap=TRUE -----CHANGE THIS LINE TO TRUE

TextureStage[01].FilterEnabled=TRUE

TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE

Fade=NORMAL

StartFadeDistance=50.0

EndFadeDistance=50.0

Edited by pauld895

I just noticed in FE2 the water with these addon terrains doesn't do anything. No shader, no waves, no effects, simple a blue texture.

Is there a setting we might change?

I had trouble with flickering trees so I changed thie entry in Vogesen_data

and now everything is perfect

[AlphaObjectTextureMaterial]

TextureStage[01].MipMap=TRUE -----CHANGE THIS LINE TO TRUE

Dunno how the hell you worked that out, man, but that is one brilliant fix! :good:

Cheers for that.

Bucky

Dunno how the hell you worked that out, man, but that is one brilliant fix! :good:

Cheers for that.

Bucky

Just trial and error and a bit of luck

Unfortunately I am one of those people who would rather not play if it's not right

and I soo wanted this to be right

Great job Jan on the original, and Pauld895 for fixing the tree shimmer!

This mod to the terrainDATA.INI is the kind of thing that will unfortunately get buried in a few days, and what a shame it will be for others coming behind us.

I would say Pauld895 should add this simple adjustment to the "tweaks sticky thread", and/or it should be added to the original download for everyone's enjoyment.

Edited by Venator

This mod to the terrainDATA.INI is the kind of thing that will unfortunately get buried in a few days, and what a shame it will be for others coming behind us.

I would say Pauld895 should add this simple adjustment to the "tweaks sticky thread", and/or it should be added to the original download for everyone's enjoyment.

Good idea!

I prepare patch with all improvements and corrections. Unfortunately I shan't FE2, so it's going to be tested only in FEG.

Shall I prepared also patch for Vogesen terrain burnishing height map (already no one drowned subjects in terrain).

Jan bye.gif

Thats why the sticky was created. Since its creation I encouraged everyone to utilize that sticky for the very reason you state. Its there for everyone and anyone. Your ideas don't have to be some sort of ground shaking discovery that transforms the game. Its often the little things that make a difference. Why not use the sticky so everyone, especially the new folks, can more easily find your mods and try them without having to wade through pages of posts? You still have the ability to edit or delete anything you add to the sticky. Lastly, I'm not b*tching at the new guys. This has been an ongoing "problem" for a long time. :salute:

Stary has also provided some code tweaks over at 3rdwire forum. It also helps with building shimmer and trees fading into the distance. Should be worth a look...

Like the earlier poster, I also noticed that water is not animated anymore. Anyone have an idea of where to look for this yet?

Edited by Venator

Shall I prepared also patch for Vogesen terrain burnishing height map (already no one drowned subjects in terrain)

Finally. That's been bugging me since it's been releasedgood.gif

OK, implemented Stary's tweaks and the trees look awesome, they fade a little bit more into the distance, and most of the buildings don't shimmer in Vogesen.

Some of the unique castles and walled cities still do, so maybe they are z-buffer issues elsewhere.

Will keep looking.

BUT THEN the water looked absolutely terrible, so futzed about with old ini's and got the water moving and looking better. Not perfect, but better.

Works good in Vogesen thus far, don't know yet about the others, but should be fine AFAIK.

If interested try this in each terrainDATA.INI (includes Stary's tweaks for convenience) apologies for my code comments, I suppose everybody has their own style.

The code line following //Stock is the baseline, which is also commented out // followed by the effective change and whitespace to easily find each of them.

[WaterTextureMaterial]

UseEffectShader=TRUE

EffectShaderName=WaterEffect2.fx

DepthBufferCheck=TRUE

DepthBufferWrite=FALSE

RenderedInOrder=TRUE

AlphaTestEnabled=TRUE

//STOCK

//CullMode=NO_CULL

CullMode=CLOCKWISE

LightEnabled=TRUE

SpecularEnabled=TRUE

EmissiveEnabled=FALSE

FogEnabled=TRUE

AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

SpecularColor=1.000000,1.000000,0.900000,1.000000

SpecularPower=1.000000

//STOCK

//ZBufferOffset=4.000000

ZBufferOffset=6.000000

BlendOp=BLEND_SRC_ALPHA

NumTextureStages=2

TextureStage[01].TextureName=

TextureStage[01].MipMap=FALSE

//TRUE

//STOCK

//TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=DIFFUSE

//STOCK

//TextureStage[02].TextureName=

TextureStage[02].TextureName=ref_color.bmp

TextureStage[02].MipMap=FALSE

//TRUE

TextureStage[02].FilterEnabled=TRUE

//STOCK below --other INI's have no ReflectionMapping

//TextureStage[02].ReflectionMapping=TRUE

//STOCK

//TextureStage[02].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_BLEND_TEXTURE_ALPHA

TextureStage[02].StageColorOp=TEXTURE

TextureStage[02].StageAlphaOp=DIFFUSE

[solidObjectTextureMaterial]

DepthBufferCheck=TRUE

DepthBufferWrite=TRUE

RenderedInOrder=TRUE

AlphaTestEnabled=TRUE

CullMode=NO_CULL

LightEnabled=TRUE

SpecularEnabled=FALSE

EmissiveEnabled=FALSE

FogEnabled=TRUE

AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

ZBufferOffset=0.000000

//STOCK

//BlendOp=BLEND_DST_ALPHA

BlendOp=BLEND_SRC_ALPHA

NumTextureStages=1

TextureStage[01].MipMap=TRUE

[AlphaObjectTextureMaterial]

DepthBufferCheck=TRUE

DepthBufferWrite=FALSE

RenderedInOrder=false

AlphaTestEnabled=TRUE

CullMode=NO_CULL

LightEnabled=TRUE

SpecularEnabled=FALSE

EmissiveEnabled=FALSE

FogEnabled=TRUE

AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.00000

DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.00000

ZBufferOffset=2.000000

// STOCK

BlendOp=BLEND_SRC_ALPHA

NumTextureStages=1

TextureStage[01].MipMap=TRUE

//FALSE

//STOCK

//TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE

//STARY's Suggestion follows...

TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE_BLEND_TEXTURE_ALPHA

Fade=NORMAL

StartFadeDistance=50.0

EndFadeDistance=50.0

Edited by Bandy

Shall I prepared also patch for Vogesen terrain burnishing height map (already no one drowned subjects in terrain)

Finally. That's been bugging me since it's been releasedgood.gif

Since quack opened the "bugging me" flood gates... :yes:

If it didn't involve the Terrain Editor I'd also give a go at spinning some of the Vogesen airfields so that the tents and hangars were on the dirt part of the field.

Also, there are at least 3 or 4 trench border tiles in Flanders that need to be rotated, and at least two in Cambrai.

These are really old and in the grand scheme of issues minor, but what the h_ll, complaining is cathartic. :bye:

Since quack opened the "bugging me" flood gates... :yes:

If it didn't involve the Terrain Editor I'd also give a go at spinning some of the Vogesen airfields so that the tents and hangars were on the dirt part of the field.

Also, there are at least 3 or 4 trench border tiles in Flanders that need to be rotated, and at least two in Cambrai.

These are really old and in the grand scheme of issues minor, but what the h_ll, complaining is cathartic. :bye:

Ahem....Look in the .ini tweaks and changes topic...post #17. :grin:

Ahem....Look in the .ini tweaks and changes topic...post #17. :grin:

Tailspin, are you shamelessly promoting your own tweaks? :grin:

Thanks brother, I missed that, and the post is dated 2008! My bad. Think of all those single Vogesen missions I could have enjoyed that much more... It is tragic.

ANYWAYS, can I get any confirmation that the water looks better for others?

I did notice that the water tweak does produce a performance hit, dropping my lowly FEG from 50 to 60 fps on the grass to 35 to 40 on the grass (all settings maxed out), but at altitude most fps were recovered. I have not isolated the water variable(s) producing the fps hit since my system, fortunately, can take it.

LOL. No problem B. I was reading through the threads and came across yours and I thought hmmmmm.....It had been so long I wasn't sure. I had to find the post myself.

I don't post often but I'm bumping this thread because Jan's work is so good

Thanks so much for these terrain sets - they are quite superb and amazingly without any FPS loss.

If anybody reading this has not downloaded and installed these mods I'd recommend you do so now

Hello, all:

I´d really like this mod to work with my system but for some reason it´s not. I did a clean installation plus the expansion and the latest patches, then followed Jan Tuma´s instructions, but the terrain does not show up in the game. 

Also there is no Thirdwire or FirstEagles 2 folder into my documents profile, I tried doing it by hand and putting the mod there but it does not work either. My OS is windows 7 64 bit.

I should also point out that I am no stranger to installing mods, in the past I have had this game heavily modded with custom aircraft and terrain (only for Verdun and Cambrai, since I haven´t tried the Volgensen terrain yet) by means of a program called JSGME, where you place all mods inside a folder called MODS in the games´root folder and if necessary recreate the games´folder structure inside each mod, and then the program installs the mod, in this way you don´t have to overwrite any original game files at all. This I have also tried, but for some reason it is not working either.

Please help, I was really looking forward for this terrain mod but now it will not install and it´s really frustrating.

Heck, he doesn't really have to create a separate MODS directory inside "My saved games/Thirdwire/FirstEagles2." That IS the mod directory.

Reaper, to give you a basic idea how modding works and what Heck has just explained to you: In earlier days (Series 1 Games) you would just go to the game directory and drop the stuff in the correct sub folder, overwriting default files. That's how you would do it with First Eagles Gold. But since Vista didn't like modified files in install directories (it is very protective about program files), TK made it so that all default game files are in compressed .CAT archives, and modified files go in "My Saved Games" subdirectory for Thirdwire, using the same folder name as the CAT file.

So basically, when you start the game, it looks first into the "My Saved Games" directory if it can find any modified files there,  and if it finds any, it ignores the corresponding files from the CAT archieve. That's why it's important to name the Folder "Terrains" since the default cat in FE2 is named TerrainS.

I'm still awed by the way this update revitalizes the game. I tried a few alternate terrain mods for FE Gold, but the changes here (especially the amount of objects) truly make this a "Second Gen" terrain.

Somebody (I think it was Peter01, search on his posts for the last week or so) posted something about increasing Max vertex counts and some other variables in one of the ini's.

Edit: Ah, I printed it off for future ref:

Flightengine.ini

[GraphicsSettings]

Maxmodeltype=6144

Maxmeshperscene=12288

Maxmodelperscene=12288

give it a try.

Edited by Bandy

Hi Jan, thank you for the fantastic terrain sets...has truly changed my flying experience...but was wondering if there is a way by which I can hide (or remove) the 2D people in the cities. Thanks

Hi Jan, thank you for the fantastic terrain sets...has truly changed my flying experience...but was wondering if there is a way by which I can hide (or remove) the 2D people in the cities. Thanks

Yes!

Remove people in Mesto2.TGA file for all season:

Example:

http://eaw.wz.cz/Mesto2.tga

Jan bye.gif

Edited by Jan Tuma

Hi Jan,

Thank you for all your hard work it has transformed my WW1 flying experience and prompted me to download the FE expansion pack too!

For some reason I cant get Vogesen to work and it causes a CTD each time. I only had the original Cambrai and Flanders terrain installed until I installed your mods. Do I have to downlaod anything additional prior to installing the mod to get Vogesen to work??

I'm rather new to this, so sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Regards

SullyUk

Hi Jan,

Thank you for all your hard work it has transformed my WW1 flying experience and prompted me to download the FE expansion pack too!

For some reason I cant get Vogesen to work and it causes a CTD each time. I only had the original Cambrai and Flanders terrain installed until I installed your mods. Do I have to downlaod anything additional prior to installing the mod to get Vogesen to work??

I'm rather new to this, so sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Regards

SullyUk

From the sounds of your post, I'm not certain you had the Vogesen terrain installed before you installed Jan Tuma's terrain. You need to have that installed first, before you install Jan's over the top of it. If I'm wrong, I apologize for butting in.

From the sounds of your post, I'm not certain you had the Vogesen terrain installed before you installed Jan Tuma's terrain. You need to have that installed first, before you install Jan's over the top of it. If I'm wrong, I apologize for butting in.

Hi Heck,

I guess thats what it must be, where do I download the necessary terrain?

regards

SullyUk