Sign in to follow this  
Laton

FE2 - Adding crash debris to 3rd Party aircraft

Hi guys,

Taking a look at the new _data.ini files in FE2 the callouts for the new crashed aircraft models are now there.

If you want debris for 3rd party aircraft all you need to do is add two lines to the individual aircraft _data.ini file

E.g for my SVA.5 the SVA5_DATA.INI file currently has a section that looks like this

[AircraftData]

EmptyMass=655

EmptyInertia=738.0,582.2,1213.5

ReferenceArea=21.6

ReferenceSpan=9.10

ReferenceChord=1.48

CGPosition=0.00,0.00,0.00

OnGroundPitchAngle=15.5

DefaultArmorType=WOOD

DefaultArmorThickness=26

Component[001]=Fuselage

Component[002]=TopWingLeft

Component[003]=TopWingRight

If you add a few lines:

[AircraftData]

DestroyedModel=AlbatrosD3_destroyed.LOD <------------------ add this

DestroyedEffect=VehicleFireEffect <------------------and this

EmptyMass=655

EmptyInertia=738.0,582.2,1213.5

ReferenceArea=21.6

ReferenceSpan=9.10

ReferenceChord=1.48

CGPosition=0.00,0.00,0.00

OnGroundPitchAngle=15.5

DefaultArmorType=WOOD

DefaultArmorThickness=26

Component[001]=Fuselage

Component[002]=TopWingLeft

Component[003]=TopWingRight

You'll get the destroyed & burning aircraft whenever one crashes.

Other choices are:

DestroyedModel=RE8_destroyed.LOD

DestroyedEffect=VehicleFireEffect

DestroyedModel=AlbatrosD3_destroyed.LOD

DestroyedModel=DFW-CV_destroyed.LOD

DestroyedModel=FokkerD7_destroyed.LOD

DestroyedModel=Salmson2_destroyed.LOD

DestroyedModel=SPAD_XIII_destroyed.LOD

DestroyedModel=AEG_GIV_destroyed.LOD

DestroyedModel=Camel_destroyed.LOD

DestroyedModel=FokkerDR1_destroyed.LOD

Just pick which model you like and add it in. There is some doubling up, for instance the Strutter uses the RE8 destroyed LOD.

If an effect you like better for crashed aircraft comes along later you can also change the effect name to reflect that.

ETA: If you want a different crash effect try unzipping the attached file into your effects folder. You'll also need to change the DestroyedEffect=VehicleFireEffect line

to read DestroyedEffect=AircraftCrashEffect

You should get this:

crash.jpg

Also if you change

DestroyedEffect=VehicleFireEffect to read

DestroyedEffect=

you should just get a wreck with no fire or smoke so you can have a mix of burning/non-buring crash sites.

Cheers

CrashEffects.zip

Edited by Laton

Is it possible to texture a crashed LOD? So that it looked like half-charred frame, probably with a pilot somewhere there...

Is it possible to add the Crashed Aircraft.LOD to FEG? If not could one be made?

I'm fairly sure FEG simple has no code in place to "spawn" a crashed LOD at the point of impact. Certainly you can import/create LOD files and textures, but you will not get them to show up.

IMHO, I'm not a modder, at least. Does FEG produce a "crater" for impacted aircraft? Maybe you can hook the appearing of crashed_lod to that.

Still don't have FE2, yet, am still on the fence. The only screen shot of the crashed LOD that I've seen posted so far was not all that impressive, kinda looked like a steaming turd. :grin:

Can somebody please post a better image? I trust they can be refined to look more like, well, wreckage.

Laton, I think your FX mods are great, thank you for your efforts. But can you make the smoke off the wreckage somewhere in between your mod (which is a bit too chimney-like) and the stock (which is too dispersed)? What variables are involved?

Edited by Bandy

kinda looked like a steaming turd. :grin:

It is. :grin: Only when you see a whole field of these turds under the area of your dogfight the picture gets pretty.

Gr. Viper: I'm not sure about new textures, so far I haven't found the texture files for the crash LOD's. TK may be able to tell you. It should mean that we can make our own better crash models though.

Quack: I don't think so. Its something people have been asking TK for for some time.

Bandy: I'll have a look if I have time, my wife & I are expecting our 2nd baby any day now :grin: so I'm killing a bit of time at the moment.

If you or anyone else wants to have a play with the AircraftCrashSmokeEmitter.ini

EmissionRate=0.050000

EmissionVolume=1.000000,1.00000,0.00000

RadialVelocity=500.0

RadialVelocityDeviation=1.50000

ParticleSizeTableType=TABLE

ParticleSize[01].Time=0.000000

ParticleSize[01].Value=1.50000

ParticleSize[02].Time=0.3500000

ParticleSize[02].Value=3.000000

ParticleSize[03].Time=1.0000000

ParticleSize[03].Value=5.000000

ParticleSize[04].Time=3.0000000

ParticleSize[04].Value=7.000000

Are the lines to mess around with

Edited by Laton

Is it possible to texture a crashed LOD? So that it looked like half-charred frame, probably with a pilot somewhere there...

Having opened up each destroyed aircraft lod, you only have one file to work with for all of them. It's called DESTROYED_AIRCRAFT_CRATER.TGA. All the destroyed aircraft use this same .tga It looks like a crater, so I don't know how you'd paint it. It's the only texture specified in all the lods, so you can't do specific ones for each aircraft, and it's simply a darkened crater splotch.

The default destroyed lods do have textures with them and you should be able to texture one how ever you like. I can't remember the bitmap file name, but has something to do with destroyed.bmp or something like that. The .tga file is for the base with looks kinda like a crater. There are two parts for FE2 - the 'crater' and the 'carcass' meshes and each has it's separate texture. The crater gets the .tga and the carcass gets the .bmp.