Sign in to follow this  
Dave

ROF So Far

I'm liking it. Graphics are nice, its hard as hell to get a kill. I also managed not to cock my machine guns and chased a Camel around for a whole 2 mins trying to fire my guns. Yeah I would of lasted 3 mins in WWI.

2010_2_22__1_2_11.jpg

2010_2_22__1_20_19.jpg

2010_2_22__1_23_3.jpg

2010_2_22__1_23_7.jpg

Frankly, it's a sin of most sims that we can get multiple kills EVERY mission we fly. The problem is usually the AI won't allow for more realistic "1 guy got damaged then everyone went home" scenarios...they come at you with death in their eyes and it's you or them.

Frankly, it's a sin of most sims that we can get multiple kills EVERY mission we fly. The problem is usually the AI won't allow for more realistic "1 guy got damaged then everyone went home" scenarios...they come at you with death in their eyes and it's you or them.

So true. That's really unrealistic. OFF is getting better in that aspect in campaign mode.

But one of the things that I really like in RoF is the wind buffeting effect. It seems quite well implemented. It gives you the feeling of riding a wild horse and also the idea of fragility. Part of the difficulty of get a kill is due to that effect. It's just a matter of getting used to it.

Edited by Von Paulus

I've just got it...I am now on hour no4 of the 1.55GB Patch!!...It had better get better than this!!

I've just got it...I am now on hour no4 of the 1.55GB Patch!!...It had better get better than this!!

And in the end of the week expect another patch. Probably big. :grin:

The patches are both addressing issues though and adding features. It will be worth it UK. I'm really really liking it. And if Im liking it this much, then I get wait to get OFF with the HITR addon.

Finally got it...first impression?..well, only had a quick go... although nice to fly..it just looks (so far) Like IL2 1946 with Biplanes!...but early days yet

Considering they started out with Il-2's engine before switching halfway thru to a new engine, I'm not surprised it gives that impression. However, an engine is just the foundation on which to start. A great team can take a so-so engine to great heights while a poor one can take a great engine and make it flounder.

A great team can take a so-so engine to great heights

Like OFF for example :drinks:

Nice screenies...man, I love that Dr1. She's gorgeous! And I'd love to fly her, especially in RoF. But *sigh* no more new planes for me, pending something getting done with the other issues.

Anyway, not to hijack, USAFMTL...please do go on. I'm greatly looking forward to hearing what you think as you get beyond the (genuinely captivating) graphics. Performance, game play, UI, continuity, immersion, ease/flexibilty of configuration, FM, DM, SP, MP, effects, scenery...all the stuff that it really takes to make a truly great flight sim.

RoF was represented as all that, pre-release. I'm always interested in seeing how it fares in reality, in anything even close to objective analysis.

Regards.

I am lookign forward to what the patch this Friday brings. One portion of a review that I can't expertly comment on is FM. I have stick time in various aircraft and I highly doubt a Cessna 172 flies like a Sopwith Camel. Also I don't do MP in flight sims. So that is one portion I will skip.

I wonder why they included the (possibly) two best German Fighters...and then the pi$$ poor Spad and Noop for the allies?

No British aircraft at all! (unless you buy them of course)...ah yes...that's the rub.

Pretty dire though, when you consider the amount of aircraft you get with OFF / FSWW1 /FE etc etc

(that said, I'm quite enjoying it)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Pi$$ poor Spad? It's the most effective aircraft in the game :-) Awesome kite when handled with love...

SPAD is a boom & zoom fighter. Slash - extend - slowly turn around - come back - repeat. And watch that engine.

The thing with current RoF plane list is that most planes are "ultimate" or close. Best dive, best climb, best speed, best turns... D.VIIF might throw in the best high-altitude dogfighter. It's nice but in long term it means that the planes released after the "best of" batch will be worse in handling and performance. :blink: Unless it's SPAD XII which I would buy immediately.

Pi$$ poor Spad? It's the most effective aircraft in the game :-) Awesome kite when handled with love...

Crap visability though...Gonna have to buy a Camel I guess :drinks::salute:

I bought the Camel and the Neuport, both very nice. I have to agree on the Spad, crap visibility. I like the Camel's little window the in the upper wing. It came in handy. But so far I have to hand it to the DR.1, man what a great fighter to fly. I am not sold on the buy add on planes thing. I can understand if it came with a large group of planes to begin with, but with so little to get out of the box, I thinks its a bad idea. As I said though I did buy a could because they are cheap.

Is the demo of RoF worth the try, or a waste of time? Some demos are so hamstrung that they are actually bad advertising.

Looking at the latest dev news, the online connection req'm is going to disappear for SP mode. I figured I was going to regret passing on the $20 sale, though I expect more sales to come I suppose. Meanwhile there are all the other WWI offerings!

one plane...72 hours (and free flight only I believe?)

Oh, it was $20? I missed seeing it (since gogamer is blocked at work) and never saw the price. I probably would've picked it up for that. Oh well, I'm sure it will either be on a similar sale again or they'll have a limited time deal with free planes with purchase or something like that in the future. I'm hardly hurting for sims, my FE2 install has been mostly lonely. :grin:

Its been really fun so far. It was money well spent. I just need a few days uninterrupted with it though.

Its been really fun so far. It was money well spent. I just need a few days uninterrupted with it though.

Please let us know after the weekend.

I just got this as well. Got it installed today and have gotten to training mission 5. It seems to run pretty well for me on mid to upper settings. I have a feeling I'll be stuck on mission 5 for awhile as hitting a tank with a bomb is proving tough as beans. Getting a little better with landings but not much. :grin:

I had a moment of "this is nuts!" on the training mission where you have to dive at just under max speed as the wind rushed by and the ground grew bigger and bigger.

I just got this as well. Got it installed today and have gotten to training mission 5. It seems to run pretty well for me on mid to upper settings. I have a feeling I'll be stuck on mission 5 for awhile as hitting a tank with a bomb is proving tough as beans. Getting a little better with landings but not much. grin.gif

I had a moment of "this is nuts!" on the training mission where you have to dive at just under max speed as the wind rushed by and the ground grew bigger and bigger.

Coot

I did that mission yesterday and hit the tank the first time but it was a fluke. I was on my run when one of my twins tapped me on my shoulder and I jumped, which in turn caused me to pickle the bomb sooner than I was going to. Well that ended up hitting the tank. yikes.gifgrin.gifrofl.gif

Wow DaveJS good one! That was a lucky turn of events. I also like the way the training missions are done. It reminds me of the good ol' days of sims.