Sign in to follow this  
PadFoot

Need help on Midway Campaign

I am a newbie to Thirdwire games. Played F4 for years, want a change. Strike Fighter is really a blast graphics-wise. I saw the Midway Campaign somewhere on this site. Don't have Combat Flight Simulation 2, expensive still so did not buy it. Guess the Midway mod here should turn me on.

Now I have Strike Fighter Project 1 vanilla version. Which patch should I apply to the fresh installation before I proceed to install the Midway mod?

Thanks a million for your help...

WoE, at the 06 patch level ONLY. Anything higher (ie: the 08 level) will bork your flight models.

I've never tested it with SFP1, but it should work; however some editing of the terrain's main ini may be necessary to adjust the terrain cat pointer line.

edit: explination and useage of cat pointer line:

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/50389-selecting-the-proper-terrain-cat/

wrench

kevin stein

(the head prop head)

Edited by Wrench

Thanks Wrench for your swift reply!

Actually I've bought the entire series, SFP1, WoV, WoE and WoI. I just don't have Strike Fighter 2.

So where I might find the patch which takes my installation to 06 level? A pointer will be highly appreciated!

I was trying to patch the vanilla version to patch 3.2 but it bailed out with an error message saying:

"The file C:\PROGRA~1\STRATE~1\STRIKE~1\FlightSim.exe is not a valid previous version and could not be upgraded"

Now what's wrong?

when you start the game, on the main menu, down in the lower left corner (methinks!), there is a date ... what is it?

be in a format like 08.12.08 or digits to that effect

wrench

kevin stein

when you start the game, on the main menu, down in the lower left corner (methinks!), there is a date ... what is it?

be in a format like 08.12.08 or digits to that effect

wrench

kevin stein

Wench

No numbers there...at all...

ok, then, what's the date of the SF executable?? When did you buy the game?

see screenie below for correct positon; it's in the place in EVERY iteration of the series, including SF2

wrench

kevin stein

ok, then, what's the date of the SF executable?? When did you buy the game?

see screenie below for correct positon; it's in the place in EVERY iteration of the series, including SF2

wrench

kevin stein

Wrench,

Take a look at it!

Exe_Properties_1.jpg

Exe_Properties_2.jpg

GUI.jpg

can you get me a screenie WITHOUT the properties box in the way??

like below...

wrench

kevin stein

this should be the patch ypu'll be needing

http://forum.combata...s&showfile=3227

is this the ine you're usung?

wrench

kevin stein

Wrench,

What's wrong with my purchase then?

And the patch you are saying, is that patch 3.2 which is meant for the Midway Campaign.

Sorry if I interrupt something, but - where did you buy your SFP1 copy, PadFoot?

Could it possibly be a second hand article? In that case, I suggest that you make sure that you did not purchase the so-called WalMart version, which is technically speaking a buggy beta release, intended solely as a demonstrator for press - and it's not possible to patch it.

You may want to have a look at the following two pages:

http://www.column5.us/faq.htm

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/9541-patch-problem/

I hope that you will be able to solve your problem.

Greets, Uhu

You need the last Service Pack from the Thirdwire archives. http://www.thirdwire.com/downloads_archive.htm

Scroll down and download Strike Fighters Project 1 v05.15.06 Service Pack (74.2 MB)

Install it and then install the patch Wrench pointed you to.

I think that should sort you out.

You need the last Service Pack from the Thirdwire archives. http://www.thirdwire...ads_archive.htm

Scroll down and download Strike Fighters Project 1 v05.15.06 Service Pack (74.2 MB)

Install it and then install the patch Wrench pointed you to.

I think that should sort you out.

THANKS! It's done!! Can you tell me is that SP1, 2 3 or 4?

I go to patch it with Wrench recommendation now.

Yes, Wrench"s recommendations work as well.

So what's wrong at the beginning?

Edited by PadFoot

THANKS! It's done!! Can you tell me is that SP1, 2 3 or 4?

I go to patch it with Wrench recommendation now.

Yes, Wrench"s recommendations work as well.

So what's wrong at the beginning?

The patch from Thirdwire is SP4 IIRC, which brought Stike Fighters game up to date with the other Wings Over... games and all were then patched in parallel from that point I think.

So there was nothing 'wrong' other than the fact that your game wasn't patched up to the appropriate level.

don't waste your time on that korea mod ... it' so outdated, and with so many errors, it's not worth downloading.

it should, however, run in the 06 patch level (although it was built, iirc, before that), but you'll probably be doing lots of tweeking and fiddling to get things right.

a newer and MUCH better mod is in the works, albeit based off a stand-alone SF2 install. It'll blow your doors off when it done, believe you me!! :yikes:

wrench

kevin stein

Many thanks to you folks for all the help you have given to support my getting to know the game better.

What I really meant was why the "Fligthsim.exe" executable from the virgin version of the box I purchased doesn't like the patch which I downloaded from Thirdwire? Did I get the so-called Wallmart version?

I have noticed the same Wrench about the Korean mod. Holy Darkness for the first mission and all of them are empty under the pylons! Do you folks remember Sabre Ace? I believe we simmers have had put a lot efforts into this once acclaimed flight sim back in the 90's. I was just a bit retrospective about that and want to re-acquire the fun of playing some first generation jet fighters from Korean Mod, besides, the graphics of TK's series if not the first class, second class at the very least!

I wish I could purchase a box of it rather than just downloading it from TW's site. Besides, I am used to eBay and Amazon now.