Sign in to follow this  
Coot

Guess what I found in the parking lot at work.....

Yesterday at the Sams club where I work pushing carts right now, I saw this green flyer laying in the parking lot. It looked like normal debris that people drop or leave but as I walked by it I saw a face on it that I recognized. I went about my chores and thought to myself that looked like Burl Ives. Wanting to know what it was, (perhaps it was an advertisment for some sort of songwriters workshop) I went back to take a look at it again. I picked it up and sure enough it was a picture of Burl Ives. I continued to examine it, wondering what it was. I thought maybe it was some sheet music someone dropped from their car. Then I discovered that it was a concert program from 1984 of a show he apparently did. But then there was some writing on the front. Once I made sense of what it was I was really suprised. Its Burl Ives's autograph!!!!!! I'm pretty sure its genuine. He would have still been alive then.(I believe he died in the mid 90s) Its signed "To Pat, Burl Ives". According to the info I was able to garner from the program, this concert took place on Saturday, December 15 at 8:00PM. I assume the concert was in 1984 because on the back there is an advertisement for two other upcoming shows at the theatre. One on Saturday, 26 January 1985 at 8:00 PM and for Friday, 22 February 1985 at 8:00 PM.

According to the program's info, the show apparently was held at or for the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs at a "Arnold Hall Theater" as part of a something called the Theater Variety Series. What's more, Burl Ives is one of my many favorite singers. How cool is that! That just tickled me to death finding that. And that's no coincidence my friends. My Heavenly Father put that in my path to bless me. I'd be happy to return it to whomever owned it but for now its in safe keeping and it brightened my day. Maybe I can scan a picture of it and show you all.

Strange and marvelous things sometimes happens...

That is pretty cool.

Typhoid, seeing your location there, do you know of a "Arnold Hall Theater"?

Edited by Coot

I can tell you that.

Yes, there is an Arnold Hall Theater at the USAF Academy. It's quite possible he performed there in 1985.

FC

Edited by FastCargo

Thanks FastCargo!

It wouldn't have made any impression on me if I picked up that flyer.

Dunno who Burl Ives is until now.

It wouldn't have made any impression on me if I picked up that flyer.

Dunno who Burl Ives is until now.

Burl Ives??? Man... well... depending on how old you are....

Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer... had a very shiny nose... etc..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMlqn_Hjyi8

Corny... I know.. but 100% part of being an American kid in the 70's! :grin:

OvS

He's a folk singer and Balladeer. He's been around a long time and has done alot. He was also in radio, tv and movies. I still have yet to see his well known roles in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" and "Big Country". As a child I always loved seeing his part in "Summer Magic". You might also be familiar with his rendition of "Holly Jolly Christmas".

Edited by Coot

Some may also remember some commercials he did for Luzianne Iced Tea in the 80s.

I have a "record" of him singing Sea Shanties. I quess I'm an antique.