Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

£1m Question for The OBD skinners

Hi Guys,

With over 4,000 skins to choose from in our Favourite sim...I just wondered if there is any ONE skin, that you, as individuals, are particularly proud of doing?...You know...that one skin, that you make, and think "Yes....THAT's the one!"

Hi Guys,

With over 4,000 skins to choose from in our Favourite sim...I just wondered if there is any ONE skin, that you, as individuals, are particularly proud of doing?...You know...that one skin, that you make, and think "Yes....THAT's the one!"

Comon man... give us a top five at least!! grin.gif

5. Alois Heldmann Jasta 10 Fokker D.VII

4. Josef Mai - Jasta 5 Albatros D.III Early (the 'all seeing eye')

3. Constantin Krefft - Jasta 11 Albatros D.III Early

2. Werner Voss - Jasta 2/5/14/29.... etc...etc.. etc... Albatros D.III Early

1. MvR - Jasta 11 - Fokker Dr.1 (obvious choice but really more of an honor than a love)

OvS

Edited by shredward
typo

My hat's off to whoever skinned Sachsenberg's black and yellow chequered DVII. Navarre's Nieups are very nice too, in fact, the Escadrille skins are under-appreciated, IMHO.

Me not voting, just expressing my appreciation - they're all great. 4000+, you OBD guys are the absolute tops.

Hi Dej,

That Sachsenberg skin was Makai's. It really was a labour of love, I know he sweated buckets for ages over that one. Those early Noops were all Rabu's, with Bagger doing the newer ones.

My name is Count. I love to count. Skins. OFF Skins.

Four

Four Thousand

Four Thousand four hundred and seventy-five

AHH AHH AHH

post-32273-1268098175023.jpg

Edited by shredward

Hi Dej,

That Sachsenberg skin was Makai's. It really was a labour of love, I know he sweated buckets for days over that one. Those early Noops were all Rabu's, with Bagger doing the newer ones.

My name is Count. I love to count. Skins. OFF Skins.

Four

Four Thousand

Four Thousand four hundred and seventy-five

AHH AHH AHH

And more to come.... ;)

Wait till they get a load of all the "holes" we filled. cool.gif

Well the skins improved by time but i remember few my favorite:

Albatros D.V/D.Va:

off_Alb_DVa_Ace_t_Jasta 40 1918_Helmut_Dilthey.

- This was one of the first versions i made. Actually introduced my work with this to OBD group.

off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_MFJ I 1917_Friedrich von_Gotz.

- With Gotz´s alb i did with Shredward quite much research. There is only few old Black & white photos of a/c but no color profiles made before.

off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_Jasta 5 1917_Fritz_Rumey

- One of the challenging skin i did. Also there is not much material of this a/c available.

off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_Jasta 15 1917_Kurt_Monnington

- One of the coolest. The skull is painted over original photo.

off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_Jasta 5 1917_Richard_Flashar

- Very nice skin. Also i painted the dragon from the original black & white photo.

Spad Vii:

off_spadVII_ace_t_23 RFC 1917_Clive Wilson_Warman

off_spadVII_ace_t_Esc 48 1917_Armand Jean Galliot Joseph_de Turenne

off_spadVII_ace_t_Esc 78 1917_Armand_Pinsard

Dear UK_Widowmaker,

Great job to get the dev team talking.

I will be checking out the favourite skins one by one.

m

Thank you Morris...... Fishing is my greatest Passion! (for Fish..or Devs) :good::lol:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Hi Dej,

That Sachsenberg skin was Makai's. It really was a labour of love, I know he sweated buckets for days over that one....

Don't suppose he'd be up for this beauty by any chance? :grin::good:

DVIIF_Jasta_74_1918_Wilhelm_Hippert.jpg

Don't suppose he'd be up for this beauty by any chance? grin.gifgood.gif

Actaully... that one is on my half of the list... God help me.. blink.gif

Actaully... that one is on my half of the list... God help me.. blink.gif

Well, Your talent will conquer OvS :salute::drinks:

Well, Your talent will conquer OvS Salute.gifdrinks.gif

No... I think the booze will help on this one....

Maybe after that, I'll do an 'ode to Jimi Hendrix' D.VII.

grin.gif

OvS

Well, the writing "Mimmi" will remind you of Hendrix' record covers of the time -

it's almost "Flower Power Pop"!

:cool:

Funny. The word "mimmi" is slang word in finnish and means "girl" or "chick" :)

Or in English we might say 'Bird' in the same context... which brings it full circle because that DVIIF is a beautiful bird too. Wonderful thing, language.

In German, Mimi is a female first name; I have also seen "Mimmi" with the two "M".

I also checked for "Mimmi" in the web, and found, it is the deminuitive form of

"Vilhelmiina" in Finnish. Paarma??

http://www.behindthename.com/name/mimmi

Or "miina" whitch is also Finnish female first name. "Miina" also means in finnish "mine" :D. Funny these language things :)

In German, Mimi is a female first name; I have also seen "Mimmi" with the two "M".

I also checked for "Mimmi" in the web, and found, it is the deminuitive form of

"Vilhelmiina" in Finnish. Paarma??

http://www.behindthe....com/name/mimmi

You have touched a chord here Widowmaker. I think every skin is like a seperate work of art for the OFF skinners. When I read the thread a few jumped into my head right away. The Shredder was right when he answered Dej about the diamond wonder. The Sachsenberg skin has to be right up on the top with one of my favorites and one that cost me a lot of time. All the Udet DVII's are amongst my favorites, but the one with connecting banding on top and under the top wing was one of my first and most difficult and still as remains one of those I felt I hit the mark on. I think one of the ones I put an extra amount of care into was Voss's DR1. I read Barry Diggens "September Evening" before I even started it. I experimented quite a bit with the streak color until I got what was closest to what many eye witnesses described which meant something between blue gray, dirty gray, green, blue green etc. I wanted the Voss DR1 in OFF to be the most accurate one I could make. The banded Fok DVII wonders of Ulrich Neckel and Josef Mai are up there too which brought up a painful reminder that I still have not completed Hans Kirschsteins DVII optical illusion which was taking way too much time away from my ever growing project list. (nice fishing Widow)

When I started thinking of some of the other DR1's, and DVII's, then the Pfalz's, Alb DII's, Hannovers, DFW's and Rolands I realized how hard it was to pick just 1 or even 5 favorites. As I said each skinner puts the same tender loving care into each skin and when there are over 4000, that is a lot of tender loving care.

post-13145-12683376030529.jpg

This was great to read from all you skinners - thank you very much!

And it will make me take up the challenge again, of making a German Naval hex camo

for an MFJ 1 Albatros - with the hex camo also over the upper fuselage!

Everyone, who tried to link the Albatros sides with the (distorted) back part,

will know what I'm talking about.

Dear UK_Widowmaker,

Thanx again.

I cant wait for the enhanced skins in P4. The current skins from the Dev. and the forum are truly amazing work.

Hi all,

Well as OvS, Paarma and Makai have said, skinning for OFF becomes a passion. In my time with the team I've skinned the Sopwith Camel, SE5 Viper, SE5 HS, Spad X.III, Halberstadt D.II, Nieuport 24/24 bis, Nieuport 28, De-Havilland DH5 in addition to re-skinning the RE8, Bristol Scout and most recently the Sopwith Pup. Like the other OFF skinners, very many skins over very many long days and nights.

To pick particular favorites in nigh impossible, but here's a few that, for me, have proved a challege and therefore some satisfaction when completed.

In order of appearance:

SE5 of No.60 Squadron, RFC flown by William J C K Cochran-Patrick.

Sopwith Camel of No.9 Squadron, RNAS, 1917 flown by Harold F Stackard.

Sopwith Camel of No.3 Squadron, RNAS, 1917 flown by Lloyd Samual Breadner.

Sopwith Camel of No.10 Squadron, RNAS, 1918 flown by Alfred William 'Nick' Carter.

Sopwith Camel of No.10 Squadron, RNAS, 1917 flown by Hugh Bingham Maund.

Spad X.III on ESC (SPA) 88, 1918 flown by Arthur Marie Marcel Coadou.

Spad X.III on ESC (SPA) 80, 1918 flown by Paul Frank Baer.

Spad X.III on ESC (SPA) 112, 1918 flown by Fernand Henti Chavannes.

post-15340-1268430198675.jpg

post-15340-12684302075287.jpg

post-15340-12684302180228.jpg

post-15340-12684302271947.jpg

post-15340-12684302349122.jpg

post-15340-12684302439171.jpg

post-15340-12684302497543.jpg

post-15340-12684302554462.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Oh, I like the last pic, the SPAD XIII - who is the ace that's been flying it?

That's for you, dear Reader, to tell us.

Building these things has led us to drink excessively, that and the effect of the fumes, have robbed us of our few remaining braincells, and we no longer know whose a/c they are.

So we are hoping that one of you crackerjacks could remind us, and perhaps gently guide us back to our barstool.

Cheers,

:drinks:

shredward

Aw, come on, Shred - you guys would have found any other reasons for heavy drinking

and smoking, like the rest of us. But definitely no better ones than creating OFF!

Oh, and braincells are by far overrated - the whole development of mankind proves that! :grin:

Aw, come on, Shred - you guys would have found any other reasons for heavy drinking

and smoking, like the rest of us. But definitely no better ones than creating OFF!

Oh, and braincells are by far overrated - the whole development of mankind proves that! :grin:

Actually... Shred is being nice about it... we have 'others' watching us... and copying us... so we now speak cryptic and offer little information other than speculation, spin and rhetoric.

:blink: