Sign in to follow this  
Morris

ATI 10.3.a drivers out

To ever body with an ATI card.

These are the best drivers ATI has released in months. Great performance and solid.

http://sites.amd.com...-3-preview.aspx

Cheers

Morris

Edited by Morris

Thank you, Morris! Will try it!

FYI: 10.3 is beta, and some people are reporting certain problems (lost effects, etc...) with recent games tho didn't notice any flight sim issues on a brief browse of AMD's forum.

Just mentioning this in case anybody reading this plays something other than flight sims :blink:

Edited by Bandy

Crimi-NETT-ly!! I just downloaded the 10.2 drivers less than two weeks ago and the 10.1 a month-and-a-half before that. Is ATI trying to get into the Guiness Book of World Records for "Most video drivers released in a year" or something?!?

Probably this week or next week Final 10.3.

ATI launches every month a new set of drivers, so it's no surprise.

The Beta version works fine for me so far.

The Beta version works fine for me so far.

I actually get worse performance with these over the 9.12s.

I am running a 5970 and when I used the 9.12s it seemed to only use one gpu at about 95-100% and I was getting 40-60fps. Using these 10.3s it appears to be using both gpus at around 40% each and there is a noticeable microstutter and I am getting 25-50fps :(

I wish there was a way to tell it to make both gpus go at a full 90-100%. I don't wanna go back down to the 9.12s, so maybe I will take my 5970 out and just use my 5870 for now.

Dear Appraiserfl,

Im running them with my 5970 card and no microstutter. 45 - 60 fps all the time.

The bazel compensation under the new drivers also gives the user higher resulotions (5980 x 1200 x 32) than 9.12 - 10.2 drivers.

cheers

m

Dear Appraiserfl,

Im running them with my 5970 card and no microstutter. 45 - 60 fps all the time.

The bazel compensation under the new drivers also gives the user higher resulotions (5980 x 1200 x 32) than 9.12 - 10.2 drivers.

cheers

m

It seems to run better on my Windows 7 version, but my G940 works like poo with windows 7 :(

pls inform me asa those G940 setup works under Windows 7.

Im ready to buy the set but i will wait until it works win Win 7.

Thanks

morris

pls inform me asa those G940 setup works under Windows 7.

Im ready to buy the set but i will wait until it works win Win 7.

Thanks

morris

It works but every five minutes the plane will force itself into a steep dive or steep climb and you have to take your hand off the stick and then grab it again for it to reset itself (the stick has a sensor in the handle to sense if you are holding it). It is very annoying and I am assuming its a Windows 7 issue because it does not do it on my Vista side.

thats bad news...

Sim stopped twice today and threw me back to briefing from the middle of a mission.

Could that be the new driver?

Sim stopped twice today and threw me back to briefing from the middle of a mission.

Could that be the new driver?

No it used to do that to me even back when I was using my Nvidia 8800 ultras, but I do get random grey screen lockups every now and then grrrrrrrr

No it used to do that to me even back when I was using my Nvidia 8800 ultras, but I do get random grey screen lockups every now and then grrrrrrrr

I attached a document showing my MSI GPU usage, you can see core 1 stays at 40% whether or not I am playing a game and GPU 2 spiked to 75% during play and then hit the floor and then went up to 40%. When I was using 9.12s it only used GPU1 and always maxed it to 90%+ and the game ran buttery smooth. These new drivers apparently do not know what to do with the two GPU cores and I am seriously considering just going back to my 5870 and selling the 5970.

gpu usage.pdf

Edited by appraiserfl

appraiserfl, that problem is reported so many times with dual GPU as well with crossfire. I've read that it happen with a lot of different games.

If you want less problems than choose a single card. The only problem is with super uber resolutions might not be enough.

appraiserfl, that problem is reported so many times with dual GPU as well with crossfire. I've read that it happen with a lot of different games.

If you want less problems than choose a single card. The only problem is with super uber resolutions might not be enough.

Hey VP, I do have a 5870 also and I just took out my Sapphire 5970 and put my XFX 5870 in and my FPS have shot up to 45-60fps with the exact same settings that I was using with the 5970! Also, things are much smoother everywhere else, simply moving windows around on my desktop is much smoother with the 5870 than the 5970. Looks like I may be ebaying the 5970 soon.

I am curious however, why morris's 5070 is producing better frames, but that may be a W7 issue.

UPDATE: I have attached the MSI performance chart for the 5800, you can see lots more activity and much higher peaks versus the 5900 and FPS are greatly improved and more stable. Yea, I am staying away from duel GPU cards from now on.

gpu usage 5800.pdf

Edited by appraiserfl

appraiserfl,

I have read at AMD.com that the following about the 5970.

Make sure of the following.

1. updated MB bios

2. PSU - can not have enough power (2x5970 card in crossfire, a 1000w power unit maybe not enough) - I'm running a 1000w for the one ASUS 9570

on the same forum more people seem to have issues with a Sapphire 5970 card than any other? just maybe the problem

My system,

Asus p6t v2 mother board

12 gig Ram

Asus 5970

i7 950 CPU

1000w galaxy PSU

appraiserfl,

I have read at AMD.com that the following about the 5970.

Make sure of the following.

1. updated MB bios

2. PSU - can not have enough power (2x5970 card in crossfire, a 1000w power unit maybe not enough) - I'm running a 1000w for the one ASUS 9570

on the same forum more people seem to have issues with a Sapphire 5970 card than any other? just maybe the problem

My system,

Asus p6t v2 mother board

12 gig Ram

Asus 5970

i7 950 CPU

1000w galaxy PSU

Thanks Morris, but I am running a 1000w psu myself and it was only pushing the 5970. Its bios was the latest and greatest, this is clearly a Vista 64 driver issue. The 9.12s handeled things by shutting down the cards ability for crossfire, in effect making it a downclocked 5870. The 10.2s and now the 10.3s try to open it up and allow it to operate as a duel gpu, but for games like OFF that don't use crossfire, you have the problem that I had. Like I said it seems to be a vista issue because I get much better frames in W7. The problem is my G940 is a disaster in W7, so I gotta play OFF in Vista.

BUT all around my computer is much better with just the 5870, even my desktop is better, less grpahical lag and sluggishness. I will just sell the 5970 while it is still hot and can get almost all of my money back and then wait for a 2 gig memory card!

Are these drivers worth a try? I have no issues with the current ones.