Sign in to follow this  
Guest British_eh

OFF aircraft - would this be a valuable addition?

Top speed of OFF aircraft  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a top speed that is realistic to the OFF aircraft, coded into the FM, if possible?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't matter

Guest British_eh

Hi there,

Of course one of the mainstays of OFF are the planes, and all to do with them. After all, it is about flying. We have pretty much all the crtieria needed to emulate real life aircraft, as certified pilots have informed us.

We can take off, criuse, turn, bank, stall, and most other things in between. So, is it a requirement that we have a top speed parameter built into the aircraft? Is it possible with the MS CFS coding?

As Uncleal has reiterated, a dirt nap comes rapidly, when you are headed earth bound at 150 + mph. I know the Dr.1 will in a matter of a few short seconds, jump to a speed of 175 mph, and I'm sure if I had the advisor/warnings on, it would indicate that there is some sever stress going on with the aircraft.

All planes have a top speed, and it usually isn't too much faster than the top speed of a piston driven aircraft.

Cheers,

British_eh

Edited by British_eh

In my humble opinion I think we shouldn't have it as the pilots of the day didn't have it. To me it makes it more interesting when diving away from an enemy aircraft as you have to think like a pilot back then having to be aware of your speed in the dive... but hey thats me...

Though I may have got the wrong end of the stick on this one though...

Edited by Slartibartfast

I'm a No Vote...Purely because I am happy with the way things are.

If anything, they should have a minimum speed...as the RPM of the Camel and the Pfaltz are so far apart..you would struggle to bridge the Gap with the Golden Mile Bridge

PS . . If you're pushing a SE5a at 15,000 feet in Combat, and 12 more pilots with Sausage Breath show up. It's nice to know, there's not a German Aircraft Made, that can pull that one off, and LIVE

Haven't actually tried it myself, but I think the Pfalz D.IIIa might be able to do just that, and the Pfalz D.XII also (but that we don't have in OFF - yet). But the SE5a can definitely outrun the Pfalz.

I voted "No" Btrit

Se5's dive like Stukas

Dr1 Controls lock up and you Dirt Nap

And Albatross & Nupes lose their wings

This seems realistic and true to their designs

Guest British_eh

Interesting:

For those of you out there who are purists, there is a top speed to all aircraft, terminal velocity so to speak. The Cessna 150 (two seater and small, similar to WWI size, 1000 lbs, 100 hp) will do a flat out speed of 122 mph. If in a dive, you will only get about 135 mph out of her, no matter how hard you try.

The Sopwith Camel, had a top flat out speed of 104 mph with the Clerget 130 hp engine. The top speed in a dive was about 130 mph. That's it.

The Dr.1 with the Oberursel 110 hp rotary is reputed to have a flat out speed of 115 mph, with a max dive speed of 140 mph. Yes, and it's faster than the Camel, less friction, less wires.

So, when for some reason I'm not paying attention, and I notice my Dr.1 is doing a nose dive at 175 mph, it just didn't happen realistically, so to tweak the aircraft in OFF to the same, would be even a step closer to the real thing.

Research: Aerodrome -Personal discussions with: Swed -Mikael Carlson, Owner/Pilot of a completely original Dr.1 replica & The Aerodrome - Dan san Abbott > BOOKS Flying Fury - McCudden, The War in the Air - Kennett, German Air Forces - 1914 -1918 - I. Sumner, Richthofen's Circus' - G. VanWyngarden, Fokker Dr.1 Aces of WWI - N. Franks, G. VanWyngarden, The Jasta War Chronology - N.Franks, F. Bailey, R. Duiven, and finally Fokker Dr.1 Triplane - Paul Leaman, Camel vs Dr.1- Gutman.

Cheers,

British_eh

Edited by British_eh

For the player FMs there IS terminal velocity in there already on the craft, they behave differently and sustain more or less damage in a dive at different speeds. Se5a for example CAN dive like the devil and pull up close to the ground (as described in pilot reports).

AI diving is however controlled by CFS3 and does not always follow the rules. We are, as mentioned before, looking at the AI so IF we can improve that we will. As always no promises at this stage.

Max dive speed can mean more than one thing in WW1 reports. It can mean it can go no faster, or could mean no one dared go any more i.e. recommended or "safe" dive. As over that speed is known to cause damage or difficult controls etc.

Not many replicas would be pushed to the limit whilst being shot at?.

Also this does not mean your wings fall off there and then depending on the amount of stress - for example it could mean you weakened the wings, but get back fine. The NEXT flight you found out in real life. This adds to the uncertainty.. one pilot says oh I flew my Se5a to 300 mph down and pulled up fine. No one mentioned what happened to the next poor guy to borrow it or how fast he went before the wings departed.

Currently we don't carry damage onto the next flight as your mechs are wonderful at spotting it ;)

If you have specific proven dive data on specific craft we can look at but in most where known it's there already.