Hi folks

i always thought that the stock Mig-21-front gear is too long: the aircraft sits too high in front, the angle relative to the ground is wrong. so i wanted to change that. i increased the "stroke" -parameters in the data.ini. this works well in the SF1 series, but does not work in SF2.

so my question: which of the following parameter - mostly: stroke, spring, damping - is responsible for the angle ?

[NoseGear]

SystemType=LANDING_GEAR

Retractable=TRUE

DeployTime=5.0

AnimationID=1

DragArea=0.124

HideGearNode=TRUE

ModelNodeName=NoseGearStrut

InsideNodeName=Nosegear_Well

ShockAnimationID=7

ShockStroke=0.36

SpringFactor=1.5

DampingFactor=2.0

WheelNodeName=NoseGearTire

RotationAxis=X-AXIS

RollingRadius=0.25

CastoringWheel=TRUE

CastoringNodeName=NoseGearHydraulics

Steerable=TRUE

MaxSteeringSpeed=41.15

Locking=FALSE

MaxSteeringAngle=45.0

InputName=YAW_CONTROL

ControlRate=1.0

HasBrakes=FALSE

RollingCoefficient=0.05

MaxDeploySpeed=128.61

MaxLoadFactor=3.0

CompressGearOnRetraction=TRUE

any help is very appreciated.

thx

Sokol

I don't know for sure in Strike Fighters, but IRL, a softer spring (assuming equal length is required) will compress more, accomplishing what you are looking for. (typically you would go for a shorter but stiffer spring to compensate for the reduced travel, but there isn't a "cut X # of coils from spring" parameter here [and no, I would never advocate cutting springs on a car... just saying. lol])

Hi

thx for your answers. i like the spring-consideration :-)

@ Fubar: where do i have to insert the "OnGroundPitchAngle" ? is it meant to be in degree ? tried it in the nose-gear-section without any visible effect.

cheers

sokol

Since it specifically states "angle", I'd say that it's safe to conclude that it's in degrees. That statement goes in the flight control section of the data.ini.

Actually, goes in the AircraftData section; below from a Mustang....

]AircraftData[

DestroyedModel=P51DDest.LOD

DestroyedEffect=VehicleFireEffect

EmptyMass=3610.2

EmptyInertia=6076.00,8329.00,13068.00

ReferenceArea=21.9

ReferenceSpan=11.27

CGPosition=0.00,0.00,0.00

OnGroundPitchAngle=11.0

Component[001]=Fuselage

the number is degrees. DETERMINING the number is the hard part ... one would need a real good 3-view, or engineering drawings (or finding a Real Life ™ parked Fishbed, and using a protractor and plumb-bob to read actual degrees)

On a side note, is it just me that seems to be the only one noticing that TKs got all the rolling radius numbers a bit on the small side?

Just look at any aircraft (in particular, look at any Phantom). Wheels are half buried in the ground.

wrench

kevin stein

On a side note, is it just me that seems to be the only one noticing that TKs got all the rolling radius numbers a bit on the small side?

Just look at any aircraft (in particular, look at any Phantom). Wheels are half buried in the ground.

wrench

kevin stein

It's not just you. I've noticed that too. And it's common among add-ons as well (from what I've seen in my install).

Hi Fubar,

ja, angle translates into degrees (at least mostly, some technical experts use percentages, 100% = 90 degrees).

thx again, no luck again. tried high positive and negative values (45.0), no visible effect.

:-(

sokol