Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Somebody asked about this...

yes, it's in The Shop for Overhaul; yes things on the original are placed VERY wrong and no, don't expect ANYTHING about this this until, at the earlist, near year's end or next year.

(and yes, I do know about the missing tile -- forgot the place the 'desertAB.bmp' there...) Needs extensive retiling, and the complete targets ini tossed in the trash (well, I think I can save maybe 5 cities...) And yes, the Caspain Sea is there as well

wrench

kevin stein

Excellent news! Any chance of adding the airbase at Ras Assanya and the prison and airstrip at Kermanshah as easter eggs? I'd like to have a bash at some Richard Herman missions in homage to your work in Janes FA. Maybe a Warbirds campaign and Force of Eagles mission pack?

I would SOOOOO love to do that .... Warbirds is one of my all time favorite books!! Ther's the Amiens prison facilty on the WW2 map I could 'borrow'.... placing Rats As$ would be the hardest part ... airfields don't like being within 1 tile of the coast (causes water humping, but with Brain's and Baltika's 'height field' tuts, might be workable!

Don't know if Turkey is there or is usable, due to "The Wall" for FoE ... but we got ALL the planes for both!

hmmm....now you got me thinking ... use 2 river/sea ends for the small beach area between the mainland and the island,with the bridge over it, as described .... sea/desert 25/75s......hmm.... and I have an approximate idea as to 'where' on the Saudi coast it might go... runway1/5/6 are approx 1 tile in lenght....hmmmmmm.......some experimentation is in order, me thinks!!! (and be a hell of a lot better than flying the same 75 miles, like the ATF/FA versions... on the isreal/egypt map!!)

wrench

kevin stein

Richard Hermann Jr.

Now there is a name I've not seen in quite some time. I may have to dust off his books and give `em a re-read.

I wonder how well they aged. Largely different world since the boom-times of techno-thrillers.

Clancy, Coonts, Dale Brown, Harold Coyle, et. al., man I used to consume those books in one bite!

There's a map at the front of the book showing where Ras Assanya is located. If you don't have a copy handy I can scan the page from mine.

In 'The Warbirds' the 45th TFW had 3 squadrons of F-4Es (377th TFS, 378th TFS and 379th TFS). The tailcodes were AX (at Alexandria South, Egypt) and SW (at RAF Stonewood, England). I'm not sure about when they were at Ras Assanya, I'd have to read through the book again in detail, but if it's not in there would they change the code on deployment to something like RA, or keep the SW code?

The cover of my copy of the book shows and F-4 in the grey scheme, which should be about right for the late 1980s when the story is set.

The wing gained a detachment of F-4Gs and a squadron of F-15Cs. Saudi and IIRC Iraqi support is also mentioned. Other US support aircraft metioned are C-130s, KC-135s and a stealth recon fighter (maybe the F-19?)

The Iranians are specifically mentioned as having MiG 23 Floggers. It shouldn't be too difficult to mod either a stock TW Flogger or a MF one to represent an Iranian bird, and presumably the Iranians would also have their stock aircraft from the IranIraq mod (F-4, F5, F-14 etc).

Let me know if you need any more info.

BTW, the Grain King rescue at the beginning of the book would make a nice quick mission - 2 F-4Es with wing tanks and gun vs 2 fully armed Libyan MiG 23s intercepting a USAF C-130 famine relief flight.

Re-reading The Warbirds right now! Ras Assanya would actually be at the bottom of that map as pictured, right on the coast in that little rectangular area jutting out into the gulf.

I haven't played Strike Fighters for a while, but found this thread while searching for what paint scheme those Phantoms would be wearing. I'm guessing no one has modded up the 45TFW birds yet.

Hi!!

I am quite new here, so I am not quite sure what you are refering to. Are you talking about an overhaul of an iran-irak map? Do I see the Eyphrat and Tigris on the picture?

If so will there be also some parts of Israel in it?

TG

Euphrates and Tigris

yes

no ... beyond the 'size' of the map. Only Iran/Iraq

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

Wrench, is it DesertStorm, or Iran Iraq being redone?

if it is Desert Storm there are tons of airfields missing on coalition side, as you probably know

Since I put them there, yah, lots missing.

No, this is the old Iran/Irag map. Haven't decieded on which tileset to use (probably DS, with new one added as necessary)

But, this is a LOOOOOONG Haul project ... 6-9 months in the future, for intended re-release. If not next year, all depending on all the other pies I've got my fingers in -KAW taking prescedence (sp?)

wrench

kevin stein

Reread other novels from this author lately...

Need to buy a new exemplar of "the warbirds"...I remember it was a wonderfull book, with quite detailled description of the F-4 scheme....

I haven't worked on this for a month or 2, but this is what the region looks like in the TE. I've labeled some cities, so you get an idea of what's where.

YOu can see I created the island for the 45th TFW base; with luck I should also be able to throw a bridge (the causway as described in the book) to the mainland. The island is actually larger than I wanted, but that's due to how the TE flattens airbase regions ... you need at least 1 tile between the sea/water and the base's center point, otherwise you get the dreaded "water mountains" that annoy the daylight out of me!

wrench

kevin stein