Sign in to follow this  
zzzspace

Zzzspace Sounds For Lomac 1.02

I just wanted to let you know that there will be a new sound effect pack released in a day or two that will be 100% compatible with Lock On version 1.02.

I have had a quick look at it and it's a simple adjustment to make the current v4.1 pack fully compatible with Lock On 1.02. I just need a day or two to test it and make sure all is right with it etc., then will post it up here in BioHaz for download.

Can you please do the honours again GhostDog? Cheers mate!

Could someone also please inform peeps at UBI forum; there was a question posted about it a little while ago:

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=...606&m=396100074

Great news.

Of course you can get it hosted here.

;) once again i will just move your thread to the correct forum

btw... i will of course post on the Ubi boards.

Hey, that's some great news zzzspace, looking forward to it ;)

Update after 24 hrs… still a work in progress.

I’ve completed combining all of the sounds from the current version 4.1 of the sound pack with the new avionics sounds from the 1.02 patch. There are a total of 14 avionics sounds in all within this pack (5 new ones from 1.02) and they all have to be checked for proper balance and to be clearly audible in use (but not annoyingly so on long missions). It’s all working and sounds great, but I haven’t had time to test it thoroughly to make sure all the 130 sounds are functioning properly. I would not normally need to test it all in detail, but the 1.02 patch made significant changes to the Lock On sound engine’s behaviour.

I found that when I combined my Sound.cfg from version 4.1 (with the necessary new avionics added of course) I found that the sound engine is now operating a bit differently to previous. It’s not quite so simple to just combine them, so I’ve had to change a few settings in the Sound.cfg to get it all working sweet again, which means I have to now test it all (and adjust … and test again, etc.), in a number of missions before release.

The good news is that the Lock On sound engine stereo imaging now works—it’s not Dolby 5.1 Surround by any means, but it does add a whole new level of sound image to Lock On—though there are still some pops and crackles present, particularly when missiles hit aircraft (but some pops and crackles are also present in other recent f/sims and shooters). So I want to make sure this pack’s sounds are ideal for use with this stereo imaging, which I’m sure many people will use once they hear it working with this sound pack. I’ve observed no loss of frames per second using it, even within the most complex missions I’ve constructed for testing purposes.

I’ve noted the request from DayGlow in UBI forum about a non-chatter version of the pack. The chatter will still be retained with this version, but I’ll also include an alternative file that has no radio chatter within it and instructions in the LOMAN readme information window on how to remove the chatter file and use this alternative instead.

I hope to have it all done and ready for download here from BioHaz by the end of Friday (unless circumstances prevent this occurring by that time).

zzzspace

--

P.S. You need to enable DirectX hardware acceleration for the stereo effect to be heard—remember, each PC setup is different, so mileage may vary.

thanks for the update.

I will inform thu UBItes :unsure:

Good work zzzspace,

Seems like you inspired them to change the way the sound works in Lock On.

Hey Zzz, when I was using your sounds for 1.01 I noticed you had (wisely) removed all the radio chatter and warning bells that would be constantly playing when you were navigating menus, setting up missions, etc.

If I wanted to, for example, make a .wav out of the "Danger Zone" song from Top Gun and have that play instead during menu navigation so I could further immerse myself in a sick, twisted Tom Cruise fantasy world, where would I put that .wav file?

Thanks.

sounds great Z.

Quick question, what files control the volume of the internal sounds. ie engine etc. I would love to tweak the mod so that it's quiet in the cockpit, but loud in external views.

I know and appreciate that you desire to balance between these and don't expect you to change anything. Do I have to reprocess the sounds themselves, or do something in the sound.cfg.

Thanks for the great sound pack, it really changes the sonic scape of the sim.

Do you have Strke Fighters and ever thought of a sound pack for that sim?

Hey Zzz, when I was using your sounds for 1.01 I noticed you had (wisely) removed all the radio chatter and warning bells that would be constantly playing when you were navigating menus, setting up missions, etc.

If I wanted to, for example, make a .wav out of the "Danger Zone" song from Top Gun and have that play instead during menu navigation so I could further immerse myself in a sick, twisted Tom Cruise fantasy world, where would I put that .wav file?

Thanks.

The sound file you need to replace is the 'Main.ogg' sound file located in

Lock On\Sounds\Music Folder

Hope this helps

I forgot to mention also that they fixed that annoying sonic boom repetition coming from external (when sonic boom sound comes) to cockpit view.

Am I the only one that noticed this? :P

I forgot to mention also that they fixed that annoying sonic boom repetition coming from external (when sonic boom sound comes) to cockpit view. 

Am I the only one that noticed this? :P

Hey, you're right. That bothered me too. And thanks for the info.

Eagerly awaiting the new sounds Zzz, thanks for your hard work.

sounds great Z.

Quick question, what files control the volume of the internal sounds. ie engine etc. I would love to tweak the mod so that it's quiet in the cockpit, but loud in external views.

I know and appreciate that you desire to balance between these and don't expect you to change anything. Do I have to reprocess the sounds themselves, or do something in the sound.cfg.

Thanks for the great sound pack, it really changes the sonic scape of the sim.

Do you have Strke Fighters and ever thought of a sound pack for that sim?

G'day DayGlow, please to hear you are liking the packs. :D

The Sound.cfg file allows you to alter internal sound levels with the volume parameter (do not exceed Volume = 2.7; if you use those parameters for your tweaking, you may get lock ups from it).

I've stopped using those internal volume controls though because I noticed they were causing odd things to occur. I now only edit sound levels in the file itself (using my .ogg originals, not the derived .wav files from the pack itself).

Most of the reason why there is a big difference between standard sounds and my pack is because the standard sounds are quite muffled, quiet and unclear, so taking some top end off the sounds might do it for you to (?).

I've not even played Strike Fighters yet. :( Just haven't had the time, maybe I 'll get it soon and look into it. I've tweaked F4 BMS 2.0 externals a bit though, but not seriously yet.

I hope this new pack works well for you DayGlow, give it a go in Stereo with DirectX hardware acceleration enabled—it cooks! ;)

Have fun!