Hi guys, I bought WOE some weeks ago and like it; I've patched with the Oct 2008 patch and also installed Op Desert Storm.

A few questions-

1- Some of the games fighter-bombers don't have CCIP's on the HUD, making bombing a matter of pure luck, so why no CCIP's?

2- Is there a Mission Creator mod available?

3- Shall I stay with WOE forever or try Strike Fighters 1 and 2,or WOI etc? Do they have any new features that WOE lacks?

1- Some of the games fighter-bombers don't have CCIP's on the HUD, making bombing a matter of pure luck, so why no CCIP's?

Which aircraft?

2- Is there a Mission Creator mod available?

There is one in the SF1 download section in the utilities and editors section called Le Missioneur.

3- Shall I stay with WOE forever or try Strike Fighters 1 and 2,or WOI etc? Do they have any new features that WOE lacks?

Move on to the SF2 series. Easier to use, more under the hood and is still supported. Most mod teams have moved on to the SF2 series. anyway.

to 1.) not all planes are equipped with CCIP for instance the A-4

to 3.) If you have WOE with the latest patch you dont need SFP1, WOV or WOI. Terrains, weapons and planes for the areas and time frames of this sims are available as freeware in the download section.

SFP2 has some small improvements and is only neccessary if you have Vista or Windows7.

Edited by Gepard

The SF2 (and FE2) series do have more features, but also no multiplayer if you like that sort of thing.

Over SF1 series its can use DX10, has new 3D jet models and cockpits with more functionality, new RWR avionics like vector and TEWs, is supported on Vista/Win7, and already is taking advantage of multicore CPUs better. If you have a high end system or are getting one with win 7 then its the SF2 series only - Im not even sure the SF1 series will be supported at all anymore.

If you are not sure about the games check out my sig - everything up to Strike Fighters 2 is the older SF1 series.

Edited by MigBuster

Over SF1 series its can use DX10, has new 3D jet models and cockpits with more functionality, new RWR avionics like vector and TEWs, is supported on Vista/Win7, and already is taking advantage of multicore CPUs better. If you have a high end system or are getting one with win 7 then its the SF2 series only - Im not even sure the SF1 series will be supported at all anymore.

Really? What is it that 7 is having problems with, random bugs (like I am experiencing) or what? I have Win7 on mine, not trying to say "mine's working" type of smart ... but what I need to be on the look out for.

You know, I am really glad someone asked the question about the advantages of SF2. I have been wanting to ask and never think to do it while I am banging away in here.

MiG, I have a W7 machine that seems to run the SF1 series fine, er, for the most part. Generally speaking when something is up it is my fault. Others, like the canopy on the F-84 staying open in flight, are bugs of sorts that are either third party mistakes or machine faults. That said, I look at you post and am wondering "why even fart around with SF1 anymore?" It seems like there is a lot more stuff available for SF2 at this point, but you know me and detail right? I am basing this off of the skins folders for the planes and comparing them to the ones for SF1. Am I missing something maybe?

~Stingray

The first series runs okay in Win 7 if you do the required and install Oct 2008 which TK kindly changed to make it work with Vista - I have 4 installs of it left (2 of them actually 2006 level). Have had a few CTDs.

For anyone who is yet to get a Thirdwire game then my experience would suggest:

Basically - if you have a 3+ year old PC with single core then the first series will probably run better - although with the Oct 2008 patch some settings will need to be lowered.

If you have a newer PC with a Multicore CPU and a mid to high end graphics card then would suggest SF2 - TK has admitted himself he has added code in recent patches to make things run better on multicore CPUs - this in itself may make things not run as well on single core.

For me - SF2 runs a lot better, looks a lot better (The P-51D pit is truly amazing!) and has more features which will hopefully be added to this year.

Of course if you only have SF1 - then its still a good game, that still looks okay if you haven't played SF2 - and im sure there are years of play to be had from it still - for example there is an EAW forum on this site. I suspect as more people get a new machine they will support Thirdwire by getting the SF2 games - lets face it if Falcon 5.0 came out tommorrow I would probably be ditching AF for my 3D clickable pit :good:

With TKs original business model he would have brought out a new game for Vista and then given out free patches for the older games WOE/WOV etc - but I guess that was not sustainable for him anymore. The SF2 games are anyway dirt cheap for me - £10 for a suez add on, not bad for a hobby, I spend £25 a week on petrol!

This looks like a very sensible analysis and a fair assesment of the pro's and contra's

of the whole thing without the SF1 / WOX bashing that seems to be SOP these days.....

Thanks MigBuster !!good.gif

Hou doe,

Derk

Yes, good info. I have a fairly new computer with a dual core processor and was wondering why my computer was running the game a little slower than I would have guessed it would. It might have something to do with that eh? I did have some graphics issues when I installed the 2008 patches on all three games and had to lower my settings to make them work smooth.

I think I will try to make a switch to SF2 the next time I get to sit around for a few days. My question: is there is much cool stuff for SF2 somewhere hidden? I have some pretty cool expansion packs/skins/mods for SF1 and will certainly miss it lol.

~Stingray

There is plenty of stuff out for SF2 - but not as much as for SF1 for various reasons.

An experienced modder can use a lot of things SF1 anyway and convert them over - whereas people who rely on downloads that are already 95% there need to wait until some one puts them here for SF2.