Sign in to follow this  
rabu

Der Ostwind

A few years ago I posted a link to this excellent, short animated film made by students at Bringham Young University. I happned to come across it again and thought some of you may not have seen it or might like to see it again.

Jack Hunter, who wrote The Blue Max saw this short film and made friends with it's student producer for a shot time before he died early last year at age 87. He loved the film and wrote the following on his blog site:

"In all my years as a journalist, editor, and novelist, I’ve encountered or dealt with uncountable pursuers of the literary arts. Among these legions I’ve espied all levels of creativity and talent, ranging from a handful of geniuses through many ranks of journeymen, to the tail-end dilettantes — the sideline dabblers who want not to create but to have created, and thereby, without much effort, to be included among the doers they admire. And what separated the stellar few from the mass of generics was invariably a consuming dissatisfaction with the usual and a driving need to push out its borders. These were the writers and artists whose inventive brilliance more often than not made them objects of derision as nut cases, or, at best, dismissed as “egotistical” and “controversial.”

Happily, though, a satisfying number of innovators have survived the quicksand and have gone on to wide and favorable recognition. And one of the most recent in my personal experience is Kohl Glass, who, while a student at Brigham Young University, used five years of his own time and virtually all of his meager savings to create, produce, and direct Der Ostwind, a short film, a morality tale based on World War I aerial combat, which ingeniously combines live actors and dialogue with animation and computer-generated backgrounds."

You can read the full account on this site (click here)

And here is an interesting bio on Hunter's live(click here)

Der Ostwind website (click here)

Der Ostwind - the movie (click here)

In search of a worthy opponent, a German WWI ace accepts the challenge of a mysterious and seemingly invincible American pilot; only to discover the true price of honor.

Enjoy! good.gif

Edited by rabu

You may want to check out the Movie Link Rabu...just took me to the Pub!! :yikes:

You may want to check out the Movie Link Rabu...just took me to the Pub!! :yikes:

Thanks, I fixed it!

Thanks for posting it again, Rabu.

Some time ago, I searched for it - without remembering the title, nor who had posted it.

And without success. It's a great little story.

Super atmosphere in that film, I wonder if he is making anything else since ?

Super atmosphere in that film, I wonder if he is making anything else since ?

Hi, Pol: Haven't heard of much else. He did this short, dark film, "The Promethean" a few years ago and you can watch it here (click)

The guy has a lot of talent.

The feeling the film gets across is pretty amazing, sort of like a dream.

180.jpg

inthecockpit.jpg

Both images above from the website (click here)

Yeah I watched The Promethean, that was good too, but IMDB.COM has nothing much on him either -he seems to have vanished. Maybe he is behind the scenes elsewhere now.