Sign in to follow this  
Olham

FIFA World Cup

Where are the Dallas Cowboys?

I will always call soccer as football. For us in Portugal there are two kinds of football. The American and the real one. :grin:

Yeah, indeed, von Paulus!

Sometimes we must explain the copyrights to the newbies over the pond. :rofl:

Well, Germany shouldn't have much trouble beating Ghana, if Ghana plays as weakly against them as they did against Australia. Even though the Aussies had one less player after a red card, they dominated most of the game. Ghana was surprisingly passive this time. But of course they shouldn't be underestimated. All kind of weird sh*t has happened in this Cup...

PS. What's American football? Some colonial sport? :grin:

PS. What's American football? Some colonial sport? :grin:

Here, this should explain it all:

btw. I'm sure most European's would like real ...erm ...American Football

Tackling is not only allowed, it's highly encouraged :lol:

:rofl: That fits under the rubric: "Difficult sports friendships - the Golfer and the Football Team"!

I will let John Cleese of "Monty Python" explain here, why only our European game can be called "football":

I find that beer helps when it comes to watching soccer. That and turning down the sound. Whatever happened to the singing and chanting? That sounded like a good time then.

I find I can't warm up to this not playing until there is a winner. And the officiating... and the acting...

If it's your cup of tea that's great, best wishes to you and your favorite team. My baseball Twins just came back from a huge defecite to beat the Phillies 13-10 in 11 innings. That's overtime if you didn't know and we have a winner.

I will let John Cleese of "Monty Python" explain here, why only our European game can be called "football":

:rofl: LOL! John Cleese is great

He's the best at outrageous comedy

Baseball is a great sport, Rickitycrate; a friend of mine (native American) used to play it,

and they had a tournament in Hamburg many years ago, which I watched.

Fortunetely he had explained the rules to me before. So I found it very thrilling.

And you're right about the non-playing of some teams so far - I wonder what's the matter

there (France, England). Perhaps it is really so, that no player really likes to play the

World Cup after a season of straining matches - that they only go there, cause they were

called by their country, but with no real energy?

Olham, you have the advantage on me. I know little of soccer. I recall when I was 12 years old and my school phys ed class they forced us to play soccer. We students mildly protested and asked why must we play soccer? The teacher said "it's the world sport and the US needs to be competitive". That did not make us care then. Now I see many soccer fields full of teams and parents watching. So it seems the campaign has had success. Perhaps the US will field stronger and more competitive teams before long.

Olham, you have the advantage on me. I know little of soccer. I recall when I was 12 years old and my school phys ed class they forced us to play soccer. We students mildly protested and asked why must we play soccer? The teacher said "it's the world sport and the US needs to be competitive". That did not make us care then. Now I see many soccer fields full of teams and parents watching. So it seems the campaign has had success. Perhaps the US will field stronger and more competitive teams before long.

I had the same experience

I've played 2 (semi) organised games of soccer in 8th grade phys-ed

It wasn't pretty, we had no idea of positional play etc.

But nowadays my nephews are soccer crazy

There're organised youth leagues all about

Yes, the US are good in all sorts of sport, and they will try to get to the top in football (soccer).

So it will get harder among the top ranks surely.

As a school boy, I didn't like soccer, cause the sports teacher didn't even bother to explain the rules;

he must have thought, that every German boy knew them already - but I didn't.

So it came to the event, that I got the ball, all alone in the opponent's half; I took it and ran, wondering

why no one attacked me, and why the goal keeper pretended to be so bored; and then I placed it in

the goal wonderfully! I looked around, only to find the others near the mid line, laughing; and my

teacher, shouting, if I hadn't heard the whistling (I was miles offside!)

I was quite annoyed and said "No, I had more important things to do!"

After that, I was never interested in this "sport for insiders" anymore. Only much later, I played it with

friends, who took the time to explain the rules to me before.

Edited by Olham

Did you guys know..the only two ball games invented by the American's are Basketball and Netball?

(I didn't until the other day)

UK:

I think you'll find that basketball was in fact invented by a Canadian.

James Naismith was the Canadian physical education instructor who invented basketball in 1891.

He was working at Springfield college in Massachusetts at the time.

Tony

Ah, cheers Tony...so, the Yanks have invented diddly-squat then?

Guest British_eh

Sorry there UK_W, but I don't think we should even give them credit for "diddly-squat" either.:grin:

Cheers,

British_eh

Ah, cheers Tony...so, the Yanks have invented diddly-squat then?

Sorry Uncle Al, but since 1994 lacrosse has been the official summer sport of Canada.

"In 1994, however, a zealous hockey fan and Member of Parliament, Nelson Riis, introduced a private member's bill that declared hockey the national sport of Canada. After much debate, the bill was amended to make HOCKEY the official winter sport and LACROSSE the official summer sport. The National Sports Act of Canada received royal assent in May of that year.

Tony

It's incredible that Italy almost lost to New Zealand yesterday (draw, 1-1). So the trend of big football countries failing against smaller ones continues in this Cup. The New Zealand team played so well that it was very exciting to watch them fight. They certainly didn't give too much respect to the Italian stars.

FIFA have chosen a "GERMAN" ref called Wolfgang Stark for Englands game on Wednesday.

England is now definitely kaput! :yikes::grin:

Don't Panik! (Douglas Adams)

Davy, the German ref will be no problem - we are fair sportsmen (despite the Wimbledon goal!).

And he can't whistle any worse than the ref in the match Germany vs Serbia.

So please don't blame us, when England should proof unable to win the match. Tch!

Don't be so sure about that. The ref in the Chile vs Switzerland was pretty awful. Not German, though. Practically everybody and his dog got a yellow card.

Don't Panik! (Douglas Adams)

Davy, the German ref will be no problem - we are fair sportsmen (despite the Wimbledon goal!).

So please don't blame us, when England should proof unable to win the match. Tch!

England are crap so I might as well get my excuses in early and blame either a German, an Argie, an Aussie or a Jock. :grin: