Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

Counting Kills

:jester: Has this happen to U ? Got into a small furball shooting at everything. I gots hits on a N17 smoke poured out then he was gone and in a turning figh I t fired on 2 more N-17s got a lot of hits on both. Next came a diving attack and a different N-17s lower wing came off. RTB I Posted a claim for 1 a/c dest. The pop up read Errornous claim will be rejected so put in for 2 a.c same pop up so put in 3 then 4, same pop up. Number 5 this time it read all claims rejected. so I ended up with zip. dest.:scout: :frantic:

Unfortunately you didn't score any actual kills at all. I'll bet your wingmen swooped in and put a round or two into each of the planes you had going down, and when they do that.... they will score the kill. Tough break. That's the way the game scores it. Whoever hits the plane last gets the credit. Happens to me quite frequently, but then again, there's so many more sorties to be flown. You'll get plenty of other chances.

You either did not bring any of the craft down, as Winston explains,

or you have made a mistake, like

- forgot to fill in the wingmen names above

- chose the wrong aircraft type

- filled in only one or two wingman and wrote a name wrong

Edited by Olham

chosing the wrong type might decrease the chances for a confirmation, but that isn't producing an errormessage. this feature is actually quite realistic. if i shoot down a nieuport i often don't know if it's a nieuport bis or whatever type, or if it's a se5 hispano suiza or other version (no labels). you can even choose a completely different AC and can get the confirmation with some luck.

i once shot down a camel, but claimed it as a pup since the type was new at the front and the camel wasn't chosable yet, and got it confirmed. and in real i probably would have also claimed a pup because that's the type i know at that period. well done, devs :drinks:

p.s. MvR has often claimed a vickers when having shot down a fee and also got it confirmed.

Edited by Creaghorn

Claiming kills was historically often a very confusing business, so it only adds to immersion when sometimes things go badly wrong with our claims in OFF. And every ace usually had many unconfirmed kills in addition to the confirmed ones. Two of the best, MvR and Fonck, both claimed well over 100 kills, but of course didn't get them all confimed.

Then there was the British system, where all you had to do was point your plane in the general direction of something that was flying and claim it as a kill and earn the VC.

(Just kidding, of course.) grin.gif

Claiming kills was historically often a very confusing business, so it only adds to immersion when sometimes things go badly wrong with our claims in OFF. And every ace usually had many unconfirmed kills in addition to the confirmed ones. Two of the best, MvR and Fonck, both claimed well over 100 kills, but of course didn't get them all confimed.

Then there was the British system, where all you had to do was point your plane in the general direction of something that was flying and claim it as a kill and earn the VC.

(Just kidding, of course.) grin.gif

and where 3 different pilots can get credit for the same wreckage...:grin: