Sign in to follow this  
vonOben

Graphical errors with ATI video card

I use Catalyst Control Center Version 10.3 - there was a later one, but it was not good.

When you click on the "graphics" button in the top left corner, there click on "3D" in the menue, then choose "All".

Now you should get everything there is.

Frame rate increased about 10% after these changes.

Thanks for the link to the Tweak Guide, but it seems slightly outdated and it doesn't explain for example the differences between the AA filter settings.

If you ATI guys want to write another updated one feel free and we can post it.

Hi

New settings CFS3 Config:

Aircraft: 5

Terrain: 4

Scenery: 3

Effects: 5

Clouds: 5

Game runs smooth and no graphical problems so far. :good:

Cheers

vonOben

Great, von Oben - I had thought, that you should be able to run it a bit higher than me.

Now the question is, if one should install the new ATI 10.9 driver - don't know what it brings.

Thanks for the link to the Tweak Guide, but it seems slightly outdated and it doesn't explain for example the differences between the AA filter settings.

vonOben

The AA settings can be confusing, especially when you consider the almost 40 possible menu choices for AA in Catalyst:

SMOOTHVISION HD Anti-Aliasing:

Box 2X (2X Samples), 4X (4X Samples), 8X (8X Samples)

Narrow Tent 2X (4X Samples), 4X (6X Samples), 8X (12X Samples)

Wide Tent 2X (6X Samples), 4X (8X Samples), 8X (16X Samples)

Edge Detect 4X (12X Samples), 8X (24X Samples)

Anti-Aliasing Mode:

Multi-sample Mode (Performance)

Adaptive Multi-sample Mode

Super-sample Mode (Quality)

There are a couple of brief articles that explain the differences: http://windows7forums.com/hardware/36340-ati-antialiasing.html or http://hardocp.com/article/2008/07/20/amds_ati_radeon_hd_4800_series_custom_filtering_aa

Generally speaking, if you're running at a high screen resolution, Box AA is usually enough, and requires the least horsepower.

But my personal choice is wide or narrow tent. These use post-processing shaders, so will reduce FPS somewhat, but the slightly blurry effect make Winder's landscapes look great. Edge Detect won't improve the look of landscapes, but will give planes sharp outlines without using a lot of resources.

Thanks for this explanation, BirdDog - I never knew, what these settings do.

I'll give "edge detect" a try. Although I think, I was quite happy with "box", and Winder's landscapes looked always great with that.

Thanks for the info BirdDog, much appreciated! :smile:

S!

vonOben