Sign in to follow this  
BurningDaylight

Thinking about buying but...

Yes, Creaghorn's tracers make it harder to know, if you hit.

As an ace who's gone through many aces' lives, you will of course be able to shoot down

unrealistic high numbers of enemy craft.

So Creaghorn and others have concentrated more and more on surviving the war, cause

that is the difficulty. As long as you fight rather careless (as I still do quite often), you can

make lots of kills and medals. But to make it through the whole war - well, no one here yet

made it (as far as I could see).

Me, I am growing up in that point. More and more do I rather think about bringing back my

wingmen, instead of making two more kills.

You may have to limit yourself a bit in that aspect, to enjoy some realism.

I'm a new member as well, but I was sold the minute I read that members of the original Red Baron team worked on this adaptation. I've flown just about every sim put out for the PC market since 1990, but Red Baron was the real pinnacle of immersing, career oriented flight simulations. I played Aces Over Europe, Aces Over the Pacific, and Red Baron 3D (not to mention absolutely loved Aces of the Deep as well). But even though every follow up was well done (with the exception of the known problems of Red Baron II which were not overcome until the 3D upgrade was released), none of them could touch the original.

I've been waiting patiently for a new WWI game that could do the same as Red Baron did for me twenty years ago. It looks like we finally have a winner, and I put in my order for it last week. Now I just have to wait patiently for that first CD to arrive so I can load it, then buy the add-on, and then get lost again in the cockpit of my Spad as I roam the front, getting my hiney handed to me repeatedly until I remember all those skills I've long since lost. :grin:

Until it arrives, I've reloaded the old Red Baron 3D game, with the latest patches and mods to run on modern systems, and I'm playing that for now so I can at least get back a tiny bit of those skills. And I'd forgotten how much of a pain it was to fly those damn old crates!!! Which is why I love it of course, it's a fantastic challenge to succeed in shooting anything down when your engine is underpowered for your airframe, your wings snap off if you dive too steep, and your machine gun jams constantly.

Please get here soon, CD!!!!!

... I played Aces Over Europe, Aces Over the Pacific ...

Sigh - yes, I played those too, and today, I wonder, how much my phantasy was able to wrap the whole immersive

stuff around those rather raw pics. Lol!

Welcome to Over Flanders Fields, TrollBreath, and let me assure you:

from what I read in your post, you have definitely found the one and only ABSOLUTELY right WW1 sim you could!

I see your town and state are named; so I'll add you to our OFF Forum Pilots maps

(see Sticky Threads above).

Definitely we have MUCH improved in graphics today. Since I'm playing RB3D right now, I can definitely tell you its VERY lacking in that department, which makes it harder to feel immersed in. But at least the flight models still feel solid.

Thanks for the warm welcomes! Definitely add me to the map, I'm just to the west of Baltimore, MD.

BurningDaylight, welcome to the OFF skies, and a big welcome also to TrollBreath. New lads buy the drinks!

Good to read that you've both gone ahead and made the purchase, you will not be disappointed.

Parky wrote:

Now I can comfortably get back to having my wings shot off without eager anticipation screwing up my concentration.

Hee, hee...eager anticipation is not what gets my wings shot off, I can assure you.

Now then, since we have two fine gentlemen with open bar tabs I believe I'll have a black-and-tan and three fingers of Tullamore Dew 12. You can divide the cost up twixt the two tabs however you wish.

:drinks:

Cheers!

Lou

Welcome BurningDaylight and Trollbreath... mines a whiskey thanks... better make it a double as I am not flying tomorrow... :drinks:

Seriously thought I loitered around the OFF forum and then caved in last October and boy is it impressive and immersive is not the right word... and considering the engine they used to power it I am amazed... every time I fly... or in my case I take off fly a bit dogfight with some albatrosses and watch as my plane is magically turned into a sieve and sent to the ground to walk back and get a new pilot and plane!!! I havn't even got out of 1916 yet... as to the newer planes in the game I took some up with a test pilot and they are outstanding too... Also there are some wonderful guys in here to help out... So again welcome...

For a score out of 5 I will give it a 6.5

Edited by Slartibartfast