Sign in to follow this  
Cobra427so

Built a new computer - need CFS3 / OFF setup help

Y'know, I thought about the monitor issue... and I found out at work, (I got it for free) that they had some problems with it. It's an off-brand too, (Envision) never heard of it before. It seems at some point, it was unresponsive and put aside in favor of a new monitor. I needed something to use while I set up the new system and so on the chance it worked, I bought it home and plugged it in. Win 7 recognizes it and it seems to function for other things, but maybe it has "issues". :blink: I'm still in the process of transferring files and installing software, so I won't get a chance to place the new PC in it's rightful place with it's real monitor (a 24" Acer) till Sunday. I'm really hoping that will be the cure.

Yes uncleal, I've been around awhile, :salute: but I've been off the radar. I still visit regularly and I have all the OFF stuff including HITR... I built this system with the hopes of improving my OFF experience - making it more enjoyable. I'm on the pilots map, that's me on the Gulfcoast of Florida near Tampa. Not sure why the board shows me as a new member, but that's no biggie. I appreciate everyone's input, and I'm sure I'll eventually get this thing squared away and flyable. I'll keep you all up to date.

Regards,

Cobra427so

This Windows 7 64bit is a funny duck when it comes to monitors. I stood there monitor installation CD in hand, for my 27" LG, I never had to use it.

I learned a long time ago . . "Never trouble, trouble. Till trouble, troubles you"

To each his own I guess. But in my way of thinking if manufacturer drivers for it's monitors weren't beneficial then why do they bother writing them in the first place.

Y'know, I thought about the monitor issue... and I found out at work, (I got it for free) that they had some problems with it. It's an off-brand too, (Envision) never heard of it before. It seems at some point, it was unresponsive and put aside in favor of a new monitor. I needed something to use while I set up the new system and so on the chance it worked, I bought it home and plugged it in. Win 7 recognizes it and it seems to function for other things, but maybe it has "issues". :blink: I'm still in the process of transferring files and installing software, so I won't get a chance to place the new PC in it's rightful place with it's real monitor (a 24" Acer) till Sunday. I'm really hoping that will be the cure.

Regards,

Cobra427so

Given the temporary monitor you're attempting to run OFF with "had some problems, was unresponsive, and put aside" methinks the solution to the display anomalies you're experiencing with OFF is right in front of you....so to speak.

:wink2:

Cobra, perhaps the resolution is still set wrong or even disabled. Please follow this guide:

Go to: "WORKSHOP" > "Graphics Config" > there click on "File" (top left corner) > "Change display options" and make sure you picked the right resolution there

Then leave that; and click on "File" again. Then "Change custom settings" (ignore pop-up warning)

There click on "Window" (top left corner); then on "Overrides"

Make sure, that the resolution of your screen is not disabled there. (You may disable the others though).

I have always got kicked out back to the briefing window, when my resolution had (for some miraculous reason) changed to 800 x 600 again.

I had to set it back in the Graphics Config (as described above), and then the sim would let me in. I hope it's this reason, and you can get it running.

Edited by Olham

Well, it's not the monitor - but I think I'm on the right trail... got a warning that "Kernel Mode Driver 260.63 has stopped functioning, but has restored itself". It's part of the video driver I have - the latest version which is brand new... and evidently, not perfected. I've done a little research and there are other reports of the same issues I'm having so I may need to backtrack to an earlier driver. Think I'll probably take it back to my computer guy and let him do it and test it, since it's all under warranty. I hate messing with video drivers, they're such a pain in the a$$.

Thanks for all your assistance guys, hope to be in the OFF skies soon.

Regards,

Cobra427so

Well, it's not the monitor - but I think I'm on the right trail... got a warning that "Kernel Mode Driver 260.63 has stopped functioning, but has restored itself". It's part of the video driver I have - the latest version which is brand new... and evidently, not perfected. I've done a little research and there are other reports of the same issues I'm having so I may need to backtrack to an earlier driver. Think I'll probably take it back to my computer guy and let him do it and test it, since it's all under warranty. I hate messing with video drivers, they're such a pain in the a$$.

Thanks for all your assistance guys, hope to be in the OFF skies soon.

Regards,

Cobra427so

The 260.63 driver is a beta, not a WHQL driver. Gotta' ask - if you're not familiar with or don't like or are uneasy with video driver removal and installation why the heck did you opt to install a beta driver? And just to mention, I've been running the 260.63 beta driver for a week or so and other than a few suspected related issues I've not run into the "Kernel Mode Driver" error. But I'm running older GTX 260 version GPU's.

And to your problem, I assume this Google search is what you're talking about - and note that it's with the 400 series GPU's as you have.

http://www.google.co...248f386b3c06fd8

Edited by Over50

Well I didn't build the unit by hand, if I did, I probably woulda gone with the drivers on the CD. For the sake of less hair pulling, swearing and loss of sleep, I selected the parts and spec'd the "dream" system to let my builder deal with it. After reviewing it with my him and making some minor changes for compatibility, he built it. He opted for the beta driver as being the latest and him not having any previous issues with it. So I'll take it back and he'll make it right - his customer service is exceptional.

From what I've read, that particular Kernel is Direct X related which would explain why IL-2 runs ok, (OpenGL) and anything running on Direct X fails. (Checked it out on a couple other games - same results).

I feel better that we at least have a direction to go in.

Thanks guys!

Cobra427so

From what I've read, that particular Kernel is Direct X related which would explain why IL-2 runs ok, (OpenGL) and anything running on Direct X fails. (Checked it out on a couple other games - same results).

I feel better that we at least have a direction to go in.

Thanks guys!

Cobra427so

It's been awhile since I went W7, but I recall that the W7 betas and upgrades had Dx10.0/1 while the retail versions of W7 had Dx11. It was noted that the earlier ran "some" Dx9 games and not others while Dx9 support was really borked by Dx11.

I think it was on the W7 IT forum that noted MS had redistributed the Dx9.C for this reason with support going all the way back to Dx7.

I'd install a non-beta video driver and then install the Dx9 Redistribution to correct the missing support files not found in Dx11.

I'd also follow Over50's advice about waiting for the new 260.X WHQL to be issued. The current beta is very buggy. The WHQL is also "said" to reinitialize Dx7 support without having to rename some of the .exe apps as is now the case running the beta. Those of us still flying FF5 or OF will be letting out a mighty cheer when that happens!

plug_nickel (Al)

The WHQL is also "said" to reinitialize Dx7 support without having to rename some of the .exe apps as is now the case running the beta. Those of us still flying FF5 or OF will be letting out a mighty cheer when that happens!

plug_nickel (Al)

I sure hope this could be the reason for my W7 problem with the Creative directx sound driver in my Nascar Racing 2002 game that turned it into a slide show on pause...and the only XP vintage game that I have that won't run with W7. Do you happen to have a link to where you read it?

I sure hope this could be the reason for my W7 problem with the Creative directx sound driver in my Nascar Racing 2002 game that turned it into a slide show on pause...and the only XP vintage game that I have that won't run with W7. Do you happen to have a link to where you read it?

"turned it into a slide show on pause"....hahahaha. Finally something slower than watching paint dry.

Windows7forum.com is where I first picked up the Dx insight. Do a search on directx.

I don't use a dedicated sound card anymore; Realtek has added enough ambiance to get by with. There have been all sorts of issues with Creative sound drivers and the game sound files with the progression of MS OS's that it just wasn't worth it to me to mess with sound cards anymore.

plug_nickel (Al)

"turned it into a slide show on pause"....hahahaha. Finally something slower than watching paint dry.

Windows7forum.com is where I first picked up the Dx insight. Do a search on directx.

I don't use a dedicated sound card anymore; Realtek has added enough ambiance to get by with. There have been all sorts of issues with Creative sound drivers and the game sound files with the progression of MS OS's that it just wasn't worth it to me to mess with sound cards anymore.

plug_nickel (Al)

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out. As for the quality of onboard sound today I tend to agree with you. But as much as I paid for my XtremeGamer Fata1ity Pro new (before the newer PCIx1 Titanium offerings) I just hated the thought of putting it out to pasture even with having to use the Creative Alchemy driver. And while acknowledging sound quality is a relative thing I could tell the difference between the Realtek onboard sound and my sound card. Or so it seemed.... :wink:

:clapping: WooHoo! :grin: My computer guy called, the rig is up and running CFS no problem! (He's having fun with it). It was a DOA (or at least sickly) video card. He replaced it and it's screaming along. He said he's got the graphics turned all the way up and it's smooth as silk! :yikes:

I'll pick it back up tomorrow. SOOO happy, I'll be flying OFF this weekend!

Thanks for all your advice!

Regards,

Cobra427so

:clapping: WooHoo! :grin: My computer guy called, the rig is up and running CFS no problem! (He's having fun with it). It was a DOA (or at least sickly) video card. He replaced it and it's screaming along. He said he's got the graphics turned all the way up and it's smooth as silk! :yikes:

I'll pick it back up tomorrow. SOOO happy, I'll be flying OFF this weekend!

Thanks for all your advice!

Regards,

Cobra427so

:drinks: That's great! And now let the tail spins begin!!

Congrats, Cobra!!!! You will have fun this weekend - even if it's going down burning!