Sign in to follow this  
ktickner6767

Started Using Windows 7 Today... where are the mod folders?

I Started Using Windows 7 Today... where are the mod folders??? I've been using XP now for almost 9 years and I finally decided to make the plunge and start using Windows 7. HELP ME! I'M LOST!....I'm desperately trying to find the mod folder locations in Windows 7. It is so totally different than XP. I'm not enjoying this change so far. Can someone please point me to a forum post regarding this issue? I've been searching all afternoon for topics in the forum with "Windows 7 mod folder locations" in the title without any success. I want my mods back please. Thank you for your help.

User/Saved Games/Thirdwire.

Like for me it's EricJ/Saved Games/Thirdwire/SF2E

User/Saved Games/Thirdwire.

Like for me it's EricJ/Saved Games/Thirdwire/SF2E

Thank you Eric! Now, how to make sure I'm getting a single install instead of a merged install? I want single installs but, the games are wanting to create merged installs by default in Windows 7. UGHG!

You should be able to override the default install folder. Just use a different folder for each install.

Unfortunately I can't help with merged installs as I only have SF2E...

Unfortunately I can't help with merged installs as I only have SF2E...

I realized shortly after asking the question I simply needed to create additional folders and name them as "Europe", "Israel", "Vietnam" and "Gold". Now everything appears to be working fine with my new Windows 7 installs. But, I still can't run unlimited graphics settings unfortunately. I'm experiencing terrible frames per seconds hits in all games except Strike Fighters 2 Europe. For some reason I can run Strike Fighters 2 Europe with unlimited graphics selected without a problem. But, the others bring the computer to a crawl.

Do you think it is the fact that I only have 2GB of system memory or is it the graphics card limits?

My new system is an AMD quad core processor, 2GB or system ram with an Nvidia GeForce 210 PCIe graphics card with 512MB RAM on the graphics card.

Surprised you can run anything on unlimited with that setup - and when you go on a campaign in SF2E with a lot of objects or add a third party terrain you will really slow down.

The GeForce 210 is probably the main issue here - its low end and wont cut it for SF2 - I did have a GT220 for about a week and it was poor even on medium settings. You will need to change the graphics setting until you get reasonable fps for now.

More RAM might be a good idea if you are running the 64bit version of Win 7 - I have 6GB RAM with an ATi HD5770 and Intel i7 - thats not enough to max out the settings with a lot of objects up at the same time.

Some interesting observations:

Windows 7 64-bit will always attempt to use 25% of the installed RAM at idle, irregardless of whether one has 2 GB or 16 GB of RAM installed.

32-bit applications (such as the SF2 series) have a 2048 MB allocation limit. That is, no more than 2048 mb (2 GB) will be allocated by Winows 7, irregradless of how much RAM one has on hand.

If you're stuck with using 2 GB of RAM, and you have a spare, USB 2.0 or better (256 mb and larger) thumb-drive laying around, try setting up Windows ready-boost on it. It will help with loading times, and speed up file swapping.

That is interesting - havent checked that myself.

The total (all programs) physical RAM usage sits around 3.2GB running SF2I in game when I check it.

Surprised you can run anything on unlimited with that setup - and when you go on a campaign in SF2E with a lot of objects or add a third party terrain you will really slow down.

The GeForce 210 is probably the main issue here - its low end and wont cut it for SF2.

Thanks guys! I'm going to run out and pick up an Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT card. I hope that will solve some problems.

Well, I chose the ATI Radeon HD 5670 instead of the Nvidia card. The ATI card was on sale for $74 after a $20 mail in rebate. What a world of difference! I can now choose the unlimited settings in the game with out a visible loss in frames per second. Thank you for the advice. The ATI card I chose has 1GB of DDR5 ram on board the GPU. WOW!!! The lighting effects are out of this world! I'm a very happy virtual pilot now. :clapping:

Edited by ktickner6767