Sign in to follow this  
wsmwsm

Unexplained CTD crashes

Below is a copy of a post I recently submitted at SOH. Thus far, despite suggestions, I have been unable to resolove this issue - unexplained CTDs when running any CFS3-based program including BHAH. The two things I need to emphasize is (1) this occurred a year ago and seemed to resolve by itself (I don't know why) and (2) BHAH, CFS3, ETO, etc. will run - extremely well - for short periods of time, then the problem begins. Nothing new was added to my computer before this happened - no hardware, no software. I am at wit's end.

Any help would be great.

Need Help. Struggling with unexplained CTDs

I experiened this problem last August and posted here but then the issued disappeared as suddenly as it had appeared. But it is back again with a vengeance.

After using CFS3 for years witout real difficulties, I get completely unexplained crashes to desktop when operating CFS3 and any of its offshoots - ETO, MAW, PTO, etc. They occur after operating the sim for a period of time, seemingingly without issues. Then, the time between crashes shortens incrementally until the point that it crashes at the user interface. After restarting, you get a reprieve, but it starts all over again once more.

For example, after operating CFS3 yesterday, without a hitch, today I had a crash almost immediately after hitting "fly". I've restarted again, so it's running now, but I know that won't last.

I have tried everything. Installing, reinstalling, clean booting, cleaning the CPU of dust, running the config file, deleting the uisels in each install multiple times, defragged, error checked, etc., etc.

Why this occured, then ceased, about a year ago is also a mystery. I've done nothing recently to the computer, such as add hardware. Again, it effects all installs of CFS3 sims when it happens and, after restarting, it takes a bit of time before the cycle starts over.

Below is my original post last year with the error information that I recevie when I choose "Details" upon restarting.

Help, please!
Although I've recently posted on this topic, I can't find an answer.

After years of running CFS3, ETO, MAW, etc., I've run into a serious problem with the sim. After starting and getting to the opening screen (or sometimes briefly into a flight), the game exits and I get the CFS3 needs to close message. I've done nothing to alter the game or add anything in a long time. It effects all CFS3 sims. I have no problems with any other applications.

When I click the "more details" option, the following info appears:

Problem event - APPCRASH

Application name - CFS3.exe

Appliction version - 3.1.0.3023

Application time stamp - 3e3ebe85

Fault Mod Name- CFS3.exe

Fault Mod Version - 3.1.0.3023

Fault Mod Time Stamp - 3e3ebe85

Exception Code - C0000005

Exeception Offset - 0119a27

OS Version - 6.0.6002.2.2.2.0.768.3

Local ID - 1033

Additional Information 1 - 8653

" " 2 - f3f9f71fd18d99979856a8df1581f9ac5

" " 3 - 7a7c

" " 4- 74b1cec4f5ffc930b2e51d56da898cfc

I've tried everything. Restarting the computer, running the config file, deleting the uisel. Nothing works.

Please, any help would be great.

Can someone please suggest an answer. I am at the point (again) of abandoning CFS3.

Have you tried uninstalling CFS3, cleaning the registry and then re-installing? It shouldn't have any effect on your addons AFAIK.

It sure sounds like heat. The game generates a lot of heat when it is running (excepting the menus of course). Adding a fan or two to you box may help a lot. There is a freeware program on the net called SpeedFan, that will tell you exactly what temps you are running and also allows you to turn up the speed of some of the fans. It has all sorts of options and you can use the charts option to see how much hotter the CPU and GPU get when running the game.

Beard

I also have the problem of intermittent, but continuing, CTD's when running the OFF campaign.

System specs are AMD X2 2.3 GHz 4500+ CPU with a NVidia 8600 video card.

I have found the only solution that reduces (but does not completely eliminate) the CTD problem is not to overclock the CPU and to slightly overclock the video card.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I am always amazed about the concern shown here and at SOH whenever anyone encounters an issue.

I doubt it is a heat issue. Nothing suggests that the CPU is overheating. For example, I've run CFS2 to the limit without an issue. I've also started the computer "cold", but had the crashes desribed in my post. I will pursue this further, but I think that the computer runs "cooly".

If it's a video card issue, I am at a loss. I wouldn't know how to change a card if my life depended on it. I am willing to upgrade, but I fear I will mess things up as soon as I open the CPU.

I do not believe it is a Vista issue per se. CFS3 and OFF, etc. have run remarkably well on Vista for the last three years or more. Better than on my prior XP install. Vista is blamed for too many things.

Edited by wsmwsm

You need to see just what is going on temperature wise, and not think "it's running cooly." You need to load test cpu, memory, gpu and log the temps using something like CPUID's HWmonitor. Depending how old your components are, the T.I.M. on cpu/gpu may have finally set and when that happens the result is thermal resistance. Heat transfer is just not as efficient as it was before. And when T.I.M. sets or starts to harden, STRANGE things start to happen.

Vdroop is another possibility, but that's best left for a "tech". Depending on the motherboard, you may have points on the board from which to meter the voltage, but it's not something to take lightly. It's better to check the components as best you can first.

Typhoon has taken care of the memory with memtest86. Stress the cpu by running Prime95 and the gpu with FurMark (FutureMark).

Setup a log with HWmonitor and record the temps as the tests are being conducted. By running these diagnostics, you should be able to produce hardware and/or heat issues and see just how well the components are working or at least point you in the right direction.

plug_nickel

When I opened the computer recently and looked inside, there was only one fan, which seemed to be working properly. I cleaned the inside - although there was virtually no dust - and now you can do surgery in there. What I suspect was the video card looked "clean", but I certainly wouldn't know whether it was dying of old age.

Almccoyjr: I read your post, but I am certainly not that computer savvy so I really didn't understand your recommendations.

Thanks again.

Edited by wsmwsm

Hmmmmm.....it occurs to me that this problem is more likely CFS3 specific, as the OP clearly indicates "I have no problems with any other applications". If any of those "other applications" are games, it stands to reason that they would also stress the system to the point of failure, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Doesn't hurt to run some additional stress tests or check for temperature issues, but frankly I'd be more inclined to look at the application itself. This wouldn't be the first time we've seen this kind of finicky behavior from CFS3 in general. I think CJ is on the right track with his advice, but if the OP is uncomfortable with the idea of even swapping out a graphics card, I'm not sure I'd recommend he go messing around in the registry. Might be wise for him to hook up with a computer-saavy chum and have them attempt a complete uninstall of all CFS3 related software including removal of any relevent registry entries. Carefully reinstall CFS3 all by itself as per the Vista-proprietary instructions in Pol's link. Test to see if the problem still exists with just CFS3 installed, and if the problem is solved, carefully reinstall each add-on independantly, testing each one for a reasonable period before proceeding any further.

You're right about the registry Parky. You don't want to go poking around in something you don't know . Could be dire consequences!

I know enough to know not to touch the registry. I did standard uninstalls/reinstalls of CFS3 (vanilla version), but that provided no help.

In my now many attempts/iterations of trying to fix this, I searched online - not only here and at SOH - but also seemingly endless numbers of general Microsoft/Windows/XP/Vista troubleshooting forums. Interestingly, I saw a couple of somewhat older posts in the general (non flight-sim) forums that raised the same problem. Unfortunately, no one provided a solution.

No matter how much I try to crash my other graphic-intensive applications they won't go down. Just CFS3 and its progeny. Go figure.

wsmwsm,

Parky and Almccoyjr are some of the best PC gurus on this site, and are offering good advice.

A standard uninstall of CFS3 will usually leave behind a lot of unwanted, invalid registry entries. I understand your reluctance to edit your registry, but there are some painless ways to do that. While I'm not a big fan of third party registry cleaners, I've had good luck with a free cleaner called CCleaner (aka "crap cleaner"). I've used it on some very buggered registries, and it does a nice job. Worth a look.

No doubt the advise is good. I am just reluctant to go in that direction for fear I will muck things up even worse.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I am always amazed about the concern shown here and at SOH whenever anyone encounters an issue.

I doubt it is a heat issue. Nothing suggests that the CPU is overheating. For example, I've run CFS2 to the limit without an issue. I've also started the computer "cold", but had the crashes desribed in my post. I will pursue this further, but I think that the computer runs "cooly".

If it's a video card issue, I am at a loss. I wouldn't know how to change a card if my life depended on it. I am willing to upgrade, but I fear I will mess things up as soon as I open the CPU.

I do not believe it is a Vista issue per se. CFS3 and OFF, etc. have run remarkably well on Vista for the last three years or more. Better than on my prior XP install. Vista is blamed for too many things.

Video Card: I learned to change mine by watching U Tube same for upgrading Mem and a few other goodies.:bye:

Here is something else you might try. Go to:

http://www.iobit.com/download.html#freesoftware

download and install "Advanced SystemCare Free" Then run it.

We have had some success with it in our shop.

AS Parky has already said it seems to be CFS3 specific, and I would try and purge the system of anything CFS3 related

Somebody has to say it, so it might as well be me: what are your system specs?

Is your system home-built or a Dell, etc? If a name brand, tell us which it is and how old it is.

Also, what CPU are you using, AMD or Intel? What model and speed? Does it have an after-market fan/cooler or is it the one that came with the computer?

What brand and model is your video card?

Who is the manufacturer of the motherboard? Again, give us the brand and model, if you know what it is.

Finally, brand of memory sticks and how many Gigs.

While you are at it, tell us the name and power rating of your power supply.

Any (or none) of the above information might prove helpful in discovering the source of your problems.