Sign in to follow this  
TaillyHo

Poised for 'the Scourge'

Greetings! New chap buying a round … :drinks:

I’m new to OFF, but very happy with my recent purchase, delivery and installation experience. Also impressed with the supportive and immersive character (not to mention, characters!) of this forum – it certainly adds some real-world ‘banter’ to the simulated action: A top show … with some capital fellows! :salute:

Brief flirtation with EAW back in the day, otherwise most of my sim-ing career has been behind a steering wheel rather than a joystick. This year with FS9 + Golden Wings mod, started reading up on early (civil) aviation history and clocked some virtual 1920s hours in ex-military DH.4, F2B + early passenger craft like Vimy Commercial and Handley-Page W8.

Now to the boom-crash opera that is OFF - with precious little ‘combat’ experience, but at least some familiarity with cross-country flying and (more usefully) successfully landing bi-planes of the era - I’ve joined the chaps at RFC 3, Chocques, summer of 1915 – on the eve of the ‘Fokker Scourge’. We’re equipped with the seemingly un-loved Bristol Scout (the one with the cock-eyed single Lewis) … poised (bravely/ foolishly?) to join battle with the forward-firing Eindekkers only a week or so away from introduction (1 June 1915 seeming their earliest assignments in OFF).

Some 14 hours up and slightly more vanilla recce missions (good for tweaking settings and generally learning to fly in OFF), Frank Clement has recently been promoted to 2nd Lieutenant and ‘led’ his first flight earlier this week. I’ll report back when there’s a little more air-action on the front.

ps. just ordered TrackIR, based on the consensus here that it’s a must have for OFF. :good:

cheers !

Welcome to the war Taillyho... old chap not flown the Bristol yet as I am trundling round in the Sopwith Strutter with RNAS 5 I seem to have been there for years. With flirtations with the Kraut stuff... As to the Fokker Scourge your in for a hectic time I can tell you.

Just worked out I have had OFF for just over a year now (Even with 5 months absence from the Virtual Skies and I still love the sound of the aircraft starting in the morning, if only someone could shut the dog up from barking as I am not a morning person and it wakes me up... :lol: )

All I will do is wish you the best of luck and this piece of advice... prepare your next pilot, I gave up counting how many I went through and I have been flying combat flight sims since 1985 or so (Yeah I am that old)...

Oh I forgot my drink order... well it was still morning and far too early... I will settle for a cup of Blue mountain coffee with a side drink of schnapps...

Edited by Slartibartfast

Welcome to OFF :yikes:

Tally-Ho indeed - especially as you're ex-EAW - I'm still hosting the 'Tally-Ho' web site for EAW :heat:

You're in good company here and doubtless you'll be looking forward to our next release for OFF (Phase 4). It's still work in progress but promises to take our sim to yet another level of immersion.

Enjoy :grin:

Edited by sandbagger

Hi Taillyho,

Welcome to the forum, and to the Front.

I've put in a little time with Bristol Scouts, and I can tell you that alhough you'll probably get a rough ride from the Fokkers - they're aggressive when faced with Entente scouts - you've got a better plane than them. The EIII is slower than you, less manouvrable and with a lower ceiling, so in a fight you'll just have to keep whirling round them as they lose height, and once they get low and have lost all formation, then you can give them what for. Well, it worked for me (ignoring the fact that I was shot down by an EIII!).

General advice - don't be afriad to run away a lot, and try to develop a sense of paranoid anxiety as quickly as possible: it might just keep your pilot alive....

Cheers,

Si

Welcome to the OFF skies TaillyHo. You'll have fun with that Bristol Scout, and I agree with Si's advice on fighting in the kite. You can use the iron sights, (which mimic leaning over the edge of the cockpit to line up behind the gun), or just watch the tracer rounds to zero in on your target. Be sure to stay above the EIII's, remember to use short bursts when firing, and conserve your wee bit of ammo.

As you have correctly pointed out that new guys buy the drink and since it is still quite early I believe I'll have a nice hot cup of strong coffee with a touch of cream and two fingers of Tullamore Dew thank you very much.

Cheers!

Lou

Welcome to OFF and the Forum, TallyHo!

"European Air War" - sigh - it was sooo great back then! You will love OFF, I can already see from your lines.

That you ordered TrackIR was a TOP decision - you will really be in the cockpit for the first time of all your simming!

It may take a while to get used to it, but now, if I check my six and see my own tailplane and rudder by slightly turning

my head left or right, is SOOO phantastic!

If I hadn't given up on any alcohol, I would have an Isley Single Malt, but if you can get me well good brewed coffee...

Please send me a PM with your town & country/state - I want to add you to our OFF Forum Pilots maps.

Edited by Olham

Thanks for the welcome, lads - nice cheap round for me so far! :bye:

A naval squad with the Strutter was a very attractive option, Slarti. But figured if I didn't start with the Scout's quirky perspective, I'd not choose to fly it after experiencing more conventionally 'aim-able' craft. That & the fact I can get some quiet time (to make a few rookie mistakes) in 1915.

Thanks for tips, Si & Lou - I've run a few QC scraps against the E.III now in anticipation (even tho QC feels a bit staged compared with 'campaign'). First couple were certainly "quick" with next to no "combat" LOL, but now I can get the better of 'veteran' opponents by out-turning once they've got down to the roof/ tree tops (so long as I don't get too keen & stall it when there's no altitude to recover in - crash!)

As to preparing the inevitable 'next pilot', joining Bullethead in the 'Fee' might be another 'unique' plane experience best tasted on a relatively empty stomach (!) But I'm quite keen to build a rounded experience of the war - so I'll be looking for an early entry into the Kaiser's service too (hello Olham - will PM my whereabouts shortly). Nearly 2 years after its release, I've got a whole lotta catching up to do with OFF3 (not to mention HiTR) before I'll be getting impatient for OFF4.

cheers/ prost :drinks:

TaillyHo: ...so I'll be looking for an early entry into the Kaiser's service too...

Well, if you chose the Bristol Scout on British side, you are surely bound for the Fokker Eindecker E.III -

which isn't too bad, once you can handle it. But if I should recommend you the earliest German OFF fighter

to really enjoy - I'd pick the Halberstadt. Still a single-gun fighter, it can turn and climb well enough to even

fight Nieuports in it. The Albatros D.I or D.II will feel incredible after that!

TaillyHo: ...so I'll be looking for an early entry into the Kaiser's service too...

Well, if you chose the Bristol Scout on British side, you are surely bound for the Fokker Eindecker E.III -

which isn't too bad, once you can handle it. But if I should recommend you the earliest German OFF fighter

to really enjoy - I'd pick the Halberstadt. Still a single-gun fighter, it can turn and climb well enough to even

fight Nieuports in it. The Albatros D.I or D.II will feel incredible after that!

Yes, Olham - already have the Halberstadt in mind - and judging from your older posts, Jasta 3 or 4 are "good" (rated) squads to start with from August 1916. :good:

TaillyHo: ...judging from your older posts, Jasta 3 or 4 are "good" (rated) squads to start with from August 1916

Jasta 1 and Jasta 2, Bertincourt (Elite units), get the Halberstadt 22 August / 1 September 1916;

Jasta 4, Roupy, (Morale: Good); on 25 August 1916;

the great thing about the "Pilot Enlistment" Menue is, that you can click through the Jasta, the times of enlistment

AND see, where they would be based by then. So you are provided with a lot of choice - even, which landscape

you would most like to fly in. By the North Sea? In the Marne area? Around Verdun? Over the beautiful Alsace?

It's all there!

Thanks all for the warm welcome and helpful tips. :salute:

Yes, uncleal, I'll stick with the Scout for starters - kinda payin my dues as a new OFF/WWI pilot. Yes, I can shoot down Einies in QC with this plane, so just hoping I can translate this into the 'real world' pressure of campaign mode ... and that I don't end up looking like camel jockey's avatar! :grin:

And thanks, Olham for the directions re: pilot enlistment info. I am conscious of Bullethead's much earlier advice on avoiding poor and elite squads and chosing locations based on historical action (rather than how pretty the scenery is!). On the scenery aspect, I was going to ask in response to your post a couple of weeks back on flying using a paper map, what sort of altitude were you flying at to best see the roads and rivers you were following?

cheers / prost :drinks:

Cameljockey's avatar has the "Chamelion Eyes" - very useful for WW1 flyers, as they can check

two directions at the same time!

Be aware, that Elite Jasta members may steal kills of you - but on the other hand, they are the best wingmen to fly with!

I feel nowhere safer than in Jasta 2 or Jasta 11.

As for flying after maps, RAF_Louvert is the better expert. I have only done ca. 5 sorties.

I was flying at 6.000 - 9.000 feet, but it isn't always easy to follow rivers or roads, and they are not always correct.

As my map, I use excerpts from RAF_Louverts Western Front map (see downloads).

You may as well try mine, which was glued together from RABU's maps, and I put all airfield names into it.

(Also see download section.)

Just a quick update to say June (1915) has arrived for my rookie Bristol Scout pilot - and the scourge has begun. (now) Lieut. Frank Clement engaged his flight of 3 Scouts against 2 Einies on the return leg of a long-ish recce mission on 1 June. Both enemy aircraft were destroyed (looks like 1 from AA fire), and the 3 Scouts returned to their home field. Clement has a claim pending for one of them. 24 hours now logged, but enemy aircraft sighted on all 3 outings since 1 June - things warming up here in summer 1915!

BTW, can anyone tell me what it means if another aircraft showing as a white square on the TAC suddenly turns to black? I wondered if it was signifying that it had taken damage (?), but I wasn't able to investigate to find out.

Thanks Olham for your reply re: map flying. I'd also like to buy Homeboy a drink to say thanks for his nvidia settings info - I've applied this wisdom and am very happy with the results. :drinks:

Hi TaillyHo, let me extend a warm welcome too. I'll have a double Midleton (that'll tax your wallet a bit :grin: ) IIRC, a black dot is an aircraft that is 'dead' as far as the sim is concerned but that is still in the air.

Yes, it can be in the air, or it has made an emergency landing - but mostly they blow up after short time.

Sometimes you may find a black dot enemy or own craft, still looking intact, standing in the landscape.

And Homeboy really did come up with some good stuff - sadly I haven't seen him here since a long time.

Ah Dej - the arrival of the serious drinkers! Good to meet you, too. :drinks:

Thanks to you and Olham for explaining the white to black squares on TAC. It did seem to fly on despite turning black, so I presumed wounded rather than 'dead'. It was one of two Einies flying well below and diagonally across our path. This was on the very next mission after I'd survived my first scrap. I was tempted to turn and dive, but it was on the outward leg and I elected to be patient. Just as they were getting towards the edge of my TAC view, one turned black (now that's what I call going over to the dark side!) :lol:

On the hunch that this might signal a problem, I was once again tempted to chase them down and pick a fight - but I didn't know what it signified, so again opted to stick to my script.

They won't be so lucky next time ...

The key thing about black-dotted aircraft is that you'll not get a credit for destroying one... it's already 'dead'. Unfortunately they can't be filtered out as far as I'm aware. But once you get Track IR you'll not be using the TAC anyhow.

It's a shame more people haven't tried the Bristol Scout. I think she's a lovely machine. The cock-eyed Lewis actualy works quite well if you use the 'watch where the bullets go' approach rather than the sight. Although if Creaghorn's mods are installed that won't work. But, it's unpopularity is probably because there's little action that early on owing to a paucity of German two-seaters to emulate Lanoe Hawker with.

If you're going to try the Fee do read BH's guide to flying the beast in the Primers sticky.

Agree, Dej - thinking about this more, it does argue against having the TAC 'on' even when not actually engaging EA, because it's information you wouldn't have in reality (unless you were close enough to see the EA take damage - presumably from ground fire) - and therefore should avoid utilising in a true 'simulation'. My temptation was less about 'bagging' the black plane as it was knowing the numerical odds were about to double in my flights' favour.

On the Scout - yes it is well-behaved and nice to fly ... and can certainly out-turn the E.III. On paper, it should climb better and fly a smidge faster too - so you get the 'run-away' option as a bonus (handy for a newbie!!). :grin:

My 'lucky' pilot (with 1 confirmed 'kill' and 26 hours up) hit the ground in his latest mission, after a violent mid-air collision seemed to slice the little Bristol in two. I red-ed out and thought I was dead - immediately feeling shocked and deflated at my virtual demise (perhaps a sensation I shall get used to?!?) ... but happily, 14 days in hospital and it looks like I'm back in the saddle! Better yet - I got to put in a claim for my less fortunate 'dancing partner'!

Even if I get the claim, I don't wish to employ that particular combat strategy again! Hopefully TrackIR will help ... now I just have to survive til it arrives. :blink:

Might I suggest hiding out in the pub until your package arrives in the post TaillyHo.

TaillyHo, the "total thrill" is to have all aids switched off. No Labels, no TAC, no Advisory messages - just you and your noisy craft and your wingmen.

The disadvantages are obvious: no warnings nor "radar" will help you - if you are attacked in a clever way, you may be finished, before you even know.

The advantages: the feeling of really being there, in the air, over the landscape.

I try to fly after paper maps now; I made excerpts from RAF_Louvert's fine Western Front map (downloads) for the regions

my various pilots fly in, and draw in the locations of the airfields, You can fly after rivers, and some roads and railways.

Where it doesn't work well, I still check the inflight map for short. It's a thrilling feeling.

I must admit though, that I never made it very long yet - that would need wingmen, who signal you a danger, when you are

just reading the map.

Flying by map is perhaps one of the most singularly immersive additions you can make to OFF, IMHO. As Olham has pointed out, you can begin with a clean map of your AO, then make your first few missions a "Cook's Tour" of your sector. Mark in airfields, (if they are not already on the map you are using), note locations of oddly shaped woods, lakes, unusual bends in rivers, anything you can use as a landmark really. After a very short time of flying over the same piece of ground you will be surprised how quickly you can navigate without the map at all. My "paper" map is actually a second computer and monitor to the port side of my flying rig, and I have the map pulled up there and I draw in my route, waypoints, target, etc before the mission. I can then make notes of air battles and crashes and such as things progress and are fresh in my mind, (or as soon as I am free of danger and can jot them down). Flying by map and compass really takes this sim into a whole new dimension. I will never go back to the in-sim map with the icon to show me where I am, it's much too much fun getting lost and sorting out where over God's Green Earth I might be.

Here is a generic example of one of my mission maps at take off, flying from Ensisheim to Nancy and back:

OFF_Paul_Blum_Mission_Map_General.jpg

If you've never tried it you really should give it a go. Just ask Olham. :smile:

BTW, for those who haven't seen it, (and because I am rather proud of the set-up), here is my flying room showing the second monitor for my map:

OFF_Old_School_Throttle_2.jpg

Cheers!

Lou

Was this map also among your download stuff, Lou?

I must check again. Cause for my Jasta 32 pilot has to make the transfer from Mörchingen (today: Morhange)

over to La Folie Ferme (which I still need to locate exactly). And I'd love to fly it after this map.

PS: only now, I saw your "cockpit", Lou, and I frankly say to you - before you say it yourself again - you are quite mad, Sir.

Mad in a way some others here, and definitely myself. Not meant as an insult, but maybe a compliment.

You really honour those pilots of the old days your way, and I imgainge them

sitting on their clouds, pushing their elbows in each others ribs, saying:

"Look at this, boys! We are not at all forgotten - Holy Schnickee!"

Edited by Olham

Many thanks Olham, I take being "mad" in this way as a true compliment. To share such madness with the likes of you and others here places me in very good company.

As to the map: When I fly in the Alsace-Vosges region I use the wonderful maps made available by Waldemar Kurtz in the OFF Downloads section. They are excellent, however you will have to make note of the airfields yourself.