Sign in to follow this  
Javito1986

Bringing down enemy aircraft

If you look at, for example, any of Hellshade's numerous youtube videos he's VERY good at bringing down enemies in just a few bursts. Sometimes even one burst. The enemy smokes, flames, loses a wing, etc. It's very impressive!

I've been trying to replicate it in my own campaign and find myself quite lacking. I can dump several hundred rounds into one Albatros and he'll still be flying, albeit very very damaged and unable to maneuver. Just this last sortie I shot up a D.III so bad he started leaking some fluid but refused to go down, the last I saw of him he was beelining for the German side of the line! I try to aim towards the engine compartment/pilot but it's supremely difficult. Any tips?

Javito: I can dump several hundred rounds into one Albatros and he'll still be flying

"Ja, der Albatros! My unbreakable bird! Mmuahahahahaaaaa!!!!"

Javito, go to "Workshops" and check "Main guns" - should be at "Normal", or if you want to kill something even better, set it to "Accurate".

Then the rounds won't spread so much. ("Normal" should be more realistic though, perhaps even "Less accurate").

Also, you may have seen, that Hellshade always almost creeps into his enemy's cockpit. (I always wonder, why he doesn't collide more often).

You have to get real close to do some severe damage. When you hear the pilot scream, like in one of Hellshade's videos, you know you got

him wounded or even killed.

Edited by Olham

Olham and Uncleal both have it correct. The closer you are to your enemy, the more damage you will do. And as Uncleal says, aim for the cockpit or the engine "meat or metal" for maximum effect most times, although some planes do have weak wings that seem to come off more easily then others.

I made a little Air to Air Tactics video if you'd care to see my strategies explained while in action. My guns are set to Less Accurate, normal strength which is another reason why I like to be so close I can almost see the color or my opponents eyes before I shoot. My saying is "If the enemy plane is so close he takes up 100% of your forward view, you can be sure 100% of your bullets will hit. Then it just becomes a matter of knowing exactly when to pull away so you don't ram the fellow."

Air to Air Tactics (9:15) - 1080 HD

Hellshade

I'm flying with player guns set to 'normal' and main guns set to 'less accurate'. I figured it would be more realistic that way, which is the way I like to play anyway. So far in my 'Major Anders' campaign it's already August (started in June) and I only have 2 confirmed kills. Which is fine, I wouldn't find it overly realistic to be an unstoppable ace or anything, but it would be nice to set fire to a Hun once in a while!

P.S. Hellshade I'm always amazed you don't collide into your targets. I'm absolutely petrified of getting in -that- close to the enemy for fear of dying in a crash.

Edited by Javito1986

Javito: So far in my 'Major Anders' campaign it's already August (started in June) and I only have

2 confirmed kills. Which is fine, I wouldn't find it overly realistic to be an unstoppable ace or anything.

It is all perfectly fine indeed - you may be just a much more realistic flyer than I am.

I still take too many risks, mainly of collision. The real aces didn't grow their kill tallies faster than you.

Keep up the good work.

While we're on the subject of gun accuracy, what do you guys think is the most realistic setting for ground fire? I have it set to 'normal' and I kinda like it that way because it makes me worry about flak some. Have been hit by it two or three times in OFF (at high altitudes) and just this morning one of my wingmen was hit and killed by flak as we passed through a cloud. But is it too accurate this way? Sometimes I think it might be -too- accurate. I've thought about changing it to the low setting but at the same time I don't want to make flak unrealistically useless like it was in RB3D. Back then I -completely- ignored flak, it was basically just a pretty light show.

Edited by Javito1986

Well, Siggi and some other creators of "Full DiD Flying" came to the conclusion, that the Flak should be

set to "Easy ground gunnery", because Flak in WW1 wasn't yet very effectively. We fly it on that setting now.

In Julius Buckler's report about his two-seater time, he wrote that they were flying forth and back for their

aerial photography without giving much of a damn about the French Flak.

Edited by Olham

"Just this last sortie I shot up a D.III so bad he started leaking some fluid but refused to go down"

Probably poo. I know the feeling...

"While we're on the subject of gun accuracy, what do you guys think is the most realistic setting for ground fire?"

My opinion is that archie shouldn't be a major issue to you unless you fly at lower altitudes, lower speeds and in straighter lines - in other words, if you're in a two seater. I've not mucked around with the default settings, and I find them pretty much OK - I suspect that for HitR, it was all toned down a touch, although having not flown in 1918 to any great extent, there maybe others who would disagree violently that the archie is accurate. I don't really know, and nobody here can, since we don't have enough evidence before us. All I can say is that if archie brought down that many planes, it would have been a talking point, so I'm guessing that it was simply an irritation for most fliers except those on recon/spotting.

Not quite right, UncleAl - I have ground gunnery on "Easy", but I get Flak, definitely.

They are only less precise, and maybe less dense also.

I've decided to keep it on normal. There's a strong element of danger/panic I feel every time I'm over the Hun lines with gunnery accuracy on normal that I lose when it's set to easy. It makes me feel the way about airfield attacks/balloon busting the way I know I should feel... i.e. terrified. Honestly I'd rather get attacked by a squadron of D.VIIs than go balloon busting again! It's a very apprehensive sensation diving with your squadron and having flak bursts all around you and MG fire arcing across your path. And I -know- that I can get hit if I get careless and fly in a perfectly straight line. Keeps things interesting when you're on the other side of the line!

Can friendly flak hurt you? Just a few moments ago I was chasing down a Dr.I on the USA side of the line and a big flak burst impacted in front of me, close enough that I could quite clearly distinguish the explosion animation. Bit too close for comfort...

Can Friendly FLAK hurt you . . .? Good Question . . I wouldn't want to find out. I flew through a Green Cloud of Clorine Gas rolling across NML . . .NO effect there . . to me or my aircraft

You can do that?? I've never seen gas clouds in this sim!

I'd sure love to see a tank assault. Maybe you'll see one if you hang around the Amiens battlefield enough in 1918? Lots of tanks were there.

Another question: Regional Air Activity. What's the most 'realistic' setting for, say, late 1918? Currently I alternate between the three settings depending on my mood. I just set it to Heavy and ended up having a 20+ aircraft dogfight but that kind of thing isn't healthy for my pilot's long-term health so maybe I should go back to Light...

Where can I see more of Hellshade's videos? They seem really interesting and useful.

Click on his name on any of his youtube videos, you can find a full list of everything he's uploaded there

UncleAl: Have YOU ever been hit by Flak on EASY, or is it only part of the view ?

That's a good question that makes me wonder, UncleAl. Now that you say it - no, I think I was never hit on that setting.

Stratos, in the sticky thread "Screenshots and Videos" above, you can see them all.

Edited by Olham

Javito, I also agree with the advice given here by the aces Olham, Uncleal, Hellshade, and Si. I try to get in very close as well to make sure each shot counts, but I've yet to claim the results Hellshade so aptly demonstrates in his fine videos. He has the knack.

My advice misguided as it is... is if you are think you are close enough to shoot get closer then get closer still and then get even closer then let loose.. Also there is one trick that someone posted and I apologise for I forgot who it was and that is to not use the trigger on the Joystick but use the spacebar to fire your guns... I find it very effective as it means if you jerk the trigger you dont pull the plane out of line with your target... all I will say now is good luck in your hunting...

Gently squeeze the trigger. Don't jerk it. It's not your...:rolleyes:

"Javito, I also agree with the advice given here by the aces Olham, Uncleal, Hellshade, and Si."

Take that back! I am not an ace and never will be! I simply tidy up after neglectful Huns decide that a BE2d can't harm them. Oh yes we can...

Seriously, I'm a terrible pilot, an even worse shot and a complete chicken. My scout careers are characterised by their sheer brevity.

Javito, although I haven't read the rules myself yet, I think that British_Eh, Bletchley and others have

researched reality settings for the various different times in the war.

Have a look at the "Survival in the Air" thread above.

I'm sure they have found a realistic setting for this - they have researched lots of books and stuff.

On the subject of flak accuracy I remember reading a WW1 RFC pilots autobiography years ago (it was of a Camel pilot) but he stated in it several times that even in 1918 German flak accuracy was 'laughable'. I will try to dig out the actual book in question.