Sign in to follow this  
TaillyHo

'Mission Review' report

How many of you use the campaign 'Mission Review' (or 'last mission summary' or whatever it's called)? I've seen one attached as a screenshot from Bullethead, but I wonder how many others use this - and what for?

Seems a bit frustrating that you can only access this 'play-by-play' review after you've put in your claim form - it's almost a lie-detector test to see where you erred in whatever detail you just put in your claim. :grin:

Seeing a record of how many bursts you fired, and how many of those hit the EA is helpful - more so, seeing the actual distance you were from the EA you hit is excellent feedback if you're working on positioning yourself nice and close when attacking.

Also, in bigger battles, it helps make sense of what happened in terms of who hit who (and who downed who). Although the identification numbers assigned to individual aircrafts is a bit quirky in that it's used to log hits, but not used to identify the individual aircraft when it gets destroyed. So you can only assume the identity because that number doesn't appear again in the following logged action!

Of course, this summary also states which EA were destroyed by you - but it seems this immediate 'confirmation' doesn't necessarily tally with the claims you eventaully get officially confirmed (!?) :dntknw:

Be interested to hear from anyone who's made more sense - or use - of this feature.

Cheerio!

I use it quite a bit, primarily because I fly using paper maps. After some missions I am curious to see where the heck I actually flew, especially if I got lost at some point.

I use it quite a bit, primarily because I fly using paper maps. After some missions I am curious to see where the heck I actually flew, especially if I got lost at some point.

There's maps? :dntknw:

What do I need maps for? If I see enemy airplanes, I'm exactly where I need to be. :rofl:

Hellshade

I've found it to be as you describe and must admit I hardly use it.

That said, I did find it useful just recently. My newest ace was flying a mission at an altitude of 8,000 feet when his Fokker suddenly exploded. I was stunned. Apparently my pilot had received a direct hit by AA fire at this height! :blink:

Watching the replay confirmed that my craft and pilot were instantly rendered "unusable". At least he felt no pain.

Ratatat

I've found it to be as you describe and must admit I hardly use it.

That said, I did find it useful just recently. My newest ace was flying a mission at an altitude of 8,000 feet when his Fokker suddenly exploded. I was stunned. Apparently my pilot had received a direct hit by AA fire at this height! :blink:

Watching the replay confirmed that my craft and pilot were instantly rendered "unusable". At least he felt no pain.

Tuff way to go, Ratatat. What setting do you have your ground gunnery on? After reading a lot of views here, I've got mine on 'easy' as the consensus seems to be this would most accurately reflect the reality for 1915-16 (when I'm currently flying) ... but, as uncleal suggests above, this should probably be cranked-up for 1917-18.

HARD you must have a "Death Wish" as everybody in the valley has only one goal in life. . .. . . . . . . . . to end your's . That includes all the soldiers . . even the infantry

I know this feeling so well... I must have a death wish or failing that I love the challenge...

Late 1917 - 1918 you should probably be up on normal for ground gunnery. The exception is balloon busting, I put it on hard for those. Flak and ground fire are the biggest fear on balloon busting missions... gulp...

In general on normal diff you'll be just fine 99.999% of the time doing subtle changes in your vector and altitude every 20 - 30 seconds while flak's shooting at you. If you fly perfectly level thinking you can ignore it you WILL get hit and blown to bits sooner or later!

It was 1918 so I had the settings on Normal. I guess I had it coming really.

The irony of it all was as follows:

I was racing towards a fight in front and above me. Before I could get there the last enemy plane was hit and lost part of his lower wing. He was mercilessly hit again and his plane caught fire. I saw the pilot of the burning plane jump out at about 10,000 feet. While I had seen this event occur before, the horror of it suddenly struck me as I watched the pilot uncurl from a ball and spread his arms and legs helplessly against the sky. "Good God!" I thought as I grimly contemplated his long, long fall to earth. "The poor basta.."

That's when I was suddenly blown to smithereens. I had been flying in a straight line while transfixed by the fate of the enemy airman. At least my end was quicker than his!

Sometimes, when I had one of those fights, were I remained the only pilot from my flight,

and where I have peppered several surrounding enemy craft, I open the "Review" to see,

what happened in the furball, and how many I really got down.

Just for the curiosity. In my claims, I only write down, what I KNOW myself I have downed.

The most fascinating thing about the "Review" is, that you can see, how many more action

there must have been very close to your own position.

:grin: I use the review . It works out to about every 3rd time or so. I like the way it shows everything else going on at time.:salute:

Regarding AA settings, I recall the developers mentioning way back that the easy setting uses older 'semi-broken' parameters for AA from earlier phases of the game. I recall, therefore, that flak bursts on 'easy' are rather randomly aimed and you can't very well spot enemy and friendly planes by looking for the telltale flak. I don't use the 'easy' setting so maybe somneone who does can confirm if this is still the case, as my memory is not necessarily to be trusted.

On Medium and heavy settings, you definately can spot planes by looking for flak bursts. Very useful if you are flying full-realism and not using cheats (oops, I mean visual aids:grin: ) like the TAC.