Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

Bad Memory eraser pill(Would you do it?)

Scientist have developed a pill to remove a bad memory. They developed a pill that eliminates the proteins that cause bad memories. They hope to help those that are constantly tormented by horrible events i.e a solider suffering from Post Tramatic Stress after seeing the horrors of war could take this pill and forget what he saw.Here's the info.

Crazy isn't it?

Crazy doesn't cover it... our experiences in life make us who we are...

Exactly. I could on all day why we should keep our memories both good and bad. However I will say this though( I've talked about this work with some friends) if you never had a bad memory or a bad day then how can you enjoy the good memories and the good days? Society as whole would be emtionless...the movie Equilibrium comes to mind where the people have no emotion.

equilibrium.jpg

Good point. Yeah in about fifteen years people will be able to buy those friggin things off Amazon.

I have no problem with it as long as it's voluntary and the person in question is fully briefed on the consequences.

Besides, it sounds like it's a LONG way off, and the testing methodology seemed to me to be VERY preliminary.

FC

What's he going to do? Show me where I turned left when I should have turned right? Damn it, Bones, you're a doctor. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with a wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves. I don't want my pain taken away! I need my pain!

There is a book called the Giver. Its a really powerful story and touches on this very subject and why its important not to erase memories both good and bad.