Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Imagine fighting in this!

Fine...til you sink in the Mud!

Looking at the guy on the right..I assume his moustache was what attracted attention from the German Machine Gun?! :lol:

That'll be where Star Wars got the idea from then I suppose, those three probably just got back from fighting the Battle of Hoth:

General_veers.jpg

i don't know why but the first pic reminds me of something from Gumby!

Just goes to show the mentality at the time...Most of the Generals probably thought, you could pop on a Breastplate...pull your visor down, and charge with a Warhorse and Sabre.....well, the Machine Gun sure put an end to Chivalry in much the same way as the Crossbow did in Medieval times.

After all...any twat can fire a machine gun

Are those Pre-WWI?

they surely look like some XVIII Century old fashion armor.

was that really effective ? today i think one 5,56 or a 7,62 bullet can rip of this like paper, not sure in WWI and pre WWI times.

I think they were certainly WW1 rather than pre-WW1

I seem to connect the wearing of armour like this with attempts at planting explosive charges under the enemy's wire to blow gaps in it - only thing is I can't remember why I make this connection!

Just goes to show the mentality at the time...Most of the Generals probably thought, you could pop on a Breastplate...pull your visor down, and charge with a Warhorse and Sabre.....well, the Machine Gun sure put an end to Chivalry in much the same way as the Crossbow did in Medieval times.

After all...any twat can fire a machine gun

UKW,

Don't forget the longbow, that was even deadlier in trained hands i.e. most of the english archers.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

that must hurt...

m

post-46959-056870700%201291841921.jpgpost-46959-019840700%201291841923.jpgpost-46959-093183600%201291841924.jpg

Couldn't help thinking about Ned Kelly - Australian colonial bushranger (outlaw) who was active around the mid-late 19th century in NSW and Victoria (2 states in Australia).

Oops!!

Couldn't help thinking about Ned Kelly - Australian colonial bushranger (outlaw) who was active around the mid-late 19th century in NSW and Victoria (2 states in Australia).

post-46959-078308900 1291842297.jpg

post-46959-022441700 1291842299.jpg

post-46959-093002600 1291842300.jpg

G'day Wallaroo - was just reading down this post thinking I should find a pic of Ned Kelly to add!

Bonza job, Mate! :good:

UKW,

Don't forget the longbow, that was even deadlier in trained hands i.e. most of the english archers.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Indeed Rugbyfan, But the point I was trying to make was that a Crossbow (like an MG) takes very little training, unlike those amazing guys at Agincourt, who required years to attain the proficiency needed to whop French ass! :good:

I've seen some pics of these experimental WW1 armours before. They tried many things during the Great War, including these Star Wars plates. They were too cumbersome and not good enough to protect from all bullets, shrapnel and shell and bomb fragments. :cool: