Sign in to follow this  
Stingray72

a funny ATC funny

I was looking for a funny F-4 quote for the suspect ugly plane thread I didn't start but did at the same time, and found this......

"Another time, we were about fourth in a long queue waiting to take off in our larger Boeing aircraft. The JFK ATC allowed a B737 on a local flight to take a short-cut and start his takeoff run by joining the main runway from a taxiway causing us to wait for him to take off and clear. "How do you like them apples?" he said on local VHF as he started his takeoff run. Boeing aircraft had a warning horn for major problems that you can test. Half-way along the B737's takeoff run, 'someone' held their cockpit mike to the horn and pressed it as they tested it. The B737 abruptly stopped takeoff with full reverse and full braking and shuddered to a halt, tires (tyres) smoking. A few seconds later we heard a voice on our VHF: "How do you like them apples?.."

I've seen a few of these funny stories, but this one takes the cake so far away form the party it had to be canceled..... :drinks:

~Stingray

Actually, that's not funny.

You don't screw with an aircraft on takeoff roll...period. It is one of the most dangerous parts of any flight, because the power settings are high, altitude and speed are slow, and conditions are changing every second. The crew's workload is high, and they're on a hair trigger for emergency procedures. This is why the majority of any EP's we practice and train for happen in the takeoff phase.

It was unprofessional for the B737 crew to taunt the waiting aircraft. It was STUPID for one of the waiting aircraft to cause these guys to do a high speed abort. Imagine the consequences had the high speed abort gone badly..."How you do like them apples" indeed.

Hey, banter while on the ground during taxi, or at cruise, sure, it happens, no big deal. Unacceptable during takeoff or landing.

FC

^ What he said.

Seriousness aside, I'll be the 737 was a Southwest. I've had them take an intersection departure a couple times just to cut the line, usually it ends up being more efficient anyway.

I would imagine (if true) the person responsible for such a stupid Practical Joke would no doubt be in very serious trouble for pulling a stunt like that

I would imagine the FAA(Friendly Aviation Authority) also had something to say "about them apples".

They frown on such behavior(joking on radio),no matter what phase of flight.

I'm surprised they all didn't have to return to terminal.

If you've ever had to abort a take-off for real,it is one of the hairiest and scariest times of flying. You are in "take-off" mode(train of thought) and all of a sudden everything screams "STOP!!". :yikes:

Stingray, who and where did you hear this from? I cry BS on this. I doubt this even happened or it would have been broadcasted big time on the news; and like FC said, you don't mess with an aircraft on takeoff roll... every pilot knows that. The last thing I would expect from any pilot or air crew member in the cockpit is to pull a very stupid and highly illegal stunt like that with another aircraft. It just won't happen unless someone really wants to go to jail, lose their job, and have their license revoked permanently. Common sense is mandatory in this careerfield and if someone doesn't have it, then they won't fly. I will believe that the aircraft that took the short cut made that first comment. What I think happened is the aircraft on the receiving end thought about what would happen if they were to do that stupid stunt, and how it could be funny in THEIR little world. I really think it's one of those BS stories that some folks like to say to make themselve look special in a party. Again, I'm calling fiction on this one.

Edited by serverandenforcer