Sign in to follow this  
liamp51

Will I get a performance increase with Windows Seven and DX10?

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered, but I have to go to bed and can't look right now! :no: I just got Windows Seven Pro 64bit for Christmas and am going to be installing it over my current Windows XP Pro 64bit OS. I was wondering if I'll get a noticeable increase in performance using DX10 or 11 with Win 7 Pro, since SF2 was built for DX10. Here are my computer specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 at 3.61Ghz

Nvidia GTX 260 896MB memory

Windows XP Professional

Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW 1920-1080 Res monitor.

My GPU was built for DX10 and using it with DX9 seems to be slowing it down currently so I am upgrading.

If you guys can give me any pointers/advise for SF2 in Win 7 I would really appreciate that! :grin:

Thanks so much!

liamp51

:good: With your hardware you should see significant performance improvement under Win 7! Just make sure that you have UseAdvancedShaders=1 set in Options.ini and that detail level is set at least to HIGH to enable DX10. Also remember that mods for SF2 series are installed in a different folder than under Win XP. (usually c:\Users\Username\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFIghters2 XXXX

I have 4GB of DDR3 RAM. Sorry, I forgot to mention that! :L

Win7 64 OS uses more RAM than XP OS. Most places will tell you that for Win7 64, you need at least 6 GB of RAM, and preferably 8 GB of RAM to operate really effectively. I have 12 GB of RAM with my Win7 64 so I sould never have any memory problems :good:.

Edited by Panama Red

Oh, I believe 4GB of RAM is enough for gaming these days. Unless you're using you're PC for 3Dmax stuff or encoding movies or crunching numbers or other "scientific" stuff....

Besides one time I compared free memory available under WIn 7 32 bit and 64 bit and I had more under 64 bit! Although 64 bit windows itself was "eating" slightly more RAM than 32 bit, at least I had access to full 4GB instead of 3.2 GB like with 32 bit. :grin:

8gb is over kill on RAM. 4GB is the industry standard currently I believe. Some games can't handle 6+ GB of RAM. I just upgraded from 2 to 4gb and still have 2+ GB of available RAM.

The most RAM that any single 32-bit application can be allocated, is 2048 mb, or 2 gb.

Apparently, SF2 series *.exe files have LAA flag set to 1 :blink:.

Hey,

Thanks so much guys! My frame rates have doubled after installing Win 7.

Thanks for the advice!

liamp51

Overall I'm just glad I moved on to Win7 regardless, life has been so much less painful in this regards...