Sign in to follow this  
Julhelm

Porting FE2 terrain to SF2

How do I go about doing this in the easiest way? Can I simply substitute things in the _Types and _Targets files with say things from Piecemeal's Desert3 terrain? I'd really like to hunt tanks over the excellent Jan Tuma tiles.

Oh, and I have some factories in a max file that I'd like to turn into terrain objects, but have no clue how to do so. If anybody feels up to the task, you can download the max scene using the link below:

http://www.ducker.se/files/Refinery.rar

Julhelm, I tried this once, even without any targets, just the terrain height and texture data. The big, I mean big problem is the 500 meters heightmap resolution for stock FE/FE2 terrains opposed to 2000 meters for jet titles, causing enormous slowdowns and display artifacts, I think this can be done, but involves a lot of trials and errors in flightengine and terrain_data. Draw distances are several times larger for SF2 compared to FE2. You'll hit the maximum vertex index for scene renderer fast, resulting in CTD.

The other way around it works without problems. You can allways try to retile, preferably by terrain_data.ini texture pointers change, given terrain (ie. GErmanyCE) using Jan Tuma's tileset, but you'll loose all his precious tods which are 500m resolution. Unless someone finally cracks the damn thing (tod 3D format) or make tool to rescale the tods. They are in fact single objects with subelement hierarchy.

I know I went the other way with the deset and palestine maps (gepards Isreal2, converted to ww2 palestine converted yet again for WW1 usage). Dropped them into FE2 with no problems (other than the large concrete runways on the desert terrain ...) I know that you need one of the SF/Wo* terrains for the cat pointer reach-around (desert, Germany, Veitnam) But they work fine

I don't remember if I took to the FE2 Cambri/Verdun and tried it in SF2 ... there will most likely be issues, due to runway sizes, for anything bigger than a P-51. Unless you do in air mission starts.

as to the factory/refinery question, can't help with the MAX stuff, but once it's exported to LOD and mapped/skinned, getting it 'in=game' is a simple edit of the types ini to add it (then of course, placing it on the map via the targets ini). Don't suppose you have any off-shore oil rigs??? Be perfect for the Iran/Irag rebuild.....

wrench

kevin stein

Julhelm these are some great looking models!

All I did was export with the plugin and create a new types.ini entry.

Shadows worked out of the box, and the collision model too as far as i see..

Smokes will be easy I think.

Destroyed models would be sweet.

Edited by pureblue

Do the normalmaps work on them if they are terrainobjects as well? I know they do on regular groundobjects.

Pity about the porting issues :(

On the subject of porting, though: Can Piecemeal's excellent Desert3 airbases be ported easily to say, GermanyCE or DBS?

You cant convert FE terrains into SF terrains. You can only convert SF into FE.

If you try to convert from FE to SF you will see, that the game engine is unable to use the entire map. The coordinate system is warped in a strange way, so that airfields and targets are not at the locations were they should be. Its a pity, because i tried to convert my Vogesen terrain into SF and i failed.

But you can import SF planes into FE and this is a great fun. The terrain resolution of 500x500 meters is much better than the usual 2000x2000 meters and so hedgehoping through mountainsides of the Vogesen is really fun!

Screenshot shows a hedghoping ride over Vogesen terrain. With more then 1000kph though the valleys. :grin:

Its the stock FE tileset. Then you can imagine how it looks with one of the photorealistic tilesets

post-3395-003184800 1293570535.jpg

Edited by Gepard

On the subject of porting, though: Can Piecemeal's excellent Desert3 airbases be ported easily to say, GermanyCE or DBS?

Yup. All you need are the terrain objects (the light stands, walls, etc) bits dropped into the terrain foleder, added to the _types ini, and then transplant the ENTIRE airfield layout from one targets ini to the other. Don't forget, you'll also need the various Desert airfield data inis, as those have the parking and lights and other stuff positioning (as the SF2 terran cats -Germany, IsrealME, VietnamSEA no longer contain them), placed in the terrain folder of choice.

like below, for the 'sun shelters'

wrench

kevin stein

Got a question for Wrench: What should I set the TargetType= for different models?

A mix of power_plant, weapon_factory etc? or Misc?

Edited by pureblue

Well here's the compiled package all ready to use.Thanks for sharing these Julhelm :good:

edit: corrected smoke.

Edited by pureblue

PB: meaning, reusing the same lod over, just 'tasked' with being a different terrain object?

Just add the 'new object', and have it point to pre-existing lods Example, reusing the CityBuilding1 as 'Government Offices Building':

[TargetType189]

Name=GovtBldg

FullName=Govt Offices Building

ModelName=citybldg1.lod

TargetType=COMMAND_BUILDING

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=100

UseGroundObject=FALSE

DamagePoint=100.0

ArmorValue=30000.0

ArmorType=1

RepairRate=0.150

StartDetectChance=20

StartIdentifiedChance=0

IncreaseDetectChanceKey=0

MaxVisibleDist=12000.0

DamagedModel=

DestroyedEffect=LargeTallStructureCollapse

DestroyedModel=warehouse1_destroyed.lod

SecondaryEffect=LargeFire

SecondaryChance=100

wrench

kevin stein

Do the normalmaps work on them if they are terrainobjects as well? I know they do on regular groundobjects.

Pity about the porting issues :(

Hi Julhelm.

Actually, before I became ill last September I was working on copying that very set-up to the 4 seasons Germany CE terrain. I completely forgot about it until I saw this discussion.

post-29988-077202600 1293585321.jpg

Now that it's popped into my head again I might continue with it in the next few days.

PB: meaning, reusing the same lod over, just 'tasked' with being a different terrain object?

Actually, I was just contemplating what TargetType=? variable to use for the entries in terrain_types.ini.

From Julhelms models 10 different target objects came out. Depending on their TargetType, they will could be tasked for strike in single/campaign missions. I wanted to get your expert opinion on this.

Anway, in the zip package I have them all defined as power_plant.

Julhelm, can I also upload this to its proper location on CA ?

welll.....let me think..... as to target types.....

I know we have

CHEMICAL_WEAPONS_PLANT

POWER_PLANT

WEAPONS_PLANT

and swear i've seen "AIRCRAFT_FACTORY" somewhere, and not just in the FullName=

there's also

ARMY_BASE (good for barracks and such)

NAVAL_BASE (good for docks, piers, etc)

can't remember where they're all at ... gotta be in one of the dlls i think. Anyone remember wich one? If we can find it, I"ll list them out and post it into the KB

wrench

kevin stein

Anway, in the zip package I have them all defined as power_plant.

Julhelm, can I also upload this to its proper location on CA ?

Of course you can.