Sign in to follow this  
Siddley

WOV Expansion Pack Gold

First post, be nice to me :D

After mentioning on another forum how much I loved WOV but wished it was a little more realistic a friend pointed me to the expansion pack.

I installed it a few hours ago and to say I'm impressed would be an understatement. It is jaw droppingly awesome. WOV is now a different sim ( and I loved it before )

Finally the low level speed of the Thud is obvious with those trees whizzing past. Flying over the mountains with maybe 2000ft of space between the jungle floor and the cloudbase, and the mist rising upwards.....just incredible. I can't thank the people responsible for this mod enough. I don't even seem to be getting a frame rate hit either, and my system isn't exactly high end.

I've got a question about the CAS missions though. The only targets I seem to get are tanks ( same as before ) - is this something hard coded into the sim and cannot be modded ?

Hi there.

CAS in random single missions will only be a battle between 2 groups of tanks - that is any vehicle defined as a tank. The Game randomly takes any TANK in ground objects and uses it.

So for example if you want CAS between 2 sets of infantry instead you would put them into the groundobjects folder defined as being of the type TANK. This of course means you could end up with tanks Vs infantry for example.

To control what actually turns up requires a scripted single mission in WOV created by yourself - for example you could download a mission from here similar to what you need and alter it using Notepad.

Hi there.

CAS in random single missions will only be a battle between 2 groups of tanks - that is any vehicle defined as a tank. The Game randomly takes any TANK in ground objects and uses it.

So for example if you want CAS between 2 sets of infantry instead you would put them into the groundobjects folder defined as being of the type TANK. This of course means you could end up with tanks Vs infantry for example.

To control what actually turns up requires a scripted single mission in WOV created by yourself - for example you could download a mission from here similar to what you need and alter it using Notepad.

Thanks for the explanation Migbuster, exactly what I needed to know.

What I would like to do then is have the game generate CAS missions between infantry, M113's and the Soviet amphibious light tank that the NVA sometimes used ( PTR ? BTR ? ) - assuming it's in the game....

That would be realistic-ish for 90% of the period I think.

I don't have a clue how to do this though :)

I'm not going to ask you to walk me through it, but could you suggest some tutorials that would help ?

Thanks for the explanation Migbuster, exactly what I needed to know.

What I would like to do then is have the game generate CAS missions between infantry, M113's and the Soviet amphibious light tank that the NVA sometimes used ( PTR ? BTR ? ) - assuming it's in the game....

That would be realistic-ish for 90% of the period I think.

I don't have a clue how to do this though :)

I'm not going to ask you to walk me through it, but could you suggest some tutorials that would help ?

The single missions generated with the single mission generator will draw ground objects from the ground objects folder. I forget exactly how it chooses the ground object, but I remember it tends to choose tanks over infantry. There is nothing that can be done about the way the game chooses ground objects for single missions. Therefore, you have two options.

1. Delete the tanks that you don't want to show up, and leave only the ground objects (infantry).

2. Write your own single missions to specify the targets you want.

If you upgrade to SF2:Vietnam, you can use the new mission editor to write missions, which makes thing easier.

Actually, if I remember correctly, I think the game goes through the ground objects folder in alphabetical order to find the first enemy and friendly ground objects defined as TANK. So you might want to try renaming some enemy and friendly infantry units with an underscore as the first character in the folder and main .ini file. I'm on an iPod right now so I can't easily give an example. But if you get what I'm saying, you can give that a try.

Just to clarify - what I described above is a way to get the desired ground objects to show up first when the ground objects folder is read in alphabetical order.

Cheers Malibu - I tried removing the tanks earlier and that resulted in CAS missions with no targets.

I think I'll just enjoy the new aspects of the sim for a while and get my CAS missions via a campaign.

Siddley:

Actually there are infantry units included in the Expansion Pack that are defined as type "Tank." For CAS missions before say, 1968, you should be getting those. Thats' the way it was when we were testing it. CAS missions from 69-72 will definitely give you more tanks. Check your \Objects\GroundObject folder for units named "Squad" or "Soldier" (.e.g, NVASquad, USMCSoldier, etc.). If you don't ee any, there may be a problem with your install.

The naming rule that Malibu43 mentioned actually applies only to Anti-Ship missions in SF2V on some patch levels (never could figure out the logic).

Eric Howes

Edited by eburger68

Guess what ? my install was messed up ( I'm usually OK at installing mods, but this WAS my fault )

Now I have VC troops, friendlies marked with smoke and a big grin on my face.

It really is a massive step forward. I like moving mud best of all and now I can actually eyeball targets without needing to use the targeting box all the time. It's so much more realistic.

Huge thanks to all concerned :drinks:

Hey, Siddley.

be really, really careful if you do the Steel Tiger campaign. Don't think that just because you aren't going Downtown that the flak won't be as effective.

Hey, Siddley.

be really, really careful if you do the Steel Tiger campaign. Don't think that just because you aren't going Downtown that the flak won't be as effective.

Roger that , I already found out :)

Whenever you grow tired of doing ordinary campaigns, check out the Dead is Dead group for a major challenge.

My latest pilot is flying an A-6 off the Coral Sea during the Easter Offensive.