Sign in to follow this  
Olham

For the "Butcher of Lieu St. Amand"

This is for Cameljockey, but also for everyone interested in old field maps and airfield locations.

The field which was used by the German Jasta 6 is still open and without any buildings.

Interesting. Some places have changed a lot more than that small town, which often makes it quite difficult to recognize the area. The bigger cities in particular have grown and expanded a lot in the decades after WW1, as people have left the countryside and moved into cities.

I wonder how much that site has been picked over. As little as it's changed in 90 years you'd think it wouldn't be too hard to locate artifacts from the old flugplatz.

Straight parallel lines in dirt=well-plowed ground in the planting season. Farmland now, probably farmland for the last 90 years. My guess is anything worth finding has either been found or is buried under oft-turned soil. You might well find a few articles but without serious excavation (upon which I'm sure Farmer Jacques would cast his gravest French frown) I doubt you'd find anything significant. That said, somebody had to be the one to find King Tut's tomb and treasure, so you never know.

You may find some minor parts thrown behind the shoulders by the mechanics like bolts and stuff.

Any larger, recognisable part would almost certainly be collected long ago.

So, I would much rather like to know, if there may be parts of aircraft or paperwork or such, in the attics

of any of the houses nearby.

Apart from that - if you want to find shells, you only need to walk over farmland in the war zones.

You will almost certainly find something.

They still compile 13 tons of unexploded shells and granades every year!

Here is a link of a site showing many such finds - if you watch this slideshow, your neckhair may raise:

(you may adjust the speed in the upper right corner)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/sets/72157616167273771/

Edited by Olham

Perhaps I can find the pocket watch and Saint Christopher necklace I lost!

I don't think so - I just found the wat... - arhem - I just don't think so. :grin:

(I'm flying from that field in the "Krauts vs Crumpets" Campaign right now.)

Maybe we should pool together and buy the land... build a WW1 Airfield and cause havoc... :pilotfly::rofl:

Welllll - it was a German field. And I don't think the French would allow that again. :this:

They'd probably advertise it as a tourist attraction! It'd be a good one.

Yes it would - but the French have their pride.

They would certainly not want to have red Fokker Triplanes flying over their towns.

They would rather re-open an airfield Guynemer or Fonck operated from.

Edited by Olham