Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

In advance of Burns night...

Olham, I'd say that haggis in your picture doesn't really look like haggis. It seems to be cooked like a haggis, but the colour and texture doesn't look right. It almost looks like the savoury filling for a bridie. This one is more recogniseable I would say.

Haggis tastes good, but you don't want to know whats in it. A tip for cooking one is be patient, and put it the pan while the water is cold so the skin can stretch gently as the water heats up. Put the Haggis straight into hot water and very often the skin will split and your dinner plans have suddenly all gone wrong. Don't prick it or wrap it in foil either, just be patient and let it cook slowly. If it does burst in the pan, you'll be lucky to save anything thats worth eating.

Haggis is very versatile too. It's sometimes deep fried in batter, which sounds dreadful but its just normal haggis with a crispy coat. I also had a mate a few years ago who's wife got a little pie making machine which made mini pies. You could make your own pies and choose your own filling. Cut a long story short, he started putting haggis into some and they were absolutely delicious. His plan was to have haggis pies in his lunchbox, but they never made it since they were always eaten within minutes of coming out the oven.

Don't be fooled by world champion haggis makers either. I've had a few made by champion butchers. No disrespect to them, but I wasn't that impressed with the taste. I'd say find a butcher who's haggis suits your own personal taste and keep buying the same stuff. Don't kid yourself its a health food either, there is lots of good stuff in there and it's supposed to be better for you than the typical sausage, but just like a sausage there are lots of fats and less healthy stuff in there too. Try it, and make up your own mind. Once in a while, there's nothing better.

post-45899-057887300 1294592547.jpg

Hmmmm - now you got me hungry! And I DO want what is in there - maybe I can make one myself.

Here in Germany we have various small and big sausages called Blutwurst.

They are like Yorkshire Pudding, and the big ones are cut in thick slices, which get fried.

Drool! Think I must stop now, or I'll get a short circuit in my keyb... Brtztll!!!

Edited by Olham

"Je weniger die Leute wissen, wie Würste und Gesetze gemacht werden, desto besser schlafen sie!"

- Otto von Bismarck

Uuuuhhhh!!!! Nasty - but maybe so true!

I actually don't eat "Wurst" much. But in Norden, my mum made fried Blutwurst

with mashed potatoes and Sauerkraut - how could I say no to a loving mother?

(Why have the Germans never thought of a nicer name for Blutwurst (blood banger) -

Yorkshire Pudding is a so much nicer disguise for Vampirerism).

Olham think you may have mixed up Yorkshire pudding with something else http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_pudding

"Yorkshire pudding is cooked by pouring a thin batter made from flour, eggs, butter and milk into a preheated and oiled baking pan."

They are lovely though with a traditional Roast, roast potatoes, beef, veg and gravy :)

I'm sure I've posted this before, but this is one of the later verses from Burns' Address to a Haggis.

But mark the Rustic, haggis fed,

But watch out for the Highlander/warrior fed on haggis,

The trembling earth resounds his tread,

The earth trembles beneath his feet,

Clap in his walie nieve a blade,

Put a sword in his hand,

He’ll mak it whissle;

He'll make it whistle through the air,

An’ legs, an’ arms an’ heads will sned,

And chop off legs arms and heads,

Like taps o’ thrissle.

Like chopping the tops off thistles in a field.

I've been to quite a few Burns suppers, but most are very civilised and I'm happy to report I still have all my arms, legs, and head.

Edit - And a close derivative of Polovski's pudding which uses sausages oven baked in the same or similar batter as Yorkshire pudding is called "Toad in the Hole". I'm sure that raises a few eyebrows in translation.

Edit No 2. - I couldn't help you making your own haggis Olham because I don't know how. Traditionally its lamb offal from a butcher mixed with oats and spices. The mix and how it all goes together is not something I know, but most haggis I know, in fact all haggis I know, is prepared by a butcher. I've never seen home cooked haggis. The ingredients made it cheap and affordable to the working man in the field, but as I understand it wasn't just food for the poor, the landed gentry were happy to dine on haggis too.

Edited by Flyby PC

Thanks, Flyby - I may travel to Scotland one day, and then I'll try it there.

Yer right, Pol - what I meant was Black Pudding, I suppose.

I wonder how those Yorkshire puddings are getting into such a small round shape - I'll search fro recepies.

Quite confusing, cause in Germany, Pudding is a sweet dessert.

Here is a "Vanillepudding" with strawberry sauce.