Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

OT: What's your 2011 game "Must Have" list?

As far as I can tell, these are the top 5 games / sims I am most looking forward to in 2011, followed by the appropriate titles as to how they will likely affect my life.

1. Over Flanders Fields : - (tenatively titled "Hellshade Gets a Divorce")

2. Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim (Hellshades Loses his Job)

3. Rift: Planes of Telara (Hellshade the Insomniac)

4. Wings of Prey sequel (Hellshade the Youtube Freak)

5. Diablo III (Hellshade of the Arthritic Index Finger)

Yes, IL-2: Cliffs of Dover looks really good but for whatever reason I seem to be more drawn towards Wings of Prey. Time will tell on those two.

The Witcher 2 also looks like it might be pretty awesome, but I'm thinking Elder Scrolls V is going to get the vast majority of my fantasy RPG time. The new engine for ES V appears to be a phenominal upgrade allowing for a great deal more possibilities than ES IV was capable of.

What's on top on your guys radar list of games / sims to play that are coming out this year?

Hellshade

Since I got "Over Flanders Fields", I don't play games anymore. :cool:

I am really mostly waiting for P4, but I don't really expect it to be completed in 2011.

If there was a sequel for STALKER, perhaps.

Diablo III ? I used to play Diablo II and liked it a lot (good music and sounds!).

The overall "graphic athmosphere" was just excellent.

Must check the web for Diablo III.

HS- I never got involved with IL-2..stayed with CFS and mods for WW ll.

However it looks like this sim might be very interesting and developed for the occasional WW2 campaign.

What's the best way to get into the latest and most developed version?

Regards,

Royce

HS,

Here are my most wented games for 2011 in no particular order and with the reason why I want them after the -.

1) Deus Ex: Human Revolution (or Evolution) - Loved the 1st Deus Ex hated the 2nd one which was made for consoles.

2) Test Drive Unlimited 2 - Providing it is not mainly multiplayer.

3) Diablo III - loved the 1st 2

4) EA Sports next Rugby game for the PC.

5) A decent new Nascar sim for the PC - EA Sports Nascar Sim Racing 2005 was dire, and they never attempted a follow up so I think a decent Nascar game is 5 years overdue.

6) OFF P4 - but I think realistically we are looking at either the very back end of 2011 or the start of 2012 at the earliest.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

As far as I know, the package "IL-2 1946", which I got and used for some time.

The aircraft are looking great, and you get with that package all the models that have previously

been added in add-ons. Also you get experimental aircraft, which have not, or only very rarely,

come to fly any missions. That's why it's called 1946 - you can play a "what would have been"

version of WW2.

You will get the package very cheap now, and it's definitely worth every penny.

Edited by Olham

Big question!

Gears of War 3 and Mass Effect 3 on my XBox, Uncharted 3 on the PS3. I quite literally -just- acquired a Nintendo Wii (early V-Day gift from my knockout of a wife), fulfilling a lifelong ambition to own all competing consoles in a generation at once (I used to get so annoyed when I saw how much better Mortal Kombat was on my friends' Sega Genesis than on my Super Nintendo). Ergo, I am looking forward to the new Zelda as I haven't played a Zelda game since 1998.

As far as the PC goes, OFF P4 would be amazing but I doubt we'll see that this year. I am definitely looking forward to Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2, loved the originals. I am a huge fan of Bioware RPGs as is known, loved Knights of the Old Republic, and so am somewhat excited about their new Old Republic MMO. I do NOT typically play MMOs (with the rare exception of EVE Online) but if Old Republic features a single player story with well written characters in the same vein as the original KotoR I will definitely want to play it.

Trouble is I've got this damned gaming backlog I'm trying to get rid of. I've committed to finishing Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape Torment, and Fallout New Vegas before moving on to a new game, but the spring release season is almost upon me! I've got to do more gaming but I'm also working on short stories for the Clarion Workshop in San Diego, developing content for a website I'd like to start up in a few months, and not to mention I'm enrolled at the university.

But not to worry. Once I convince the Missus that quality time and "watching hubby play a video game" are one and the same I'll have it made good.gif

Edited by Javito1986

But not to worry. Once I convince the Missus that quality time and "watching hubby play a video game" are one and the same I'll have it made good.gif

Javito1986,

You must let us know how that discussion goes.And also the argument that won her over to your way of thinking/The argument that hospitalised you. LOL

(Seriously though good luck with that)

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Instant buys:

Mos probably buys:

Some chances:

Sorry, but I can't make the list shorter.

Wow - von Paulus - if the international ranking agencies could see your list, they would be ranking Portugal much higher! :grin:

Edited by Olham

Damn you VP!

I forgot about Dungeon Seige III and Red Orchestra 2! Good call buddy. Those will both be Must Have's for me.

Hellshade

Wow - von Paulus - if the international ranking agencies could see your list, they would be ranking Portugal much higher! :grin:

:good:

This year will be special for me for the good and the bad reasons.

My main distraction now, is PC gaming. It may sound strange to some of you, but it's my way to stay afloat without getting depressed.

EDIT:

Here's an "exciting" list for 2011: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/03/the-exciting-list-of-2011s-excitements/

Edited by Von Paulus

I might pop for Cliffs of Dover just for the eye candy and the hope it has a better campaign than IL2 has. Other than that I'm waiting for P4. I really have no other interests in new games.

Beard

1.Battle of Britain CoD.

2. Not really a new sim but awaiting the new campaign and Gotha for RoF.

I'm also interested in OFF P4 and the WoP sequel but without official release dates I can't place them in a 2011 list.

Von Paulus, I went through such a phase some years ago, and playing good games

like STALKER or IL-2 helped me to "stay tuned".

P-4 by Summer ? IL2 46 and CoD if I get a new computer by then. Would luv a good Tank game :drinks:

Maybe that Game that should remain unnamed if worse comes to worst

Von Paulus, I clicked on the link for DIABLO III. When I wanted to see the video, they requested my age.

But I can't seem to get to a year earlier than 2004. When I accidently clicked that, I was locked out.

Do you know how to get to an earlier year? (arrow up/down didn't work)

Von Paulus, I clicked on the link for DIABLO III. When I wanted to see the video, they requested my age.

But I can't seem to get to a year earlier than 2004. When I accidently clicked that, I was locked out.

Do you know how to get to an earlier year? (arrow up/down didn't work)

:yikes:You seem to have a special skill to get yourself locked.

When you reset your IP address, that lock (this I'm pretty sure will be off).

But go to youtube and query for Diablo III videos.

If you want to know more information about Diablo III, just go here:

http://www.rpgwatch....ws?ref=0&id=329

I bet it won't be released this year.

EDIT: If you like hack 'n' slash Diablo type games, there are a lot. Just ask.

Edited by Von Paulus

Thanks, but I knew how to get out and back again for a new attempt, and it would have worked.

It's only that I can't set my birthday correct - I can't get any earlier than 2004.

And that is too young for them to let me in.

No, I don't like any sort of games, just because of the type of game - neither rollplayers nor shooters or sims.

I like only very few, and it is hard to say why. They need to have a special athmosphere and graphics.

Also they should have a good story. And they shouldn't be so linear.

In one word: I like only top quality - don't play much.

I liked the early "Command & Conquer".

From all shooters, I liked "FEAR" best, but it quickly got disappointing.

Then there are mixes of genres - STALKER is such a mix of rollplayer and shooter.

I liked it, because it had an intriguinly believeable, own world.

Another, older one I really liked was "Wolfenstein 3D" - amazing how many levels they had created!

Edited by Olham

Thanks, but I knew how to get out and back again for a new attempt, and it would have worked.

It's only that I can't set my birthday correct - I can't get any earlier than 2004.

And that is too young for them to let me in.

The skull is a slider. Just push down the skull. :grin:

Well Diablo is quite linear.

I think you would love Dragon Age and Mass Effect. You should try both. Probably you'l like The Witcher's story.

And yes Stalker has some nice features.

Edited by Von Paulus

Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Witcher are all quite lovely games.

DA & ME have such amazingly extensive background information. I've spent hours browsing their respective codex entries, reading about the history of the Chantry's religion or the tactics of space warfare. Mass Effect 2 in particular, in addition to being extremely fun and fluid on PC, has such excellent writing.

Favorite scene:

Yes in spite of being streamlined (specially ME), both are very enjoyable to play.

Interesting stories, hard not to feel involved.

That's also one of my favourites scenes, Javito. And the OST? Brilliant. One of the bests if not the best.

I played both MEs, one after the other, and it was quite a gaming experience. I would like that the game (specially the second) had more RPG elements and was less streamlined, more like... Deus Ex . If that was the case it would be... perfect. Still, one of the best games I have ever played. I can't wait for the third and final chapter.

EDIT:

Trouble is I've got this damned gaming backlog I'm trying to get rid of. I've committed to finishing Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape Torment, and Fallout New Vegas before moving on to a new game, but the spring release season is almost upon me!

My backlog is bigger, I can assure you. Those three titles that you mention also belongs to it. I must play Planescape, BG and Arcanum. In certain circles, I'm considered a weirdo for not having played it.

Edited by Von Paulus

Olham -

>>As far as I know, the package "IL-2 1946", which I got and used for some time.<<

Thanks for the information

Royce

Hmmm.... Good question....

1. Whatever my company decides to release this year. Everything we make is primo :grin: . Of course, I'll never play it because I'll be utterly bored with it by then and busy working on our next project :blink:.

2. OFF P4, assuming it comes out this year. Here's hoping.

3. Any DLC for the PC that becomes available for Fallout New Vegas. It really turns my crank that the only DLC so far has been X-Box exclusive.

4. After that.... Hard to say. I've had every Elder Scrolls game to date so I'm definitely interested in Skyrim, but since it's not coming out until November I might put it off until next year when it'll be cheaper. And I miss WW2 dogfights so both IL2COD and WOP2 are interesting, but I'll have to try the demo to see if the AI is up to scratch, MP being a no-go for me at present. And then there are my closet addictions to Mount & Blade and the X Universe. Anything that comes out for either of those is definitely on my list.

I think that's a big enough list. I don't have much free time so I figure 3 or 4 games per year is the most I can do.

1. Whatever my company decides to release this year. Everything we make is primo :grin: . Of course, I'll never play it because I'll be utterly bored with it by then and busy working on our next project :blink:.

Man do I want to get a job in the industry. I want to be you when I get out of school.

Mass Effect2 looks great. Could it be a bit much of philosophising? I'll take second looks later.

The Witcher's graphics don't appeal to me; the figures appear quite stiff.

This Dragon Age II trailer looks brilliant - will check more:

Thank you guys - it's always interesting what else there is. I didn't check for some time.