Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Olham on a bicycle in Flanders, and driving a Model T along the Marne

Today I remembered, that long time ago, UncleAl wrote about driving a Model T in OFF.

I think he was even riding a bicycle, equipped with Le Prieur rockets!

Well, I forgot about the rockets, but I had a bike ride over a German field, wearing a Tommy helmet -

but nobody shot at me. The bike exploded unfortunately, when I tried to ride up a hill.

The Ford Model T managed the hill better, with slow tempo, and so I drove all the way to visit

Marie Louise (her parents still don't know!).

Mine's more colorful and it's a flatbed, so I can come pick up the remains of your bike ride..:grin:

FS_0110.jpg

FS_0111.jpg

First time for everything, a bicycle that explodes when climbing a hill, what will they think of next?

Why didn't you guys, when you were making the Schlieffen Plan tour through Belgium, pick up a few FN motorcycles?

Fn-1913.jpg

Tres hot! :heat:

OK . . . but I'd rather stick with American Iron

It wasn't available in 1913? Besides it took BMW almost 68 years to figure out how to build a bike like the Belgium made FN. Look it up, the FN was the first inline four cylindered motorcycle made in the world, and it won races.

100% correct . . but how many exist outside of a museum ?

Actually a few, there's a couple in enthusiasts hands on the continent and there's a few in Australia. Now how many Indian 4's do your neighbors own, eh?

Besides look at the Indian, it's a farm implement at best, considering it's at least 18 years newer than the FN, and its well over 500 pounds in weight. The FN 4 was a sprightly 230 pounds, it's lighter than my Yamaha dualsport XT225.

I tried putting and pedaling around only to discover I'd followed Unle Als' advice too literally and had not assigned a HOTAS button to releasing the parking brake. In fact, I'd reassigned the key(s) for that to something else so was left without even a keyboard option. Needless to say, I didn't get very far :grin:.

Just as well. I'd have gotten a DWI if I'd move the vehicle ::drinks:

Cool , now that the Model T is getting some "high profile" attention maybe my request to the armory for a twin mounted Lewis guns on the rear of the model T can happen :minigun:

cheers

Cool , now that the Model T is getting some "high profile" attention maybe my request to the armory for a twin mounted Lewis guns on the rear of the model T can happen :minigun:

cheers

Not to beat the Fighter Squadron-WWI drum too much, but it already has a twin Vickers, 'cept it's mounted on a Thornycroft truck.

It shouldn't be much work to import the 3D models over from a Scarff ring or a pintle mount of some two seater in OFF though, and coding the animation and making it as a second operable position? :dntknw:

I love the old fours! I'm rather a fan of the mid-1930's 601 Ariel Square Four, very sweet. Now as to toodling around in OFF via ground conveyance: I once drove some 10 miles between aerodromes up at Bertangles without killing myself or crashing. Unfortunately after several hours of drinking and singing in the officer's mess the drive home ended badly, (should have gone with Bullethead's advice).

Not to beat the Fighter Squadron-WWI drum too much, but it already has a twin Vickers, 'cept it's mounted on a Thornycroft truck.

It shouldn't be much work to import the 3D models over from a Scarff ring or a pintle mount of some two seater in OFF though, and coding the animation and making it as a second operable position? :dntknw:

ahhh Thornycroft.

at the risk of being shot....

coming to a screen near you.

mabe not soon,

but maybe :blink:

ahhh Thornycroft.

mabe not soon,

Hptm. von Mahlo: "Verdammt! Zee Enemie hass encrypted der Messadge again!"

Bordeauxred Baron: "Vell, I hav seen decrypted messadges from der Engländers, ant zey still did nott make sense!"

Hptm. von Mahlo: "Verdammt! Zee Enemie hass encrypted der Messadge again!"

Bordeauxred Baron: "Vell, I hav seen decrypted messadges from der Engländers, ant zey still did nott make sense!"

Damn this enigma code! These secret messages from the Germans are starting to make sense.

ahhh Thornycroft.

mabe not soon,

We, who have to commute along the back areas would prefer to have something heavier with four wheels and two machine guns, that doesn't unexpectedly explode.

I know this is a tall order..

I've tried to drive from Bertangles-West to Amiens several times but there's a downhill slope about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way there where I build up too much speed even with brakes applied to manage the sharp angle between terrain planes (correct term?) at the bottom and crash every time. Same with the bicycle.

Can't you drive down the slope less vertical - diagonal so to say? Or maybe you got into a mine field? :grin:

Alright Olham, where are we going for this decent French beer you eluded to over in the thread about the sim whose name must never be uttered? (STONE HIM!) Didn't know there was such a thing. Decent French wine, yes. Decent French cognac, absolutely. But decent French beer? :blink:

There's some pretty kick ass Belgium beer..

If I recall correctly it's brewed by monks.

Well, you will have to wear these civil clothes here; cause we will have to drive

through the German held area of Flanders. Here is a map.

Our goal is Chimay, where Trappist monks are brewing a very special stuff.

I give you my word as an officer and gentleman, that I will bring you back to

your lines, and that I will defend you with my own life against any possible

German attempts to arrest you or do you any harm. Shall we dare it?

http://en.wikipedia..../Chimay_Brewery

I've tried to drive from Bertangles-West to Amiens several times but there's a downhill slope about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way there where I build up too much speed even with brakes applied to manage the sharp angle between terrain planes (correct term?) at the bottom and crash every time. Same with the bicycle.

Really? I've got ABS brakes, prototypically set up on the back wheels only and I handle downhills with aplomb.

You see Lewie, now that right there is the difference. I only have two-wheeled mechanical brakes set up on the front, so I have to handle downhills with au pair, (but she's so cute you really don't notice you're careening out of control).

As to Belgium beer, well that is hardly French now is it? Great Belgian beer, by all means. And yes Herr Olham, I am willing to chance the lines for such. Oberleutnant Otto Gehtzumbräu, ready and waiting!

.As to Belgium beer, well that is hardly French now is it? Great Belgian beer, by all means.

Well, I didn't want to insult the French - but what the heck; they have their cuisine, great wines and kissing - they can't get EVERYthing right!

And yes Herr Olham, I am willing to chance the lines for such. Oberleutnant Otto Gehtzumbräu, ready and waiting!

This was funny; I clicked on "Reply", but you text didn't appear. Cause you were just changing "Gehtzumbier" into "Gehtzumbräu", I suppose.

Well "Zumbier" is indeed a German family name, although I doubt is has it's roots in "Bier" - not sure about Zumbräu.

(For our English pilots: Otto Gehtzumbier would be a bit like Tom Gotobeer)

hee, hee...right you are Olham. Thought I better change it as Gehtzumbräu would raise less suspicion at the guard crossing.

Those guards are never that clever, as we know from so many English films, don't we?

They are wearing a helmet, that is either too big or too small, and they don't even find 20

partisans in the hay on the back of a truck!

:rofl:

So you would never hear: "Gehtzumbier? Ah - you are an English officer in civilian clothes,

I guess, and you are trying to get to Chimay with this gentleman, who obviously is not a

fake German, and therefor I beg your pardon, Herr Oberleutnant - of course you can pass,

and I have never seen you with this Englishman!"

Clack!!

Never.

Edited by Olham

You see Lewie, now that right there is the difference. I only have two-wheeled mechanical brakes set up on the front, so I have to handle downhills with au pair, (but she's so cute you really don't notice you're careening out of control).

As to Belgium beer, well that is hardly French now is it? Great Belgian beer, by all means. And yes Herr Olham, I am willing to chance the lines for such. Oberleutnant Otto Gehtzumbräu, ready and waiting!

You know, I probably shouldn't be discussing the 'other', other sim I develop for with such frequencey in this forum, but there are some similar attributes to these two sims. I suspect the OFF model T has working suspension with scaleable spring rates,damping and breakage? It's one thing I've being trying to fix with mine is the ability to actually drive the wheels from the engine in my models. As it is my T drives like a automatic trannied car in 'limp' mode.

Edited by Lewie

As it is my T drives like a automatic trannied car in 'limp' mode.

A trannied car in 'limp' mode????

My English fails me here; and I won't tell you what pictures I had in my head. :grin: