Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

The British Isles, of Britain, United Kingdom

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck haha

i wonder why at the world cup you guys have four teams, this is unfair.

Clear as mud to me....! :heat:

Actually, I did find that video very informative.

Not that I'll remember much of it....but I had learned a lot from my Canadian wife beforehand.

FC

The most important thing you need to know about the UK is that we are ( mostly ) disarmed.

Generations of British subjects have meekly traded their liberty for an illusion of security, to the point where even a pointy stick is considered an 'Offensive weapon'

I'd much rather live in America - I am a skilled gunsmith, licenced firearms manufacturer and machinist and will work for food :cool: if anyone can get me a Green Card then I'd appreciate it.

Or should I just cross over the border from Mexico and get myself an amnesty ? I can't claim to be Mexican but I like the food, I do tend to be lazy, I go really brown in the sun, I speak Spanish and Danny Trejo is one of my favourite actors :cool:

I'm armed to the Teeth Siddley...But don't tell the Burglar....I want it to be a surprise! :grin:

I'm armed to the Teeth Siddley...But don't tell the Burglar....I want it to be a surprise! :grin:

Don't forget the three 'S' rule then :grin:

I too would like to own a fire arm...a gangster can pick up a gun anywhere and anytime...a law abiding citizen can't so the bad guys have guns and the good ones don't.

Anyone who says gun ownership is responsible for the crimes and shootings in the USA only have to look at Canadian which has far more firearms per person than the USA and no real gun crime whatsoever.

I'm not a believer in gun ownership personally...but I'm a believer in freedom of choice.

We are treated like Children in the UK...Doubly so when nancy state New Labour were in power.

(we need to be very careful here chaps...I wanted everyone to see this video..and I dont want it moved to the Political section!!!)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

(we need to be very careful here chaps...I wanted everyone to see this video..and I dont want it moved to the Political section!!!)

OK, I deleted my last post :drinks:

The vid was informative and along with my stamp collecting knowledge I think I might understand the matter. It left me with wondering about the whereabouts of dear old Blighty though. So to Wikipedia for that;

Blighty is a British English slang term for Britain, deriving from the Hindustani word vilāyatī (विलायती) (pronounced bilāti in many Indian dialects and languages) meaning a foreigner.

The term was more common in the latter days of the British Raj, and is now more commonly used as a term of endearment by the expatriate British community or those on holiday to refer to home.

In their 1886 Anglo-Indian dictionary, Hobson-Jobson, Sir Henry Yule and Arthur C. Burnell explained that the word came to be used in British India for several things the British had brought into the country, such as the tomato (bilayati baingan, whose literal translation is "foreign aubergine") and soda water, which was commonly called bilayati pani ("foreign water").

During World War I, "Dear Old Blighty" was a common sentimental reference, suggesting a longing for home by soldiers in the trenches. The term was particularly used by World War I poets such as Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon. During that war, a Blighty wound -- a wound serious enough to require recuperation away from the trenches but not serious enough to kill or maim the victim—was hoped for by many, and sometimes self-inflicted.[1]

The Music Hall artiste Vesta Tilley had a hit in 1916 with the song I'm Glad I've Got a Bit of a Blighty One (1916), in which she played a soldier delighted to have been wounded and in hospital. "When I think about my dugout" she sang, "where I dare not stick my mug out... I'm glad I've got a bit of a blighty one". Another Music Hall hit was Take Me Back to Dear Old Blighty, which was sampled at the beginning of The Queen Is Dead by The Smiths.

Blighty was the name of a weekly magazine published in London from 1939 to 1958 for young men, and possibly aimed at servicemen,[2] competing against magazines such as Titbits and Reveille. It was continued for another year as Blighty Parade or Parade and Blighty, before becoming Parade. Another humorous paper of the same name was published in London from 1916 to 1920, according to the British Library catalogue.

Spot on video, but you can tell it wasn't made by an actual British Citizen... because of the emphasis on the Crown... I mean what actual Brit gives a flying s**te about the Crown? While that part of the video is technically correct, it's one of those things that not many outside the British Isles actually gets... which is... no one worth a flip, not even the English, actually give one for the Crown... laws are made by rich people for the rich people, everyone works for the poor people to sit on their arses (including unfortunately at the moment, me), but no one really believes they are working for the Queen or the Crown, not even the Royal Marines.. most so called Crown servants and certainly most Crown Citizens give one for the actual people, not some archaic symbol.. although I have doubts about the HMC Revenue staff.. and Ian Paisley grin.gif

Edited by GwynO

OK, I deleted my last post :drinks:

Thanks m8 :drinks: