Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

A MOST interesting development

Quite astonished this actually worked, and worked the way it does.

There is definately some VERY interesting coding inside SF2...

Notice the 'black items'. Kudos to that can ID what they are...(suffice it say, they did NOT fall the sky)

I always liked the 'lived in look'. Otherwise, it's just too pristine

wrench

kevin stein

It would be cool to put some of those randomly on the maps around old Soviet airfields and such for atmosphere! :grin:

the major problem is, they don't like being anywhere's near anything with the zBuffer offset (like runways), as they tend to sink below it's surface.

But when placed 'in the rough', off the concrete .. they work fine. I guess, just assume they were bulldozed out of the way

oh, btw, these are stock 3W items ... not placed ANYWHERE (well, other than the _types and _targets.inis!!! But called from the ObjectData cat, directly. (although there are some destroyed models in the WW2 terrains that work fine on 'the pad'; they ain't jets)

wrench

kevin stein

I love how TW did the destroyed aircraft LODS. They are so much more realistic than the flaming crater in IL-2! :P

Hard to bulldoze the scorch marks off with the rest of the wreckage, innit?

:blink:

well, they're hard at work, trying to figure THAT part out!! :rofl:

wrench

kevin stein

Good find Wrench.

That zbuffer and objects sinking was fixed in Dec2010C. I loved it, and was a great improvement. You could look at an airfield from 15k-25k feet high, and still see the trucks and aicraft and everything..

Now with the Jan2011 patch, it's back to sinking again :angry2: You'll be flying 10k altitude, right above the airfield and can't see what's down there, even on full zoom..

I've played around with many settings and compared ini's, even tried switching dll files.. but couldn't get the Dec2010c behaviour back..

Edited by PureBlue

Definitely add some flavour to wherever a battle happened, great find Wrench.

Could you please explain how do called from the cat directly?

Wrench,

Where can we get the D7 bulldozers?

You should see the ENTIRE destroyed cities on the SoCal map!

For "regular" destroyed objects; things that are found in the terrain cats, simply requre a small edit (well, along with a copy/paste and renumbering of the original items) to change the pointer from the standard item, to the destroyed item, and removal of any target value points

[TargetType156]

Name=DestBarrack1

FullName=Destroyed Barrack1

ModelName=barrack1_destroyed.LOD

TargetType=MISC

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=0

UseGroundObject=FALSE

DamagePoint=0.0

ArmorValue=0.0

ArmorType=1

RepairRate=0.0

StartDetectChance=100

StartIdentifiedChance=100

IncreaseDetectChanceKey=0

MaxVisibleDist=12000.0

DamagedModel=

DestroyedEffect=

DestroyedModel=barrack1_destroyed.LOD

SecondaryEffect=

SecondaryChance=0

these come directly from the terrain cat. The same thing can be done with vehicles, so if one wanted to have the remains of a tank battle (say, in the Fulda Gap), you just need the entries and placements (you'll see that too, on the SoCal map)

For the destroyed aircraft, that was some guesswork. First, I had to find them! They're stored in ObjectData001.cat. Then, experimentatly added them to the types ini (in this case, the MidWest USA map). What I wasnt' sure of, is that they'd show up without being inside the terrain cat. So, I just added one, placed it via the targets ini, crashed in a city ... and there it was! Pulled right from the ObjectData001 cat!!

The entries are pretty much the same...

[TargetType255]

Name=DestA1

FullName=Destroyed A-1 Skyraider

ModelName=A-1_DESTROYED.LOD

TargetType=MISC

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=0

UseGroundObject=FALSE

DamagePoint=10.0

ArmorValue=300000.0

ArmorType=0

RepairRate=0.100

StartDetectChance=100

StartIdentifiedChance=100

IncreaseDetectChanceKey=0

MaxVisibleDist=5000.0

DamagedModel=

DestroyedEffect=

DestroyedModel=

SecondaryEffect=

SecondaryChance=

there's 35 or so of them...

the bulldozers come from one of the WW2 maps

wrench

kevin stein

That sounds whacking.

Your guidance, Wrench, will be my light to go through the darkness of my ignorance.

Edited by FrankD

the D7s are in my rebuild of the WW2 Solomons terrain (you can find it in the 1stGen terrain d/ls -Solomons V.3)

dozer.lod

30118olivedrab.bmp

are the items needed. (if one is also clever enough, you could turn them from Terrain Objects, to GroundObjects, that drive around and cause traffic jams)

I don't know who actually built them, as they date from 11/2004. Could have been Edward??? I can always just upload it, with easy to follow instruction for adding to a terrain.

wrench

kevin stein