Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT I nearly lost my best friend

What a roller coaster of a day.

My dearest Friend, Max...my 11 year old Border Collie, had to go to the Vets today, for an ECG and an X-Ray.

His breathing has been quite laboured, and it was discovered that one of the Valves in his heart is mis-shapen.(a common condition in older Collies)...resulting in some water in his Lungs, and toughened Heart Muscle, due to it having to work harder, to pump Blood around his body.

When I took him in, and had to leave him there...I really thought it was going to be the last time I saw him.

Now, many people who have never owned a Dog, might say (and I cant blame them) that he's Just a damn Dog.

But, he's my most loyal, and trusted friend...he's been there with me, at my side...faithful and true...when Human friends have deserted me in my hour of need!....I know, that Max would give up his life in an instant, to save mine.....there's not many people I could say that about...He loves me with all his heart...and I love him too

Anyway... It would appear, that Max has decided that he should not leave my side...just yet...He knows that I need him still.

£500 later...and tablets for the rest of his life, is a small price indeed for such a Dog as him.

The Condition is incurable...but it is controllable...He is happy, and not in pain...I would have him put to sleep, if I thought he was suffering in any way...but he's still fit...and will continue to enjoy his time on earth, until it's time for him to go....He will know when that time comes...and he will let me know, I'm sure.

I needed to express this in words...I'm sorry if it's Soppy...but you guys are great for talking to...and it's been a stressful day, for him, me..and all my family.

But, it's also been a Joyous day too...He is back at my feet...where he so often is, when I type on the forum...Watching out for me... As he has done for many years.

Thank you Max, for allowing me more time to spend with you!..... And thank you to the Vet...for looking after my Buddy for me.

And thank YOU guys, for listening to the ramblings, of a Man who loves his Dog :drinks:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

No problem, we're all here to share stuff.

What a sweety, I'm sorry your dog is sick, it sounds like he's having good life. My sister had two Border collies that lived into their teens, one of the friendliest dogs and pretty smart. I'm rather more of a cat person myself, having a pet get ill is tough, I've been there too.

Cheers

Edited by Lewie

I totally understand and sympathise with your feelings for your best mate.Your money could not have been spent better.My best wishes to you and Max.

Man, Widowmaker - good, that my keyboard is waterproof.

I know what you mean, old boy. Still today, I see my German Sheppard dog in my mind.

I had left him with my parents in Ostfriesland, when I went to study graphic design in Berlin.

And one day my mother called and told me, that they had let him put to sleep.

They had not even asked me. They said he had cancer, and I couldn't have done anything,

but still - I wished they had asked me.

I wish you and Max some more years to spend together - and I'm sure you will treasure every minute. :good:

I know the heartache of nearly losing your best friend and the immense relief when you can take them home again. Make the most of your time with Max, he'll love the attention and so will you!

May you have many happy days together. All the best to you all, and thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Ali

From his photo, Max appears to be quite the character! I'm sure you have had (and will continue to have) many adventures together. I am glad that his condition is manageable.

Thank you all so much for your kind words of encouragement!...I am sure, if Max could Speak, and Type...he would be straight on here to thank you all himself!!!...but, I will have to do that for him :grin:

Special thanks to Ali....whose very first post on the forum, is to lend support, for someone he's never spoken to!...You sound like exactly the sort of guy, that makes this forum, the most special place on the Web!!!!

Everyone's kind words have been passed onto my Wife and Son...who have also had a hard time of it today...and I extend my thanks to you, from them!

As for Max?...well, This quote I found yesterday, just about sums it up

I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better. They fight for honor at the first challenge, make love with no moral restraint, and they do not for all their marvelous instincts appear to know about death. Being such wonderfully uncomplicated beings, they need us to do their worrying. ~George Bird Evans,

I will have to share that quote with my 82 year old father. He loves dogs, but can't have any as he is now in a retirement center. He still tells stories of him and his childhood dog, Snoozer, going rabbit hunting in the tall prairie grass. Snoozer would jump high in the air to spot the rabbit, disappear and take off after it, and then spring into the air again some 50-100 feet from where he was on his previous jump. Repeat ad nauseum. Snoozer is still his favorite dog.

WM, I am very, very glad that you and Max will still have some more quality time to share and I hope your old pal will have a wonderful final run. I know what it is like to lose a beloved dog, I've personally had to go through it on numerous occasions over the years. So to have a reprieve in that situation really is a Godsend. I had to have our old lab Goldie put to sleep a couple of years ago because of cancer. She hung on for nearly a year after the diagnosis and mananged to be in pretty good health up until the last month. That was hard, and the day I had to finally bring her in was one of the toughest I've had in a long, long while. I stayed with her as she fell asleep for the last time and I swear the look on her face was the one she nearly always had: that of gratitude and joy. I wept like a little boy as I brought her back home to her final resting place, and I weep still when I think about it...am right now as a matter of fact. As you so rightly noted WM, people who don't have a connection with dogs will likely never understand it. But those of us who do know just how much these four-legged friends become a part of our lives, and how deeply they touch our hearts.

Widowmaker,

Just so you know, we ran into a similar situation with my daughter's cat about 3 years ago, when she was about 4 years of age (the cat....not the daugher). She suffers from a condition which sounds very much like the one you're describing. It's called Hypertrophic Cardiac Myopia. It's a thickening of the heart muscle which makes it difficult for the organ to pump blood effectively. Typically, it's a condition that exists due to a faulty gene. More common in certain breeds of dogs than in cats, but still common nonetheless.

One minute the cat was fine, the next minute she looked close to death. Rushed her into the local Vet. They told us she had suffered congestive heart failure as a result of the fluid build up around her heart and lungs. That diagnosis and a referral to a nearby kitty-cat cardiologist ran me just shy of a thousand bucks. The subsequent visit to the cardiologist, which resulted in removal of some of the fluid build-up, and a prescription for no less than 3 different medications (Beta-blockers, diuretics and that sort of thing) resulted in a bill that weighed in at another 1500 bucks.

I know what some of you are thinking. You're thinking I'm certifiably nuts. Perhaps so, but one thing I do know. The Vet assured me that with proper maintenance, the cat could potentially live to a ripe old age and have a very good quality of life. The cat is alive and well 3 years later, happy as a lark, and my daughter treats every moment with her as if it were her last. The expression of happiness on my daughter's face when she interacts with this feline, money can't buy. Was it worth it to spend that kind of money on a fur-lined mousetrap? You bet your ass it was, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Well done, Simon. May you and your faithful companion, Max, continue to enjoy eachother's company for many years to come. The outlook looks very positive indeed.

Here's a picture of my other two children...on high alert.:wub:

cats.jpg

Cheers,

Parky

Edited by Parky

Glad your pup weathered it. Not sappy at all, either. Lost my beloved pup Charlotte in October 2008. She was 17; I had her 16 years. I had her cremated and when my time comes she'll ride into eternity with me.

Edited by JFM

Hope your mate is feeling well....my daughter wants a pet and I'm thinking of a tortiuse but have no idea where you can buy them in the UK...

Vet bills can be very expensive..if I had a dog I'd get some insurance...

Edited by Wodin

No problem, we're all here to share stuff.

I echo Lewie's sentiments - we're a community, not just a bunch of pilots. I'm glad to hear that Max is okay too! I've had quite a few dogs in my time and tragically, none of them seemed longed for this earth. I switched to cats and found they seem to last longer around me.

I still have a soft spot for dogs, though and Max is a handsome fella. I'm glad he's home with you and yours. Cheers WM. drinks.gif

Inspirational Stories guys.... Lou...It will be my first loss of a Dog when it comes..and is a day I fear...but I'm a little more prepared now than I was just yesterday.

Parky..Hypertrophic Cardiac Myopia is exactly what the vet said it was...damn faulty Genes!...Nature is a fantastic thing..but like everything...it's not perfect...nothing is...Love your Cats, beautiful...Silent..and sleek!...One of Nature's finest!!

Wodin...there are Tortoise breeders around on the Net...Our son got one last year...sounds daft, but they can be sent via Royal Mail!!....Our little fella arrived in a box, none the worse for his experience!...

Prop...Snoozer sounds like he was a real Charmer!...and if he was the Childhood pet of your 82 yr old Dad....that kinda proves it doesn't it?

JFM...17 is a fantastic age...she waits for you at Rainbow Bridge!...you will walk with her once more!

I love this photo of Max...it shows his personality so well.....My Strong, Wise Guardian...with a subtle, cheeky twinkle in his eye! ...and as anyone who has ever kept an animal of any sort will know...they are each unique individuals, as indeed we all are! :drinks:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Now, many people who have never owned a Dog, might say (and I cant blame them) that he's Just a damn Dog.

UKW,

I know what you mean with the above quote, although I and my mum are more cat lovers, in fact ever since I can remember my mum has had a cat, so I can understand your worry about when Max finally has to leave you.

But when that happens you will have lots of great memories from when he was a pup and from later on in his life. The best memories of my mums cats that I have is of when they have been kittens as she has always had siamese and one which was a half siamese, and as kittens when you first bring them home, they always make me think of a new born giraffe, as they seem to have bodies that are on stilts, and a drunk is controlling the stilts.

May Max give you many more years of happiness.

Parky,

I see from your picture that one of your cats is a siamese, I just can't quite make out the colouring, it he/she a seal or chocolate point, and if so how young is he/she.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Thanks Rugbyfan...I too love Cats (I love pretty much all Animals really)..We have an old Tomcat here..just celebrated his 17th Birthday!...he's scraggy, battle scared, skinny and a little old whinge bucket!..he lives by his Radiator...moves only to eat, drink..relieve himself...and thwack our other Collie round the Chops...with his (still remarkably) vicious claws!!!...Max learned long ago..to give him a wide berth!...But Sophie has still got her youthful inexperience!.....but OLD Jack the Cat is a veteran of many nights on the tiles...with females he has outlived...and has many young pretenders to his crown, that bear a strikingly similar look to him!..hmmm

And as all Cat owners know...there is only one..Monarch in the House!..and it ain't us..or them smelly old Dogs!! :no:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Dogs are easy and can usually be trained well without any problems. Cats on the other hand mostly do as they please. I had a cat in my youth (it died many, many years ago) and I remember well the look he had on his face when I quite diplomatically tried to make him do something that he didn't like all that much. It was a strange mixture of amusement and contempt. Damn bugger must have been laughing at me in his shifty mind! :grin:

Indeed Hasse...Cats merely use us for their own enjoyment and comfort!

Parky,

I see from your picture that one of your cats is a siamese, I just can't quite make out the colouring, it he/she a seal or chocolate point, and if so how young is he/she.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

The kitty you're asking about is in fact a Siamese "variant" often referred to as "Balinese". The Balinese started out as a mutation that affected one kitten from a Siamese litter some years ago, but through subsequent selective breeding, the Balinese is now a recognized breed of it's own. The main difference between the Siamese and Balinese is the longer fur and plume-like tail that is associated with the Balinese or Siamese variant. The longer fur isn't really evident in her picture as the hair on the body lays flat, and her fluffy tail isn't really visible. The other differences worthy of note are the much softer voice and calmer demeanor of the Balinese. I'm sure you've heard the wail of a true Siamese. It can sound very much like a baby crying (LOUDLY).....and fortunately that trait is not evident with our cat....lol. The Balinese are quite vocal nonetheless. As a matter of fact, Sasha will carry on quite a lengthy conversation with me when she's in the mood, and just like a typical female, always has to have the last meow. She's the first purebred cat we've ever owned. No.....strike that silly idea. She's the first purebred cat who's ever owned US! She's extremely clever, demands almost constant attention, and is almost dog-like in her behavior. Pretty much like a little shadow, she follows me everywhere. She's absolutely adorable and we love her to death. Oh.....and she's a Sealpoint as far as I know, and 2 and a half years old

Speaking of "dog-like" behavior in cats, the grey Tomcat in the picture has a habit of going upstairs and retreiving my wife's slippers on a regular basis. Not just slippers, but socks, T-shirts and basically anything else we're careless enough to leave laying around on the floor. We have to be careful to close the bedroom and laundry room doors when we have company over...lol. I expect the behavior is the equivilent of cats who have been known to present their loved ones with gifts in the form of a recently captured bird or mouse. Whatever the motivation behind it, it's damned funny to watch and most endearing.

Cheers Mate,

Parky

Edited by Parky

Well, cats and dogs are quite different, and shouldn't be compared.

But it is not so, that the cat doesn't need it's human friend. They even follow you, when you leave the

house, and the last cat we had, would try to "speak" with us - he could really make very different

"Meeows", and I almost always knew what he wanted.

I had to care about a very dear tom cat, when his owner was in Africa, and the fellow was very peaceful.

But when it became too quiet, me being at the forum since a long time, he came and sat down to my left.

He would sit there like a Ming vase and look at me.

If I looked back at him, he would feel encouraged to jump on the desk - there is only a small angle left

of my keyboard and mouse - and he would sit there as straight and orderly as a cat could.

But if I spoke to him, or even stroke him, he would give up all countenance, and suddenly "collapse"

over my mouse and keyboard (keys pressed accidently, programs might get shut!) like a furry fluffy

mass of a cat. I could not resist and poked my nose in his white belly fur, which made him purr.

Now he knew, he had won my full attention, and he enjoyed it!

Both cats and dogs can be master manipulators. They quickly learn what is the best way to gain their owner's (or other people's) attention. And once they know it, they won't hesitate to use their power.

Dogs are easy and can usually be trained well without any problems. Cats on the other hand mostly do as they please. I had a cat in my youth (it died many, many years ago) and I remember well the look he had on his face when I quite diplomatically tried to make him do something that he didn't like all that much. It was a strange mixture of amusement and contempt. Damn bugger must have been laughing at me in his shifty mind! :grin:

I'd like to differ a bit on this. Maybe it's because of their genetics but our two male kitties, both at 9 years of age have actually been pretty sweet little companions. They're littermates, both found at a road wayside in a damp cardboard box. They were half starved and about 4 to 5 weeks in age when we found them, if no-one had found them I shudder to think what their fate would have been.

I'm guessing they're some sort of Havana Brown-Oriental Shorthair mix. Very thin and pretty vocal. Our more bold one accompanies me to our mailbox, about a 1/2 mile round trip, nearly daily. He's in my lap now giving me the "Lets go get the mail" look. They used to try to follow me on my bike trips, once discovered that Pums had ran along about 2 miles following me at a trot, meowing his head off.

Crazy cats, but gems, the pair of them.