Sign in to follow this  
Herr Prop-Wasche

Pup 80hp and 110hp versions

Does anyone have any information on the dates and squadrons which flew each version of the Sopwith Pup? I'm working on an FM mod that would allow flyers to use either the 80hp or 100hp version at their historically correct time, but I have little reliable information in that regard. Any significant performance differences would also be appreciated.

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

I tried to find this information myself once, when I built an RC version. Didn't have any luck. I managed to locate all sorts of data but the introduction date of the 110hp engine eluded me. I do remember someone telling me that it depended which factory it was made in but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Good luck with your search.

Have you tried asking at the Aerodrome Forum? There's a few really knowledgeable folks who post over there.

Speculation on my part, but I seem to recall that some of the earliest versions came with the unthrottleable Gnome 80 hp and were a handful when descending because of the relatively clean aerodynamics of the Pup compared to it's contemporaries. Damage to the engine from over revving or 'coup'ing too much and fouling the spark plugs or worse, causing a cowling fire. I suppose that learning to sideslip became an early Pup pilot skill.

Aerodrome is my next stop, but I keep forgetting my password and have to reset it! Damn and blast!

Early prototypes had 80hp Clerget, I think, the majority 80hp Le Rhone, and a few Home Defence versions had the 100hp Gnome Monosoupape.

Bletchley

Thanks, Bletchley. I did learn that most Pups were equipped with the 80HP Le Rhone and some were replaced by the 100HP Gnome. Do you know of any 100HP versions that served in France?

Thanks, Bletchley. I did learn that most Pups were equipped with the 80HP Le Rhone and some were replaced by the 100HP Gnome. Do you know of any 100HP versions that served in France?

[/quote

As far as I know, the 100hp was Home Defense only.

You're right Bletchly but the first prototype had a 80hp Le Rhone. After testing a further 2 prototypes were ordered and they had 80hp Clerget for power as did subsequent production models. It wasn't long 'till the clerget was replaced with the Le Rhone though.

per the Pup 'Bible' - "The Sopwith Pup', Bruce, Page, Sturtivant, all the Pups which served in France were fitted with either the 80 hp Clerget, or the 80hp LeRhone. The 100 hp Gnome fitted Pups served with the HD squadrons.

Cheers,

shredward

Edited by shredward

If you are going to do the multi-engine Pup, are you thinking about doing the multi-engined Camel, Spad VII, and Spad XIII too ???

Panama Red -

Nice to see that name again. Terrific ground breaking work from early RB3 days !!!

Regards,

Royce

Thats funny because i was doing the very same research for a mod for first eagles.

And i was wondering what was the link between the (very) old 50hp gnome engine and the pup.

Here it is (from wikipedia):

In 1915, Sopwith produced a personal aircraft for the company's test pilot Harry Hawker, a single-seat, tractor biplane powered by a 50 hp Gnome rotary engine. This became known as Hawker's Runabout; another four similar aircraft have been tentatively identified as Sopwith Sparrows. Sopwith next developed a larger fighter that was heavily influenced by this design,
:grin:

I think that the one flown by Harry Hawker did not have ailerons but when further developed as a fighter it did, of course.:drinks:

Panama Red--

It is nice indeed to hear from a old friend and companion from the RB2 and RB3D days on the Delphi forum!

In answer to your question: maybe. It depends on how much time and energy I can devote to it. I'm working on making some minor alterations to the current FM of some of the planes first. If I can get the FM of the current planes more to my liking, I might go on and work on the FM for some variations to the Camel, Spad, etc.

Herr Prop-Wasche:

I thank you.

I also enjoy all the work you have put into your OFF mods, it really improves the game in my opinion. :good:

Having made RB3D FM's in the past, I know just how much work it takes for you to get OFF's FM/s correct.

I am always looking forward to your new OFF mods, so please keep up the great work. :drinks:

PR-

Your wish is my command. :grin:

I should have a relative "flurry" of mods coming out very soon: the lastest version of my DM, and a couple of gun modifications. A little bit later, I hope to come out with an FM mod for the Albatross series. Don't expect any wild differences between the OFF FM and my FM, however! First, the OFF FM is pretty darn good, and two, I am a relative beginner with FM modding. So, keep your fingers crossed.

P.S. You don't happen to have any experience or advice modding FM's based on Combat Flight Simulator, do you? :wink:

HPW:

I have enjoyed your FM/DM mods so much that I have never had the inclination to play with the OFF FM's. As for the CFS3 FM's, I have had the Sim for years, but could nver get into it until P3 came a long and gave me a reason to reload CFS3 back onto my PC.

Like I said, thak you for your great mods and I am looking forward to your upcoming "flurry". :salute:

You must have a hold of one of my test FM's for the N28 or for one or more of the Albatross versions. All of the other FM's are currently OFF's, although I do have certain, shall we say, plans in that regard. :wink: