Sign in to follow this  
Javito1986

OT: What else are you playing right now besides OFF?

Next big mod? Which one? :)

Invasion 1944, they released version 2.5

Holy hell I wasn't aware I44 was out already. I remember when I first played that in 2004, blew me away. If my gaming life wasn't so busy with my RFC campaign / Crysis 2 multiplayer / Urn of Sacred Ashes quest in Dragon Age I'd give it an install right now.

Javito 1986, agree with you.

OFP Cold War Crisis was the best in my opinion :good:

wow!..I dont have Arma2...but I'm gonna get it, just to play that mod!!!

I never bought it, cos I have no interest in post 1945 combat...all this COD and MOH modern stuff is just pants (imho)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Wrong UK.

You should have it because you can have a million mods and because it's the only milsim. It happens one of them is Invasion 1944. There a lot of cool mods, missions etc. This is no Cod or MoH. Even the modern stuff is quite interesting.

Probably it's the game with the bigger mod community. http://www.armaholic.com/

And yes they are doing a WWI mod. But it's only in the beginning.

Edited by Von Paulus

I for one can't think of another game with such a huge mod community. Maybe Freespace 2? They've done AMAZING work with the source for that game.

Freespace 2 footage from 1999:

Freespace 2 footage from 2010:

For me the main problem with Freespace is the absence of cockpit.

FS's community is also big. I'm still waiting for the Galactica mod.

If you check the second of the three videos I posted you'll see there's cockpits now. Basically all new fighter models are being built with cockpits and they're going back and adding them for old models last I checked (a few months ago). Cockpit clearly distinguished here:

This must be recent.

AFAIK Wing Commander saga don't have it, yet. Good.

Edited by Von Paulus

There's some great trailers for Diaspora (the upcoming BSG mod for Freespace SCP) on youtube, just run a search. Trailers #3 and #4 are amazing.

Also, this one's for Widowmaker since he mentioned not having played ARMA 2:

Looks bloody good actually

Really surprised there only seems to be one guy in here flying DCS A-10 Warthog. I've been messing with it now for a few weeks, and it's nothing short of brilliant. Took me an entire weekend just to get the cold-start sequence figured out, and I still manage to screw it up every now and then. Very steep learning curve if you're inclined to go hard-core with it. The rewards are extremely gratifying though once you start to get the hang of things and manage to survive a sortie or two....particularly if you manage to actually destroy some targets. If you like a heavy dose of realism, this title is definitely worth a look. I think the guy who put this movie together manages to showcase some of it's features quite nicely. Perhaps he's got a future in Hollywood....damned impressive if you ask me.

Cheers,

Parky

Edited by Parky

Parky, there's a line (somewhere in my mind), that stops me of playing all the games I would like. :grin:

But, I hear that's really great like it was the Blackshark one.

it's too hardcore for me...If I cant start the engine by pressing 'E'...they've already lost me! :grin:

Agree with you 100% parky DCS A10 is a great flight sim,constant updates keep it up to date as well,very steep learning curve,but has a really good workable

training mode,the immense satisfaction you get when you actually hit something really does seem satisfying.lack of dynamic campaign eg:(freefalcon) only lets it down

2nd best sim i own (behind OFF of course):good:

it's too hardcore for me...If I cant start the engine by pressing 'E'...they've already lost me! :grin:

Good one, Widowmake!

It looks impressive and tempting, Parky, but I am more the dogfighter, and they must be prop driven.

Edited by Olham

I'd like to ask a question that's sort of tangential to the thread but has popped up in more oblique forms here, and I suppose elsewhere.

It's this.

We are fairly relaxed (if you can call it that) about playing OFF, probably because of its historical distance and, I hope, because of our scholarly interest in the subject matter.

Is there a difference if one plays a game like DCS A10? The reason I ask is because the historical - and almost physical - proximity of the conflicts involved is so much more reduced and might involve people that we actually know, or maybe in some cases, knew.

It brings to mind a straw poll of people - and it may have been CA - who were asked about which sides they flew on in their chosen combat sims, and I was a little surprised at how parochial people tended to be. In the case of the Arab/Israeli conflicts, it was clear that almost no-one ever flew in Egyptian or Syrian aircraft, for example. And yet, when presented with the opportunity to fly Nazi úber jet fighters into late 1945 and 1946, few people batted an eyelid. Except me apparently.

Do we, despite the fact that we probably all would like to see ourselves as scholastic (to some degree or other) and adherents to history (ditto) allow ourselves the true academic latitude that we pretend to? I suspect that in some cases we do not, and I further suspect that it has an awful lot to do with personal political motivation and the chronological proximity of conflicts as I've mentioned above.

I'd be interested to read other people's views on this. Sorry if I've taken this OT, but it's something that's bugged me for a while.

Cheers,

Si

Next big mod? Which one? :)

Invasion 1944, they released version 2.5

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!! :this: .... I bought Arma2...only to realise I need the combined ops version!!!!...to play the 1944 mod!! :mega_shok:

Ok..so now I'm stuck with a boring Modern sh*t-Shooter...are there any mods for it for WW2??

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

There isn't much mods for WW2, I'm afraid. ArmA is more cold war onwards.

Anyway you can use the old version of Invasion 1944:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=109417&highlight=31st

and 31st Normandy:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=91847

You've also in WIP:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=115081&highlight=31st

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=86488&highlight=31st

Arnaholic has everything related with ArmA. Try to search there,

http://www.armaholic.com/index.php

If you're only interested in WW2, then ArmA 2 won't be the best.

Youw ant this game: Heroes of Stalingrad (when released)

http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/about/

thanx for all those links Von Paulus,

I'm a big fan of ARMA2 and all the add-ons and patches.

cheers

m

Maybe one day, we can gather a couple of OFFers and do some mp. PvP CTF is funny. The main problem is that we're spread all around the world and have different time zones. But it could be funny.

Edited by Von Paulus

"Took me an entire weekend just to get the cold-start sequence figured out, and I still manage to screw it up every now and then."

Makes sense to me after having seen the inside of your case...hehehe...Still poken' at ya.

I was finally able to get the F-16 cold start down to 4 minutes in OF and FF5 without having to use the kneeboard. The learning curve is very steep indeed, but it is a little easier since your flying analog/mechanical and not digital fly-by-wire. I remember the first time I tried to go to full afterburner in the Falcon. I had missed a step in setting up the throttle during startup and when I pushed it past the detent, well lets just say that it was more like a fart than a good push.

I've just picked up a second used Cougar joystick and am in the process of modding it for floor mount using an extension and will have 4 small oil filled shocks mounted to the base of the shaft to give it that "mechanical" feel.

plug_nickel

I'd like to ask a question that's sort of tangential to the thread but has popped up in more oblique forms here, and I suppose elsewhere.

It's this.

We are fairly relaxed (if you can call it that) about playing OFF, probably because of its historical distance and, I hope, because of our scholarly interest in the subject matter.

Is there a difference if one plays a game like DCS A10? The reason I ask is because the historical - and almost physical - proximity of the conflicts involved is so much more reduced and might involve people that we actually know, or maybe in some cases, knew.

It brings to mind a straw poll of people - and it may have been CA - who were asked about which sides they flew on in their chosen combat sims, and I was a little surprised at how parochial people tended to be. In the case of the Arab/Israeli conflicts, it was clear that almost no-one ever flew in Egyptian or Syrian aircraft, for example. And yet, when presented with the opportunity to fly Nazi úber jet fighters into late 1945 and 1946, few people batted an eyelid. Except me apparently.

Do we, despite the fact that we probably all would like to see ourselves as scholastic (to some degree or other) and adherents to history (ditto) allow ourselves the true academic latitude that we pretend to? I suspect that in some cases we do not, and I further suspect that it has an awful lot to do with personal political motivation and the chronological proximity of conflicts as I've mentioned above.

I'd be interested to read other people's views on this. Sorry if I've taken this OT, but it's something that's bugged me for a while.

Cheers,

Si

Very interesting post. I, for one, am not motivated by any of the "political" parochial views or motivations that may or may not be intended, nor by the historical distance of or by the past or present proximity of any events that a game/sim may develop from.

What "drives" me to really become involved in a sim is the team that develops the sim, the fidelity and depth of the sim and to some extent, the passions and insight of forums that members develop from being involved with a game/sim.

The only flight "game" that I still keep that doesn't use any TIR support is Luftwaffe Commander. I think it was the first and only game developed in the genre strictly from the German side. It's a shame it wasn't developed further.

The more "recent" game/sims like OFF, FC2, OF, FF5, DCS A-10 demand your attention due to their complexity, systems accuracy and historical relevance and portrayal, hence the very steep learning curves. The current state of development, the accuracy to flight modeling, the fidelity that unfolds during a mission or campaign is what makes me want to be the most honest "pilot" that I can be and that means I need to understand the game/sim from all points of view. To me, a nationality only matters when I'm "flying" for that side. And in that regard, I "suspend" my personal convictions and learn more about the history and cultures because I want to know what was happening "locally" when involved with any squadron and the nation they're flying for.

5 cents worth of op.

plug_nickel