Sign in to follow this  
Shiloh

New to these forums and flight sims

Our first Christmas when we were dating she bought me an Xbox and I knew she was a keeper.

:rofl:

One more question - how do I take screenshots?

There is a key for screenshots - mine is F12 (not sure if that was default).

Check the "Controls" ingame by pressing "escape".

After making a screenshot, you'll later find it in:

(computer name) > My Documents > CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

Edited by Olham

Print Screen button and paste to Paint, or use Fraps.

You really need to get in close to shoot down planes. I mean damn close, to the point where you feel like your propeller will chop off his rudder.

Recommend you see Hellshade's video about aerial gunnery and maneuvering here. He makes it look easy the way he brings down enemies with just one or two bursts. I've been practicing it for months and I'm still only getting about 20 - 30% accuracy, I'm sure Hellshade's is higher still.

Maybe my problem is that I watched a lot of Hellshade's videos and he makes it look so easy to shoot from a distance that is far beyond the distance I should be attempting. Practice makes perfect and thanks much for the vid. :salute: I know about the print screen button in general but I thought I read others were using something else - maybe it was F12? Anyhow I was inspired by the great screenies in that section and want to see if I can get some good ones myself.

Edit: Just watched and that's a great vid!

:rofl:

There is a key for screenshots - mine is F12 (not sure if that was default).

Check the "Controls" ingame by pressing "escape".

After making a screenshot, you'll later find it in:

(computer name) > My Documents > CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

Thanks Olham!

Edited by Shiloh

Shiloh, don't sink back into your pillow like a loser.

Hellshade is an Ace of Aces - he has flown many sims and probably died some dozens of deaths,

before he got this good. I am pretty certain, that none of the real WW1 aces flew like this,simply because they had only one life to lose.

You have to trust your wood & canvas kite a lot to do tempting manoeuvres.

Perhaps you read "No Parachute!" by Arthur Gould Lee. There you will find a more normal development of a scout pilot.

To add more to the screen capture confusion my default screen capture keys are " ctrl + ; "

Happy to help, maybe too happy..:drinks:

Well my rig is going into the shop for a few days for a BIOS update to handle my new CPU...a little over my head I'm afraid. Progress is good but its a tough point to be grounded as my TrackIR will be here tomorrow I'm betting. But it's all for the best and hopefully I'm back flying in a few days. Keep up the good fight men. :salute:

Shiloh, set up a pilot to use in single flight and test flight situations. Don't use him for campaigns. For flying the rotary planes, use him in single free flights to get farmiliar with flying the rotary crates. They are all in a world of their own the way they handle in the air. A lot more rudder and aileron coordination is what I have to always get used to. The Fokker DrI is a nice turn fighter, but it's a lot more twitchy than an Albatros or Fokker DVII.

Same goes for the Camel versus the SE-5, or the SPADs. Get used to the Camel in freeflight single missions, like climbing and diving, and basic turns. Get a feel for that part, and once you are good at doing the basics, take her up high, and try some basic stunts like loops, and rolls. But make sure you have some altitude. Remember, nobody ever collided with the sky. That way, if you do go into a spin, you have some altitude to recover.

Good to practice spin recovery though. Give it a readthrough in SIA, pretty sure they mention it in their manual for the Camel.

Camel is most dangerous at low altitude. Very, very tempting to get too eager chasing down a bad guy and throw yourself into a stall and spin. Down you go...

Shiloh, set up a pilot to use in single flight and test flight situations. Don't use him for campaigns. For flying the rotary planes, use him in single free flights to get farmiliar with flying the rotary crates. They are all in a world of their own the way they handle in the air. A lot more rudder and aileron coordination is what I have to always get used to. The Fokker DrI is a nice turn fighter, but it's a lot more twitchy than an Albatros or Fokker DVII.

Same goes for the Camel versus the SE-5, or the SPADs. Get used to the Camel in freeflight single missions, like climbing and diving, and basic turns. Get a feel for that part, and once you are good at doing the basics, take her up high, and try some basic stunts like loops, and rolls. But make sure you have some altitude. Remember, nobody ever collided with the sky. That way, if you do go into a spin, you have some altitude to recover.

That's good advice. All these planes have very different characteristics and I just need to practice like you said when not feeling the pressure of a mission.

Most of the time I dont get out of spins.

I've found that in spins when you see the ground on the bottom of your screen then simply pull up and level her off. Right now I'm flying mostly in 3rd person view because I don't yet have my TrackIR (damn you UPS) but I've been able to pull out of spins almost every time.

I don't like the Camel BECAUSE of that stall at low altitude, that's the one place anyone using a Force-Feedback Joystick has a tremendous advantage.

You can feel the stall coming 1 second PRIOR to it's arrival, or you can just stall and die

Actually it's a shame that most have phased out Force-Feedback

It's only available new on the Logitech G940 System for like $270

Used on the Microsoft Sidewinder II

Time was Saitek and Logitech Both made one in the $50 Range . .No More

The Camel is a fussy plane and I'll think I'll keep away from her for now. If there was one plane I had trouble pulling out of spins with it was this one.

Hi Shiloh...sorry I'm late to the party...but welcome to the forum!

My advice (for what it's worth) fly the SE5a....The Camel can be a real bitch!

Hi Shiloh...sorry I'm late to the party...but welcome to the forum!

My advice (for what it's worth) fly the SE5a....The Camel can be a real bitch!

Thanks Widowmaker...have a drink will you? :drinks:

I've flown the SEFa a number of times and overall like the way it handles. The Camel is a bit over my head at my early development so I'll leave her to another day when I'm more experienced. :salute:

A gentle succession would also be the Sopwith Pup first, and then the Triplane.

Some RNAS units had that progression.

Although most Tripes still only had one gun, the must have been paradise.

Personally Speaking I always favored the Triplane, as for gunnery it just always felt more wide open to me. Was never very fond of the pointability or lack of same on the Pup

Granted it defies logic as I never actually aim my gun in the Triplane

Thankfully I'm able to choose on that basis, instead of being forced to fly what is given to me

I flew the Pup on one mission in the rain and wind with low cloud cover and she was all over the place. I'm not sure if it was because of the weather but she was tough to keep straight/level. I never got a chance to fight with her so I really can't comment on that.

The twin gun tripe is a nice piece of kit

Shiloh, the Pup generally behaves very well and is probably the easiest to fly rotary craft

in OFF besides the Tripe. She has a very strong lift though, which may make her hard to

fly in very windy weather?

I'm not sure if it was high wind or what but she didn't handle well when I flew her.

You can totally remove the effects of wind in workshop, useful when you're learning. You can always restore at a later date

That's good to know but I would rather keep it real which leads to my next question. How do I tell the wind speed/direction, etc?

Also my TrackIR arrived today but my rig is still in the shop. :mega_shok: They were supposed to do my BIOS update yesterday but the business next door was using an air compressor and it was making the lights flicker and they didn't want to risk it.

Edited by Shiloh

When attempting to land that crate, you'll have the direction of the Wind Sock at the airfield or the smoke from houses fireplaces. However when you're in flight, you'll only know when you get hit by it, as it is 1917

I'd suggest when you wish to learn how to fly. Try Quick Combat FREE FLIGHT as you'll be alone in the sky. Or you can just do what works

Ahhh...good ole WWI...wind socks and chimney smoke to determine wind direction. I'm pretty sure I was facing some rough wind as I can't think of anything else that would have made that Pup jump around like that.