Sign in to follow this  
Emp_Palpatine

Wearing the navy blue...

Hi there guys.

I remembered a topic here, "my KLU adventures". So I had the idea of starting my own in the same way.

Well, if all goes smoothly from now, in a few weeks, combatace will have a new serviceman among its ranks. Namely myself.

I've pondering the idea for two years from now actually. But I deemed my self not in shape enough, both physically and mentally (you know, the "will I be able to do this?" stuff) to do the step forward. Up until last fall when I made my mind and applied to the Navy..

Well, as I am supposed to have quite high qualifications because of my Master Degree and other bulls**ts (I am always quite sceptical regarding such assumptions linked to my so called diplomas), I've been oriented towards two specific position as an officer in French Navy, nicknamed "La Royale" (the Royal):

- First one is called "[Naval] Operation control", a bridge based one.

- Second one, the one I prefer, is "Air operation control". As I can't be pilot due to my sight and poor sciences and stuffs like this abilities, that's the closest to the planes I can dream of. Basically, working with the Carrier Air Group in planing missions. Heck, had I been 12 years older, I could have worked with such legend as the Crusader! Obsolete indeed, but what a beauty!

So, I applied last september and waited (recruiting processus is quite long).

I was finally called for an interview with a recruiting officer last November. Things went quite ok, and the Enseigne de vaisseau de première classe, i.e. Lieutenant, that met me was quite charming. Indeed she was, probably a trick to lure pure and innocent men like me. :grin:

I was quite worried, because of my age (I tend to 27, wich is the maximum acceptable age) and a few other things. But questions were quite standard and she did not tried to trick me. Only checking my motivation, and if I was quite aware of where I was signing in.

Following this, I was called for the medical examination following month! Step one, accomplished!

Step two was a cake walk too actually. I worried before, because my sight especially. It's not that poor, I can live without my glasses. But it's far from perfect. I'm not applying to the Marine Infantry or to be a pilot, where you have to be perfect, but one of the two position has aminimum requirement.

The nurse that dealt with me was once again charming and friendly. I am quite afraid of medical stuffs and white blouses, but she was very reassuring. Gods, I hate them hospitals... But I was declared, after a check by the Chief doc' "Bon pour le service", i.e. fit for service.

Well, Chief doc' wasn't that friendly. She was very protocolar and I instinctly stiffened when she spoke. Was the first time I was quite militarily dealt with. And as I like discipline and visible hierarchy, it was no problem for me. I hated, the office "we are all friends" mood, with casual wears and stuffs. It has a name: hypocrisy. Regardless, I out of that world now, and I'm fit for service.

Step 2 check.

And now, we are nearing step 3: Last month, a recruiting commission scrutinised our applications forms and files (those were quite thick indeed, from parents details to intelligence enquiries, among other things) and shortlisted some of the candidates.

And I've indeed been called for the last batch of examinations, along with others. Of course, there is more candidates than there is positions...

Tomorrow, I'm leaving for a week in Toulon, one of France's war harbor. I will face some medical testing again. My english will be tested too (NATO, interroperability with our allies and stuffs), we'll visit docked units (if any... F.Navy is quite stretched nowadays, from Libya to A-Stan, antipiracy duties, Côte d'Ivoire...), meet the ones that proceeded through the recruiting last year and have interviews with officers and psy evals.

I'm not that worried with the interviews as I've been formed to such things in my studies. English does not worry me too much too. My writing sills aren't that good, but it's an oral exam, and if I'm too believe an australian friend, I'm ok, despite my "charming french accent". I am able to watch movies or english speaking channels without subs, so I'm fluent regarding reading and understanding and speaking. If there is no essay, it will be a go. Psy evals are the big question mark. We'll see.

This is the last step, and all will be in God's hands. If all goes well, and I am selectionned, next month I will be called to be asked to join my unit sometime in June.

If I am able and find the time, I'll try an update from Toulon. Either way, be sure you'll be updated by the time I'm back in Lille.

(As a side note, being called to Toulon for someone from Lille is like being called to Florida for a guy from Boston. Quite a way, and hot as hell! :heat: )

Edited by Emp_Palpatine

Bonne chance de la part d un TDA de la Force Navale Belge (la vraie)

Good luck my friend.

Bonne chance de la part d un TDA de la Force Navale Belge (la vraie)

Merci!

Un de mes cousins est un ancien de la Force Navale.

En bon flamand de France, une bonne moitié de la famille est de l'autre côté de la frontière. / And as I don't know where your are from Belgium: Dank je. Ik heb een neef dat is Marinecomponent gepensioneerd. Als veelen Frans Vlaamsen, ik heb veel familie in Belgie.

Actually if I had had Belgian nationality as well, I might have choosen Belgium's navy. :grin:

Thanks to all, friends!

I'm going to have couples of beers and manly food right now with friends, in order to have some fun before my departure tomorrow morning. So here are for you all! :drinks:

See you in one week!

Edited by Emp_Palpatine

Hey guys.

I'm back!

I'm now browsing CA for new topics and stuff, but I will update this here topic in a few minutes/hours.

Don't know if I'm going to be one of the choosen ones, but it was just an awesome week.

Stay tuned for a more detailled feedback very soon. :drinks:

So, time for feedback following my testing week. I've been back for a week now, a little more than the hours I spoke of, but hey, better late than never.

So, I took the train at 6 A.M and rode for a little more than ten hours from Lille to Toulon. I had actually two short stops, in order to switch train, one in Lyon, the other in Marseilles.

Here's a little map of France to put things back in context:

visite-france.gif

From Lille in Flanders, to Toulon in Province. Quite a ride. Somewhat 1.200 kilometers. Don't ask me whatever it is in miles or in any Imperial/U.S scales and measures, I've never been able to understand these. :grin:

Well, whatever. So, I'm in Toulon, where I headed to the war port. After some checking with the guys at the main gate, I am in.

First thought: this is HUGE. Toulon's war port is one of the biggest in Europe I guess. At least on the mediterranean shores. I think Italy (where U.S 6th fleet is) or perhaps Turkey do have a bigger one, but I can't be affirmative. Well, it does not matter actually, I just wanted to say that it's huge!

Actually, there is a bus network inside the base, but of coooourse, it was off when I arrived. So I had to walk from main gate to my room, with my bags and stuffs. It took me like 40 minutes, that is at least 3 kilometers.

Rooms were quite OK, they are supposed to be for two dudes (or girls, but of courses rooms are unisex, so don't hold your breath waiting for a hot roommates), but it turned out that I was alone for the whole week.

Two beds, shower & WC, a television set and the unevitables closets. Well, I've quite spartan tastes, so I felt at home.

People in the base were most of the time very friendly and it seems that in the Navy, discipline isn't as rigid as in the army. At least on land. From what we were told, things are way different at sea.

So, of course, lots of servicemen. Quite a lot of servicewomen too, French Navy seems to have its share. The able seaman that drove my group of candidates for the week was actually a she.

And she was quite funny and friendly, very southern (well, like french southern, not US southern) in her way of being.

Food was quite good too. Nothing that great, but nothing bad. So, let's see the rest:

We were eight in that week batch of candidates. Some were quite great, the ones that are born officers, the sort of guy you would follow into battle without any questions: humble, calm, sense of humour, great maturity. Others weren't. As for me? I don't like to auto-evaluate myself. We'll see! But all guys were OK and friendly. The overall mood within our group was good and cohesive. :good:

First day, the morning following my arrival, was dedicated to medical stuffs. Again...

They did all sort of things; urine and blood samples, X-rays, in depth vision & hearing tests, electroencephalogram, and other stuffs.

Well, turned out I'm ok, but I have too provide them with up to date checks related to old medical case history like kidney stones as they want them for the record... and to be sure I'm now clean. The funny thing was when I met the Chief doc, that is a somewhat cold and protocolar guy... he asked me about my family name, as I do share it with some champagne's label. Well, wasn't aware of it, as I told him, and I further more added: my family is actually from Flanders since several centuries... and then, he lightened up and became very friendly and even tried to speak flemish with me. Turned out he was from there too (I after that spotted his little flanders flag on the desk) and was quite happy to see a fellow. I was quite lucky as he hadn't been that nice with the seven others! :cool:

Second day was dedicated to IQ & psychotechnical tests and stuff like that. Nothing great here. But in the afternoon, we had won a ride! They made us visit Huyères Base aéronavale (fleet air arm base) a few dozen kilometers from Toulon and a warship. :good:

In Hyères, we saw some super étendard in the distance, but we weren't schedulded in that part of the base, so no visit. But we saw brand new NH-90 (and even visited one) and a few Lynx. One had a great paint scheme I would have love to take a photo of, for our beloved skin makers here.

Then we rode back to Toulon and visited a anti-aircraft frigate. That was great too. Combat ops room, the bridge, engine room, all are quite impressive and it's very motivating.

Next day, I had some group working test and the feared jury. I had to entertain them with "France in NATO" as a subject. Well, with a master degree in international relation, that part went good. The other part of the jury was more challenging, as they tried to "score" againt me on a lot of matters, and sometime managed. I can't say if I was good or not, let's wait fingers crossed.

And finally, I had to meet some psychologist (who asked me about submarines, 'cause I'm a calm guy and it seems that I match the profile for such jobs) and had my english oral test. That went good. My accent was even better than I expected. I'm a little be less rusty that I thought.

And that was other!

And I had a day left until I can use my return ticket. So I visited the town with the "born officer" guy with whom I got on very well. That was great too. Then, back to home!

Well, to conclude...

Even if it get nowhere and I'm not selectionned, it was a great & interesting week. I must say I loved the military mood & universe. I've always been attracted to it, but being in immersion for a week was a confirmation. Saddly, i'm quite too old now for other positions, still there are some in the Armée de l'Air that could be interesting. I'm now waiting for the selection to be other. Fingers crossed!

And you'll have some pics as a bonus!

Bonne chance. And don't worry about the charming French accent, it has always matched well with the charming outdated red bobble (well, not for officers, I know).

Bonne chance. And don't worry about the charming French accent, it has always matched well with the charming outdated red bobble (well, not for officers, I know).

Indeed, from what I've been told, it still has its effect on girls during calls or with allied service women. :rofl:

Indeed, from what I've been told, it still has its effect on girls during calls or with allied service women. :rofl:

As a matter of fact, the most effective means of calling the attention of a woman is usually the uniform. Navy specially. A friend of mine, "untouched" when he joined, had a boost as a midshipman. Even my girlfriend is trying to convince me of not joining the police but the navy.

As a matter of fact, the most effective means of calling the attention of a woman is usually the uniform. Navy specially. A friend of mine, "untouched" when he joined, had a boost as a midshipman. Even my girlfriend is trying to convince me of not joining the police but the navy.

Alas, the Village People have given such an unmanly image of the US Navy white dress uniform, that you could believe that their trousers have a backside zip!

you could believe that their trousers have a backside zip!

Didn´t they?

Alas, the Village People have given such an unmanly image of the US Navy white dress uniform, that you could believe that their trousers have a backside zip!

Should I guess that the psy that asked me about submarines was far out of "don't ask, don't tell" and was, well, interested? :rofl:

BTW, Pics are coming, I just need an adaptator to link my crappy cell phone to the PC.

Well guys, results are out.

Looks like it's a FAIL.

Thanks for your past support all the same!

Now it's time to find another goal for my life...

Sorry man, keep it up