Sign in to follow this  
33LIMA

Possible map improvements

Two things I want to try:

1. Planning map - compared to CFS3, this is really quite a good map but especially for FE, it is spoiled by being blotted out in places by the intrusive and 'gamey' symbols for friendly airfields and ground units. this isn't to bad for the other SF titles but for the crowded Western Front it's just a big mess of conventional symbols. What I would like to do is:

(i) replace the 'cross and cockade' airfield symbols with a simple, much less obtrusive black plane silhouette, the same for both sides. 'Ownership' will be evident from which side of the Lines it is on, tho it could be made blue or red, I'd go for just black for both sides.

(ii) replace the (ground) unit symbols with ones without the blue and red bacgrounds, just the divisional symbol , 'wire frame' style, with a transparent background.

I think this would make the planning map not just better to look at, but much better for orienting yourself before the flight - identifying landmarks for navigation, especially re your objective area, that sort of thing. I haven't seen a mod for this but if I manage to crack it , I'll post it up if there's any interest - I'm not much use with paint proggies but can probably manage this, assuming it's about locating and editing the 'offending' .tga files.

2. In flight map - this is too much like having an AWACS; fine for the modern era, even WW2 when you had planes operating with radar-equipped ground controllers, but not for WW1 without radios, let alone radar. This REALLY needs to change; it's about FE's least satisfacory single feature, right now. I'd like to see:

(i) as a minimum, no enemy plane icons.

(ii) preferably, no friendly plane icons either, just your own plane and flightpath.

(iii) best of all, no icons or markings at all, so you can navigate by eye, which looks very possible, considering the short distances involved and the fact the map can be related quite well with what you can see in the 3D world. This would introduce a whole new level of realism and interest to FE, not everyone's cup of tea but would be a big keeper for me (and I'm no study sim grognard).

I saw on the forum here that (ii) can be done but can't find where or how.

Any thoughts/suggestions/pointers, guys???

the planning maps are locating in each of the terrain cat files; they're bmps and not too easily edited (even with the clone tool), but it CAN be done

there's an ini to edit that will remove all icons; just can't remember which one (it's the same for all 3W sims)

There are replacement icons (albeit for WW2), somewhere in the 1stGen SF/Wo* downloads section. Those'll give you some idea as to what's what. The FE/FE2 icons are in one of the Flight cats (disremember which)

edit: look in the MissionControlin, found in the MissionData.cat; a simple text edit will remove them

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

the planning maps are locating in each of the terrain cat files; they're bmps and not too easily edited (even with the clone tool), but it CAN be done

there's an ini to edit that will remove all icons; just can't remember which one (it's the same for all 3W sims)

There are replacement icons (albeit for WW2), somewhere in the 1stGen SF/Wo* downloads section. Those'll give you some idea as to what's what. The FE/FE2 icons are in one of the Flight cats (disremember which)

edit: look in the MissionControlin, found in the MissionData.cat; a simple text edit will remove them

wrench

kevin stein

Cheers Kevin, I have just located the inflight map's plane icon lines in the missiondata.ini file and put a couple of forward slashes in front of each to comment them out. So am now flying with just the waypoints and my own 'heading line' shown on the inflight map, will try that for a while and if I feel ok with it, then see if I can aslo edit out the heading line and just keep the waypoint icons, without getting lost. At least I have lost the completely unrealistic AWACS effect which made life far too easy, as it seemed to me that it showed up planes which should be out of visual range. Back to scanning the skies for trails of "Archie" and watching out for the 'Hun in the sun', just like the real thing! I am now flying also with the 3D world's enemy and own plane 'info boxes' commented out too; with the padlock box and cone still available but reduced in size, FE is now looking a whole lot better as well as feeling a whole lot more realistic. Brilliant little sim, this, glad I got back into it.

For reference - anyone doing this in FE2 can also extract HUDDATA.ini - TK added some more options after I moaned about using the map.

In FE1 I put a blank transparent ENEMYMAPICON.tga into the flight folder which also removed enemy planes from the map.

various ways to get round this luckily....

[Debug]

DisplayDebug=FALSE

TextFontName=Arial

TextSize=20

[smallLabelFont]

TextFontName=Arial

TextSize=12

[HUDLabels]

EnableLabels=FALSE

LabelFriendlyAir=TRUE

LabelFriendlyGround=TRUE

LabelEnemyAir=TRUE

LabelEnemyGround=TRUE

[MapLabels]

EnableLabels=FALSE

LabelFriendlyAir=TRUE

LabelFriendlyGround=TRUE

LabelEnemyAir=TRUE

LabelEnemyGround=TRUE

[infoDisplay]

BackgroundImage=TextBackground.tga

BottomLeftPosition=0.01,0.985

BottomRightPosition=0.99,0.985

DisplayWidth=0.20

VerticalBorder=0.0015

HorizontalBorder=0.008

EnemyTargetColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0

FriendlyTargetColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,1.0

UnknownTargetColor=1.0,1.0,0.0,1.0

WaypointColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0

TextFile=HUDText.str

NormalColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0

WarningColor1=1.0,1.0,0.0,1.0

WarningColor2=1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0

AGLAltStart=609.6

AGLAltWarning=152.4

EnglishUnitUseMPH=TRUE

[Map]

MapDisplayLabels=FALSE

[Display001]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_ENEMY

ConeSize=25

BoxSize=10

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,0.75

ConeModelName=redcone

[Display002]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_FRIENDLY

ConeSize=25

BoxSize=10

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,0.75

ConeModelName=bluecone

[Display003]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=NEXT_WAYPOINT

ConeSize=25

BoxSize=10

BoxType=TRIANGLE

BoxColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,0.75

ConeModelName=whitecone

Edited by MigBuster

Hello!

I think so. For the flight map I made ​​these images, no big deal but on the map and you can not know the nationality of each bird:

Flight-Map_Plane_Icons.rar

I really did not know that "INI"should be changed, but my idea was that the map can only see the waypoints. What parameters have you changed? What is the INI?

For the planning map, I wanted to complete with the names of towns, boundaries of countries, etc. Ie add geographical data to assist planning of navigation and be more clear the area to be covered, etc. At the moment I'm pretty busy, but at some point I will make these maps. If someone has done something like this and want to share I would be very grateful.

In FE1, to remove the plane icons from the inflight map, I added two forward slashes to the 'Friendly/enemyicon' lines below in the MISSIONCONTROL.INI file after extracting it from Missiondata.cat in the Flight folder; I could I think have done that for other lines too, for example if I wanted to remove the waypoint markers and maybe also the 'heading line':

[Map]

UseRelativeAlignment=FALSE

RotateRunwayHeading=FALSE

MapIconSize=32

//FriendlyIcon=MapFriendlyIcon.tga

//EnemyIcon=MapEnemyIcon.tga

FriendlyRunwayIcon=MapFriendlyRunwayIcon.tga

EnemyRunwayIcon=MapEnemyRunwayIcon.tga

RadarIcon=MapRadarIcon.tga

WaypointIconSize=16

WaypointIcon=MapWaypointIcon.tga

IPIcon=MapIPIcon.tga

TargetIcon=MapTargetIcon.tga

WaypointLineColor=0.914,0.777,0.230

GridLineColor=0.0,0.0,0.0

GridTextColor=0.0,0.0,0.0

MinorGridLineColor=0.0,0.0,0.0,0.8

MinorGridTextColor=0.0,0.0,0.0,0.4

TextFontName=Arial

TextSize=12

To remove my plane and the targeted enemy plane's flight info boxes from the in-game 3D world, I added two forward slashes to the lines below in HUDDATA.INI file after extracting it from Flightdata.cat in the Flight folder:

[infoDisplay]

BackgroundImage=TextBackground.tga

//BottomLeftPosition=0.01,0.985

//BottomRightPosition=0.99,0.985

DisplayWidth=0.20

In the same file, I changed some of the entries in the sections below, to reduce the size of the enemy 'red box'/'red cone' marker, reduce the similar friendly blue box/blue cone marker, and remove the waypoint marker (white triangle and cone).

[Display001]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_ENEMY

[Display001]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_ENEMY

ConeSize=3

BoxSize=1

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,0.75

ConeModelName=redcone

[Display002]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_FRIENDLY

ConeSize=3

BoxSize=1

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,0.75

ConeModelName=bluecone

[Display003]

//DisplayType=DIRECTOR

//ObjectType=NEXT_WAYPOINT

//ConeSize=25

//BoxSize=10

//BoxType=TRIANGLE

//BoxColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,0.75

//ConeModelName=whitecone

All this removes the AWACS effect but means I can still use waypoints as navigation reference points. And I can still get a visible, but not too visible, box marker on padlocked planes, plus the edge-of-screen marker is still there; this I find useful if I snap back to the forward view to retain my orientation or momentarily lose my target behind a wing that I can't look over or around as easily as in real life. I would have liked the ability to switch off and on some of these things in-flight, but I having to make a choice I prefer them off; at the low speeds and altitudes involved I don't much miss having HUD data (I tend to fly in external view until just before combat, I just love the look of those planes).

Hasten to add that all of this is either taken directly from, or worked out using, the informative posts made here by others who know a lot more about this than I do.

Good luck with the work on the planning map, less icon clutter and more place names etc, this would be a VERY worthwhile mod.

Edited by 33LIMA

these are all very old trick, dating back to SF1's first release (should be something somewhere in the old SF/Wo* KB)

here's another, to reove the background on the data display, and inflight messages:

[infoDisplay]

//BackgroundImage=TextBackground.tga <--

DisplayWidth=0.20

VerticalBorder=0.0015

HorizontalBorder=0.008

TextFile=HUDText.str

AGLAltStart=609.6

AGLAltWarning=152.4

EnglishUnitUseMPH=TRUE

the real beauty of TKs stuff, is EVERYTHING is the same across the board!

wrench

kevin stein

these are all very old trick, dating back to SF1's first release (should be something somewhere in the old SF/Wo* KB)

here's another, to reove the background on the data display, and inflight messages:

[infoDisplay]

//BackgroundImage=TextBackground.tga <--

DisplayWidth=0.20

VerticalBorder=0.0015

HorizontalBorder=0.008

TextFile=HUDText.str

AGLAltStart=609.6

AGLAltWarning=152.4

EnglishUnitUseMPH=TRUE

the real beauty of TKs stuff, is EVERYTHING is the same across the board!

wrench

kevin stein

Hi Kevin

Yes I think it was the knowledge base here, the thread on editing .ini files, where I found these tips, great stuff.

Is there a way to remove the actual in-flight messages as oposed to the backgrounds? Having supressed the red enemy 'target info panel' completely, but left a reduced-size target box/cone, I don't want the message popping up bottom centre, telling me "SE5A targeted" or "Approaching objective, Autopilot disengaged" as I prefer to work out for myself where I am and what that suspicious speck in the sky is, that I'm targeting.

Ivor

Edited by 33LIMA

According to TK, you can't get rid of the path lines from one waypoint to another. I slapped this together, if anyone wants it, I'll upload the new .tgas, and changes to the missioncontrol.ini as a mod. The Xs are waypoints, as if drawn in pencil on a map, the square is the initial point, and I left the red triangle for the target. The squadron CO put it in red, so you chaps wouldn't miss it. The dots are airfields, and no aircraft icons, friend or foe, appear.

http://combatace.com...19453-img00014/

Edited by Heck

Yes please Heck!

I have always considered flight path lines in WW1 flight sims as a real problem for immersion. The best way to explain this is Mannock's decision to join the RFC so as to escape the questionable authority of his fellow infantry officers, for the freedom of the sky and the freedom to fight the war as best he could without limitations. "Attack everything" can be tacitly undermined by those insistent long thing lines.

Cheers Grinseed

...sometime later after enlarging that map image....oops, the lines are still there, my bad...didnt see them in the smaller image, ...never the less Heck I would still like your 'pencilled in map'.

Edited by Grinseed

According to TK, you can't get rid of the path lines from one waypoint to another. I slapped this together, if anyone wants it, I'll upload the new .tgas, and changes to the missioncontrol.ini as a mod. The Xs are waypoints, as if drawn in pencil on a map, the square is the initial point, and I left the red triangle for the target. The squadron CO put it in red, so you chaps wouldn't miss it. The dots are airfields, and no aircraft icons, friend or foe, appear.

http://combatace.com...19453-img00014/

Yes I for one would be interested in this, cheers. For airfield markerss, I have edited-in the Spad and Fokker plane symbols, that I have stopped appearing as 'plane-in-flight' markers, to appear instead as airfield markers, in place of the cross and cockade tga's. You might want to apply that too; I've just realised that it IS necessary to differentiate friendly and enemy airfields, because the March offensive has moved the front away from the old trench lines in my current campaign and so I can no longer tell where the current front is on the inflight map and therefore whether some airfields are ours or theirs. I like the waypoint/target markers tho, X marks the spot.

Next thing is to see if I can replace the ground unit and airfield symbols on the planning map with something less obtrusive, another job for the CO's big red pen maybe. From a quick look at the planning map's .ini file it doesn't seen immediately obvious - to me, at any rate - how that can be done but where there's a will...

I'll lash it up in 7zip and you guys can do what you want with it. As far as the airfield thing goes, I'm leaving mine as it is. More than one unfortunate pilot in both World Wars became disoriented and landed at an opposing airfield. I suppose their Archie will give me a clue if I'm inadvertently stopping by for tea.grin.gif

Just uploaded, awaiting admin approval. Hope you enjoy. Feel free to use it as a start to something better.

Heck

Edited by Heck