Sign in to follow this  
Olham

"What is in the Picture?" - A P4 Screenshot Quiz

Absolutely right, Creaghorn, and faster than any WW1 kite, Sir. It's your turn now! :good:

no, lewie was faster :grin: . his post comes before mine, so it's his turn.

Edited by Creaghorn

Absolutely right, Creaghorn, and faster than any WW1 kite, Sir. It's your turn now! :good:

I'm sorry, am I invisible? :blink:

I fired up FS-WWI just to check my answers..

post-65486-0-37643000-1303411258.jpg

Edited by Lewie

On creaghorn's say so I'm going to post this..

the questions are assuming you know what this early war kite is

1. What was a variation of this aircraft's most famous contribution to air combat?

2. What is the aircraft that inherited this aircraft's innovation, and it's also the one that gets the most mention as this innovation's first use, which it wasn't.

3. And what famous French ace got his first combat win in this aircraft?

post-65486-0-41891400-1303412259.jpg

On creaghorn's say so I'm going to post this..

the questions are assuming you know what this early war kite is

1. What was a variation of this aircraft's most famous contribution to air combat?

2. What is the aircraft that inherited this aircraft's innovation, and it's also the one that gets the most mention as this innovation's first use, which it wasn't.

3. And what famous French ace got his first combat win in this aircraft?

1. the deflection blades? (at the morane bullet)

2. fokker EIII?

3. Georges Guynemer.

Edited by Creaghorn

1. the deflection blades? (at the morane bullet)

2. fokker EIII?

3. Georges Guynemer.

question 1;, 'What was a variation of this aircraft's most famous contribution to air combat?'

1. Yes Creaghorn partially correct as the deflector blades were the most crucial element to shooting a gun through a prop arc, BTW the single seat 'L' was the first use of the MG deflector blades for the prop in air combat, and consequently the first through prop 'fighter' in air combat.

question 2; 'What is the aircraft that inherited this aircraft's innovation, and it's also the one that gets the most mention as this innovation's first use, which it wasn't.'

2. Yes I will give this to Creaghorn because I didn't specify whether the aircraft in the question was Entente or German. I was looking for the Morane Bullet as an answer but as you know Garros deadstick landed behind German line with his single seat Morane Saulneir 'L' and wasn't able to burn it before the being captured. The rest is history, and why we have WWI flight combat sims.

question 3; 'what famous French ace got his first combat win in this aircraft?'

3. Yes, good show! you could have as easily said Garros, but he wasn't as famous and hadn't actually had his first victory in the two seater variant of the MS L.

Creaghorn's turn...

Okay, we should also have pics with only one or two questions, to make it easier. Here is my next picture:

1) What is the name and type no. of this fighter?

2) Name one major difference to it's predecessor

3) What are those "ear-type" things left and right of the craft's nose?

Airplane # 7

Bottle opener right side of cockpit

Ear Muffs

Wheres Waldo?

Fun contest idea Olham. I wish I was around more these days so I could participate. But I think I'll stay on the sidelines for now and cheer on the team.

Sorry, Lewie, but I could swear your post wasn't yet visible for me, while Creaghorn's was.

The other option would be, that my brain is getting more and more senile, which is not an option for me, as you may understand? :grin:

Tch! Carrick ... :cool:

Lou, when you see a post early enough (which is quite difficult to do here - they post faster than I can read!),

I would really love to see a contribution from you; as you would then ask some more interesting questions.

Edited by Olham

OK this is a bit OT in that it's not P4 screenshot related, but..

What is this aircraft?

What was it's historical significance?

What was Richthofen's nickname for the earlier version of this aircraft?

post-65486-0-79673400-1303419840.jpg

That is an AEG G.IV in the colors of a night bomber squadron. IIRC these were the first German bombers to feature an all-welded steel tube frame. I have no idea what MvR called them, unless it was "slow and ugly". :grin:

Lou

Lewie, please let us keep the idea of posting excerpts from P4 screenshots, okay? And didn't you say it was Creaghorn's turn?

Lewie, please let us keep the idea of posting excerpts from P4 screenshots, okay? And didn't you say it was Creaghorn's turn?

Sorry, I'll wait out a couple of turns, FWIW I was flying this between posts and I couldn't help myself. ..:dntknw:

Lou got the first two correct, the GII was called by MvR "the Great Apple Barge" when he served with the Ostend Carrier Pigeons flying this maxicrate. Of course Lou's answers don't count.

Interesting detail, Lewie. And sorry for you, Lou - please try to answer another?

So it's still your turn again, Creaghorn.

I thought I had killed this thread :dntknw: and it had such potential.

1. DH-2

2. Lewis drums, to be mounted on top of a Lewis machine gun.

They were also carried outside in a rig along the cockpit rim.

3. I guess, that it is a trim handle, to make inflight elevator trimming possible?

anyways..

1. Yes

2. yes

3. Yes

Olham wins this round.

Ok gents, we'll need to try a little harder with question #3,

This quiz is still open.

the Shredder

Edited by shredward

Aaah - so it's NOT a trim device? Lou? RAF_Louvert??? Dej??? Help!!!!

Ok gents, we'll need to try a little harder with question #3,

This quiz is still open.

the Shredder

Well from cockpit details included in the Dh2 in Targetware's Richthofen's Skies it's certainly connected to the joystick's crosspiece through those two springs as a preload sort of spring force for the elevator control. I can bring up a screen shot if it's needed.

Not to say that RS has the definitive answer, but the folks working on the 3D models did a lot of research on the interiors.

Well from cockpit details included in the Dh2 in Targetware's Richthofen's Skies it's certainly connected to the joystick's crosspiece through those two springs as a preload sort of spring force for the elevator control. I can bring up a screen shot if it's needed.

Not to say that RS has the definitive answer, but the folks working on the 3D models did a lot of research on the interiors.

The quiz is still open

Cheers,

the Shredder

Shredder, as Olham noted way back in post #20, that is the elevator trim lever and quadrant on the starboard side of the DH-2 cockpit, (it is very clearly illustrated in Windsock Data File 48).

Lou

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our four...no... Amongst our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

Frankly I was suprised and feared that I would be made to sit in the "comfy chair". :yikes:

Shredder, as Olham noted way back in post #20, that is the elevator trim lever and quadrant on the starboard side of the DH-2 cockpit, (it is very clearly illustrated in Windsock Data File 48).

Lou

Now we're getting somewhere.

Cheers,

the Shredder

Now we're getting somewhere.

Cheers,

the Shredder

And tell us class, for full marks, what is the full name of a 'quadrant', and what is it's function?

Well Shredder, in this application, I should think it's full name would be something like 'elevator trim control quadrant', and it's function would be to adjust the neutral angle of incidence of the elevator once in flight, in order to compensate for the DH-2's inherent tail-heavy attitude.

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our four...no...

Amongst our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

:rofl::good:

This is getting interesting, although some pilots in this briefing seem to be bonkers, but hell,

that's what all this air combat does to us, I suppose.

Now, Lou, do your best, and the next turn will be yours!

Or if you tell us what it is precisely, it will be your turn, Shredder.

Edited by Olham